Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Chrome Crossfire and Side Pipes

Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Crossfire and Side Pipes

Im wondering what the cost would be to chrome paint or real chrome galvanization for a crossfire, and if it would look good if it had side pipes. (IE a 2004 Limited)

Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Chrome Crossfire and Side Pipes

Originally Posted by brando090
Im wondering what the cost would be to chrome paint or real chrome galvanization for a crossfire, and if it would look good if it had side pipes. (IE a 2004 Limited)
I don't know if this photograph gives you any idea of what it might look like (maybe if you use a lot of imagination).
Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

FP photo shopped Fritz's beautiful Alabaster Crossfire with a couple different side pipe ideas. But I just can't seem to find them. (Hopefully somebody else can).
Actually, by removing the lower rocker cover, it should be easy to mount a true side pipe fabricated from a chambered pipe. Ventilated aluminium side pipe covers are still being reproduced in several different styles. So I don't see why it couldn't be done.
Now the bad news, I don't know what the heck it would sound like, but probably not too great. Even if you installed a crossover pipe, I'm guessing it would still sound strange.
Dodge spent Thousands of dollars tuning the Gen III Viper side pipes, and many still didn't like it.
But if you want to be the 1st. to do it on the Crossfire, be my guest, and Good Luck.
Hope you have a good flame suit.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM

The chrome is a bit on the GAUDY side dontcha think? But side pipes look good on just about anything...I had EM on my Schwinn.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

68 Chevy Impala "sport coupe".. side pipes and loved them.. LOL. Just don't see it on the Crossfire myself though..

Didn't somebody photoshop a set in at one time? Did a search but couldn't find them..

Getting closer!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle.../1099044_3.jpg

Last edited by Mrmiata; 08-31-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by gehoben
The chrome is a bit on the GAUDY side dontcha think? But side pipes look good on just about anything...I had EM on my Schwinn.
gehoben, if you're refering to the brushed aluminium rocker moldings in the photo, they actually matched the fender strakes, windshield frame, and door handles perfectly.
Shelby Cobras, and classic Vettes use to where side pipes quite well.

Last edited by +fireamx; 08-30-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
gehoben, if you're refering to the brushed aluminium rocker moldings in the photo, they actually matched the fender strakes, windshield frame, and door handles perfectly.
Shelby Cobras, and classic Vettes use to where side pipes quite well.
Yup, the vettes are what i got the idea from. And they sound great on them.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by brando090
I see you are new here.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I see you are new here.
180's in the house.. He probably knows exactly where that photoshop copy with side pipes is!

Last edited by Mrmiata; 08-31-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM

Thanks MrMiata, how did you find them?
Having owned a car that has had dealer installed sidepipes for over 40 years now, there are a few rules when it comes to side pipes that should be considered.
Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

1, Always mount them very securely, and when ever possible use a stainless steel braided flex pipe when connecting the pipes to the engine. This will help absorb engine viberation and engine torque that tends to loosen up hardwear.
2.Never mount side pipes on a car unless it has a wheelbase shorter than 100". Any longer and they become lake pipes." Lakers" are an entirely different breed of car enthusiast.
3. When ever possible, install side pipes on cars with V8 engines. When mounted on anything less (and even sometimes more) they just don't sound quite right.
4.Always make it quite clear to all passengers to be very carefull while getting in and especially out of your vehicle. Heat shields can get very hot and will "brand" a bare legs, and melt pantyhose.
5.Always try to use a rear tire that's wide enough to obscure the side pipe from the rear angle view, because they tend to look like "running boards" when seen from behind.
6.Ear plugs, for everybody.

Last edited by +fireamx; 08-31-2012 at 11:16 AM.