General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

E Cigarettes

Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Cigarettes

Hello,

I'm a smoker, I smoke maybe 5-10 cigarettes a day. I realize it's unhealthy and do want to quit. I have been told about E Cigarettes by a couple of people as an alternative to the real thing, and they were really singing praises.

I've done a little research and there are a number of "reputable" manufacturers that produce these things and I was wondering if anyone has experience with these devices or has heard anything about them - good or bad.

As always any advice or perspective is greatly appreciated.

Regards

AR

Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Received 903 Likes on 704 Posts
Default Re: E Cigarettes

Don't know anything about them... but I do know two people who have quit.

Both just quit. For one person, they 'quit' twice before finally making it.

The other person, my mother, quit one day just like that. It was after a very disturbing doctor appointment - he got thru to her in a very cold manner, but it worked. Oddly enough, Mom told my sister that "I am NOT going to let this bother me, if I can't handle not smoking, I'm gonna go back and smoke again." She kept cigarettes in the glove box of her car for about a month until she finally determined that she had, indeed, quit.

She never smoked again - she was in her early 50's at that time.

I think quitting "cold" works best, but it helps when the doctor tells you to your face what you are headed for. I don't believe that smoking shortens your life (at least, not very much) - but what it DOES do is take your quality of life away in the later years of your time here on earth. I really saw that with my parents.

Getting back to mom: The power of one's own mind is amazing. Mom's mind overcame the TERRIBLE addiction of cigarettes, and she did it by NOT being so awfully determined. You know, they say you have to be strong, confident, etc. Mom wasn't. She just said she'd try it, but if not smoking drove her nuts, she'd just smoke again.

But, like I said, she never, ever smoked again. Well over 20 years and she never smoked again.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pizza - I had a friend in the Navy who quit in a similar manner. We were on watch together late one night. He had just put out a cigarette and lit up another one. After taking his first drag, he looked at the cigarette and said "Jeez. I just put one out. WTF am I doing?" - he snuffed that cigarette and never smoked again. Pretty unusual.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 15+ years. I got a major bronchial infection and decided that was enough. I quit that day one and a half years ago, and have not looked back. It was the best decidion I have ever made. No more morning bouts of coughing, no more car stinking and no more getting bronchitis 4-5 times a year.
If you want to quit, just do it.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

A guy at work quit when it killed him.

He lasted about 2.5 months after the Doc told him he was sick. He still came to work 'cept now with a oxygen tank. Smoked to the end.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rfors777
I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 15+ years. I got a major bronchial infection and decided that was enough. I quit that day one and a half years ago, and have not looked back. It was the best decidion I have ever made. No more morning bouts of coughing, no more car stinking and no more getting bronchitis 4-5 times a year.
If you want to quit, just do it.
As Stevie Nicks (of Fleetwood Mac Fame) said in an interview, I only got off cocaine when I wanted to get off it... I woke up one morning and looked in the mirror and said, '"I want my life back". She went on to say that this was the only way out of addiction - it has to come from inside.

And they say, nicotine is as addictive as cocaine.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
And they say, nicotine is as addictive as cocaine.
I've done both. Never got addicted to coke. Quit when I was done. Nicotine is far worse, in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I quit I drank a 20 oz. bottle of water everytim I wanted to smoke, wasn't that long later all I was worried about was the bathroom. In the last year and a half I've smoked half of one and then a quarter of another both times I got really sick.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 586 Likes on 489 Posts

If you never ever want to smoke, don't get cremated.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If you never ever want to smoke, don't get cremated.

Did anyone ever tell you that you are about as much help ...

as I am.