Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

H7 high beam watts

Old 10-22-2016, 12:55 PM
DHS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H7 high beam watts

Ok, I see a lot about the HID lights for low beam and know they can not be used for high. I have the Morimoto kit ordered. Has any one put in the 100watt high beam bulbs or the 70watt bulbs. Will they generate to much heat for the buckets? Most of my driving is at night and I go for maximum high beam.

Dan
2005 SRT6

Old 10-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Re: H7 high beam watts

I can't answer your question, but if you are on Facebook, join "CRossfires in the South" - we have quite a big group in the area these days. We are meeting at car shows and at some of our homes in the area quite regularly - join us!

(And if you are not on FB, just make a fake account and join us anyway...)

Old 10-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How safe are you when someone mashes into you because you blinded them?
If that isn't a concern, courtesy should be.
In my opinion, if you think you need more light, you are driving to fast to begin with.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:03 PM
DHS

Yes commen courtesy is required when on the road and a good driver is aware of on coming traffic. So the difference is really are you a driver or just someone who is clueless on the road. My commute is in the early mourning in rural central Georgia, I see a dead deer at least twice a week and have sent four Bambi's to Deer Heaven. I would guess that each one cost about $1200 in damage not to mention the time in the body shop.
So since 1973 when a bolted on a set of Cibie's 195's with 100watt bulbs on my Capri I have had powerful head lights on every car I have owned. I believe excellent lighting is a safety factor and decrease the chance of an accident. Sticking to light standards that were established in the 1940's is not a good idea. I have never been stopped because of my lights, and try to be extremely conscious of my lights anytime I am driving at night. Three of the deer I hit I was not going over fifty when they ran into the road. Twice I feel the extra light gave me an extra few seconds to get on the brakes, still I hit them but at a cheaper speed!
And if you are one of those A-Holes who like to drive around with your brights on, 400 watts of light will get your attention real fast.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: H7 high beam watts

Cant believe that your discussing 70 or 100 watts, they are incandescent lamps. You should be using HID and get better color, focus, and illumination overall. The heat is way less, like 35 or 50 watts of dissipation for the lamps. I have had them for years and would not try filament lamps again unless I wanted to use them for paint drying in a booth. I have the in both high and low beam, best thing until the LEDS are commercially available.

Enjoy, Woody

Last edited by waldig; 10-22-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:03 PM
DHS

Thanks, I have been told that HIDs do not like cycling on and off and are best for low beams. I was told not to use them in the high beam because the cycling is bad for them!
So the halogens are all thats available for high beams. I am sure the LEDs will be great when they are bright enough for really long range. I know the halogens get hot, that is why you really need metal and glass units to handle the heat with 16 gauge wire and relays for power. So you say that HIDS will handle the frequent off and on use in the high beam position?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: H7 high beam watts

I have them for years, the low beams are cycled every nite you drive. They are gas discharge lamps and the power supplies are the issue if your get low cost units. It is the heat dissipation that causes the LED units to require OEM designs and not allow them for retrofit kits. That is the real way to go.

My Hids are SOOOOO much better than the incandescent lamps that I put them in my RAM truck now I can see. The ram head light is a single lamp that magnetically shifts position for high beam and never has to switch on and off. Wish that could be used in the C but the lense is not set up for it. The RAM has but two lamps and the stock lamps were terrible.

Enjoy Woody

Old 10-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by rush549
How safe are you when someone mashes into you because you blinded them?
If that isn't a concern, courtesy should be.
In my opinion, if you think you need more light, you are driving to fast to begin with.

Plus 1, people don't know how to drive let alone know how to turn off high beams BEFORE they splatter my eyes with two red dots. Goes along with the morons who change the geometry of the car by jacking up the front and not readjusting low beams (or any beams).

Originally Posted by DHS
Yes commen courtesy is required when on the road and a good driver is aware of on coming traffic. So the difference is really are you a driver or just someone who is clueless on the road. My commute is in the early mourning in rural central Georgia, I see a dead deer at least twice a week and have sent four Bambi's to Deer Heaven. I would guess that each one cost about $1200 in damage not to mention the time in the body shop.
So since 1973 when a bolted on a set of Cibie's 195's with 100watt bulbs on my Capri I have had powerful head lights on every car I have owned. I believe excellent lighting is a safety factor and decrease the chance of an accident. Sticking to light standards that were established in the 1940's is not a good idea. I have never been stopped because of my lights, and try to be extremely conscious of my lights anytime I am driving at night. Three of the deer I hit I was not going over fifty when they ran into the road. Twice I feel the extra light gave me an extra few seconds to get on the brakes, still I hit them but at a cheaper speed!
And if you are one of those A-Holes who like to drive around with your brights on, 400 watts of light will get your attention real fast.

Funny how ppl who are jacking the candlepower of their forward looking at night 'view' always seem to have some reasoning to be righteous (not). Attitudes like yours are why road rage incidents occur especially evidenced by your last sentence. Throwing 400 watts into some ppl's faces just might get you a head-on wreck. Seems your prepared for that outcome as well? The light assembly you 'rig' will be part of the lawsuit (if your victim survives). If you cannot control your speed vs animals then you should slow down. You also casually ignore laws that limit the wattage of bulbs installed AND the many fake incandescent bulbs with promised high wattage outputs. Chew on those facts a little, or not. I suspect you'll choose the 'not' avenue.

Sometimes, age isn't a gauge of how mature you are.