Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Regluing the glass on a convertible top

Old 04-28-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regluing the glass on a convertible top

I am hoping to get some advice and try and figure out where I am going wrong. We have two roadsters that I have reglued the glass repeatedly. It seems like each repair is lasting less time. I am wondering what else to try. I am using the primer and the 3M adhesive. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Eric

Old 04-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: Regluing the glass on a convertible top

Are you removing as much of the old adhesive as possible and are you keeping the two pieces tightly together while they bond? I used windshield suction cups and an old broom handle to hold mine in place, overnight. That was three years ago.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Are you removing as much of the old adhesive as possible and are you keeping the two pieces tightly together while they bond? I used windshield suction cups and an old broom handle to hold mine in place, overnight. That was three years ago.
I am removing as much of the old adhesive. I guess I need to try the windshield suction cups. Isn't there a video showing those being used to hold the glass firm?

Old 04-30-2018, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

I have re-glued mine four times. This last time, I did my best to clean the fabric and glass with alcohol and a sharp knife. I also used "too much" glue and "too much" primer - and it appears to be holding just fine.

I used bundled up towels in garbage bags on the inside and clamps on the outside to hold the surfaces together - leaving the car like this for 48 hours.....

Old 04-30-2018, 06:09 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

This is how I did mine. I took my time cleaning everything up since it was to save a bunch of money for a new top. I bought the suction cups at Harbor Freight for about $12.00. I put masking tape on the glass beyond where the glue would be to ease cleanup.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by purplegoldtiger86

I am removing as much of the old adhesive. I guess I need to try the windshield suction cups. Isn't there a video showing those being used to hold the glass firm?
Since no question is a dumb question when trouble shooting something.. The canvas that folds over around the opening IS still sealed together right?

Old 05-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Since no question is a dumb question when trouble shooting something.. The canvas that folds over around the opening IS still sealed together right?
This is an important step that some people are missing. I did mine twice before I realized the fold in the canvas was pulling apart. I cleaned the fold good and glued it back with "Rhino Glue", and then glued the glass to the top with the 3M. It has been over a year now and is still holding good.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ewaynec
This is an important step that some people are missing. I did mine twice before I realized the fold in the canvas was pulling apart. I cleaned the fold good and glued it back with "Rhino Glue", and then glued the glass to the top with the 3M. It has been over a year now and is still holding good.
I just decided if 3M can glue canvas to glass.. it can glue canvas to canvas.. finger wiped a layer in the fold and then ran my bead on the glass and let it all set and cure out.. coming up on 3 years of holding.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:56 AM

I checked and the fold is definitely loose in sections. I will have to do that part as well.