General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Car won't pass inspection

Old 09-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car won't pass inspection

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
As long at you put on the miles I mentioned and and have started the car a few time since the light was turned off you will pass inspection. just get to an inspection place asap after doing the drive cycle. These really are good cars and don't have to be expensive to fix. Hopefully all this cost you was a fuse instead of a thousand dollars! Let us know how it goes.

I didn't like the tire cost either. One problem is that the stock tire sizes restrict you to just a few brands and the rear 19 inch tires are expensive. Going with 18" wheels all around opens up much better shopping opportunities. I would suggest the 224 40 18 (stock size) on the fron and 255 or 265 40 18 on the back. Tons of cost effective choices and you will have a better ride as well.
Ok, I'll take your advice about the drive cycle and then I'll get it to the inspection place right away. The car has already been stopped and started 3 times since I disconnected the battery - once when I drove to the inspection place, and once when the inspection guy started it, and once when I stopped at the Chrysler dealership - so that may cover it. When I get back in the car to drive it the 75 miles, that'll be the 4th time. I've actually already driven the car about 15 miles since I disconnected the battery. I hit the counter when I left the inspection place, so I can track it.

I agree that, overall, these cars are very well made. My problem is that being someone who has no knowledge of cars, and having a car that baffles most people, it is very frustrating to deal with. Even just getting the headlight changed - I had to leave one shop and go to another; and neither of them fixed it. At the third place I went to, they fixed it based on what someone told me here. That's just nuts. I'm sure it's not this much of a problem with guys who have more knowledge. I'm just in over my head with this car, and I'm short on patience when it comes to getting problems resolved. I have spent days on this particular problem. Maybe if I find a Mercedes mechanic that I can trust, this kind of thing will stop putting me in a tailspin whenever something goes wrong.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Ok, so I decided to drive the car around as much as I could during lunchtime. I went out to my car, turned the engine on and, yes you guess it, the check engine light is back on. After work, I'm taking it to a guy who's authorized to work on Mercedes. We'll see if he can unravel the mystery. At least I didn't have to drive around for 75 miles to find out that the light was going to come right back on. See! There is always that silver lining. haha.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 PM

YIPEEEEE!!!! SUCCESS!!!!! It was a busted vacuum hose. I found the most excellent place that works on Mercedez. They were packed with cars but I was there for less than an hour and because of discounts from their website, I paid only $60 for the whole thing. I feel so much better having found these people. They couldn't do the inspection, though, because the codes have to go through the re-set cycle again. He said 100 miles. I'm certain that it'll pass inspection next time, though. This is such a load off my mind.

Thanks again to all of you for your invaluable help. I'm so happeeeeee!!!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
YIPEEEEE!!!! SUCCESS!!!!! It was a busted vacuum hose. I found the most excellent place that works on Mercedez. They were packed with cars but I was there for less than an hour and because of discounts from their website, I paid only $60 for the whole thing. I feel so much better having found these people. They couldn't do the inspection, though, because the codes have to go through the re-set cycle again. He said 100 miles. I'm certain that it'll pass inspection next time, though. This is such a load off my mind.

Thanks again to all of you for your invaluable help. I'm so happeeeeee!!!!!
Where was the break? You owe us that info.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Where was the break? You owe us that info.
haha! That's funny. You know, I didn't ask where it was - under the hood probably. I don't think he told me, but the code on the receipt shows EMI500 - does that tell you anything? I saw that the guy working on it pulled that big thing off from the top of the engine but I really have no idea where the hose was. Seriously, if you really want to know, I'd be more than happy to call them tomorrow and find out.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am glad it worked out and that you didn't have to spend much. The dealer would have gone for the thousand. I hope you learned to never go to the dealer! Sounds like you found a good shop. I am sure the independant MB guy was very comfortable with your car once he popped the hood in case he hasn't worked on a Crossfire before. these cars are very durable and well made. I wouldn't be too quick to sell it now that you have a good mechanic and your support group on here

Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Oh, well, I spoke too soon. The light is brightly shining once more. Here I go again. I won't bug you guys about this anymore - I'll just let you know when it passes inspection. I mean...if that ever actually happens in my lifetime. Good God.

Lantana: Even when I pay the car off, I will still sell it because I want a bigger vehicle. If I could afford to keep the xfire as a toy or a secondary car, that would be fine. But as an only car, I'm not into it anymore. There are too many things I need space for. It's just not practical for me. As far as the mechanics are concerned, I still have confidence in them but they need to get this problem fixed once and for all. I think the trick is one of the things you mentioned earlier - starting the car 3 times after the light goes off. That's what happened again today - the mechanic started it after he fixed it, then he drove it around, then left it out front for me. I started it and went home. Then I went out to go buy my son a birthday gift, got back in the car and the light was back on. 3 times. I'm too tired to even be pissed off about it at this point. I'm just really disappointed.

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 09-24-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Just an update on my car situation. I took my car back to the Mercedes mechanics. They said they'd do a smoke test to see if air was coming out anywhere else. They didn't find anything. The problem they found was the relay. They said that it wasn't transmitting info. They replaced it for $408 total, and even though the smoke test was supposed to cost $120, they didn't charge me for it. Now, I'm hoping no one here and tells me I was ripped off. I don't think that I was, and I actually think they were more than fair. I'm glad I found this place. So far, the CEL has not come back on.

So far, this 'check engine' light issue has cost a little over $500. I suppose that's not too bad except that I wish this had not been tied to the inspection (which still has yet to be done because I have to drive 100 miles first). Not to mention the enormous amount of time this has cost me. Fortunately, my son came into the town this weekend so I didn't have to spend 6 hrs at the mechanics yesterday. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys and update. I forgot to ask the Mercedes place which vacuum hose was replaced but I'll call them and ask.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Just an update on my car situation. I took my car back to the Mercedes mechanics. They said they'd do a smoke test to see if air was coming out anywhere else. They didn't find anything. The problem they found was the relay. They said that it wasn't transmitting info. They replaced it for $408 total, and even though the smoke test was supposed to cost $120, they didn't charge me for it. Now, I'm hoping no one here and tells me I was ripped off. I don't think that I was, and I actually think they were more than fair. I'm glad I found this place. So far, the CEL has not come back on.

So far, this 'check engine' light issue has cost a little over $500. I suppose that's not too bad except that I wish this had not been tied to the inspection (which still has yet to be done because I have to drive 100 miles first). Not to mention the enormous amount of time this has cost me. Fortunately, my son came into the town this weekend so I didn't have to spend 6 hrs at the mechanics yesterday. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys and update. I forgot to ask the Mercedes place which vacuum hose was replaced but I'll call them and ask.
This may sound just a bit devilish, but you would be amazed what a small spot of black electrical tape will do for your bloody CEL ... at least until you pass inspection.

Cheers.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hambletonian
This may sound just a bit devilish, but you would be amazed what a small spot of black electrical tape will do for your bloody CEL ... at least until you pass inspection.

Cheers.
Black tape over the light doesn't work in Texas. They hook up to the OBDII port and read the faults. That is why even if the light is not on it takes a drive cycle to still clear in the engine ECU.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:02 PM

Ok. So, after driving my car 100 miles, I took it to be inspected yesterday. It failed again because the tinting on the windshield went below the AS1 line. Why this was never an issue before is beyond me. After doing a search on the internet about how to remove tinting, I went out and bought a $20 hand-held steamer, removed all of the tinting from the windshield and then took the car back to the inspection place. It finally passed. What a fiasco.

I think I'll use the steamer to remove the tinting on the hatch window because it's so dark that it's actually a hazard. Btw, I called the auto place about which vacuum hose was replaced but I haven't heard back from them. I'll call them again.

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 10-02-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Ok. So, after driving my car 100 miles, I took it to be inspected yesterday. It failed again because the tinting on the windshield went below the AS1 line. Why this was never an issue before is beyond me. After doing a search on the internet about how to remove tinting, I went out and bought a $20 hand-held steamer, removed all of the tinting from the windshield and then took the car back to the inspection place. It finally passed. What a fiasco.

I think I'll use the steamer to remove the tinting on the hatch window because it's so dark that it's actually a hazard. Btw, I called the auto place about which vacuum hose was replaced but I haven't heard back from them. I'll call them again.

Checking the window tint is another first I've heard for an inspection in Texas. All tint installers should know what's legal unless Texas has changed the legal standards this year. Now I'm worried if my wife's Xfire will pass. It has the same tint when we bought it. They're in for the fight of their lives if we have to remove it.

Glad you were finally able to pass.

Last edited by InfernoRedXfire; 10-02-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:48 PM

WOW! But you hung in there and got her done! Congrat.'s...........Now you just have to keep her after all that.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire

Checking the window tint is another first I've heard for an inspection in Texas. All tint installers should know what's legal unless Texas has changed the legal standards this year. Now I'm worried if my wife's Xfire will pass. It has the same tint when we bought it. They're in for the fight of their lives if we have to remove it.

Glad you were finally able to pass.
The tinting on my car was there when I bought it, too, and it's pretty dark. I'm actually surprised it's legal because I can barely see out my back window. Now that I know I can remove it, I will. There are enough blindspots in that car without adding more. But even though the tinting on my car is pretty dark, it didn't fail because of that; it failed because the strip across the top of the windshield extended past the AS1 line. After I removed the tinting, I didn't even notice that it was gone.

Yea, I'm glad it finally passed inspection too. That problem dragged on for way too long. All for a car that was running fine.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
WOW! But you hung in there and got her done! Congrat.'s...........Now you just have to keep her after all that.
Good one!

Well, if you must know, my car isn't a 'her', it's a 'him'. I named him Jerry - after Jerry McGuire because he 'had me at hello'. haha!

I'm now thinking of naming him 'Adios'....

Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 PM

SpeedDemon

I'm like Dinasrt....Keep the car after all you've been through w/ it...you've got history!!! Fun car to drive!!! Mine is '05 blaze Red Limited convertible. My CEL came on yesterday, but went off today...that's why I'm reading this forum. I only hope that I don't go thru as much as you have if it DOES come back on. By the way, this is a VERY helpful forum these owners have going & VERY informative...thanks to everyone!!!

Capt Tom
'05 Lmtd Convertible
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 AM

I agree, Capt Tom, I would be lost without this website. It has helped me numerous times and has saved me a lot of money. Yes, I agree the car is a blast to drive and, true to my username, I am somewhat of a speed demon. The car just encourages that, you know? lol

As someone else mentioned here, the engines on these cars are actually very solid and sound. It just makes me really nervous when something goes wrong. I wish I could keep the car as a second car because I know I'm going to miss it if I get rid of it when it's paid off. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. It was funny tonight, as I was walking to my car in a parking lot, a guy whistled at me and said out the window of his car, 'I like your hair and I like your car.' Good one. I think he really just liked the car. haha.

I hope your engine light isn't a serious problem. One thing is, I'm much happier knowing I have someone qualified to work on my car other than the rip-off artists at the dealership. Let us know how things work out for you.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Ms. SpeedDemon

My CEL came on Friday AFTER I filled up w/ gas. After reading thru the Forum about other owner's problems, I went out yesterday afternoon & removed my gas cap, then replaced it firmly. Then I pulled the cover from the under-hood fuse panel. I removed each fuse & inspected each, then solidly replaced each. I took my girlfriend out to a South American restaurant that eve & the light went off on our way back to her place. I don't know if or which of the things that I did solved my problem, but THE CEL IS OFF!!! I DO feel a lot better!! This Forum truely is a gift, as I am a retired Viet Nam Vet & do not have the resources(finances) to have a car that might be a money pit. I can understand that this might be your reasoning for wanting a different car. Find yourself a guy that is interested in cars (& your hair), wine him & dine him & keep a good friendship so as to be able to feel free to get him to help you w/ a little maintenance sessions on the weekends. By the way, did you get your car inspected? Good luck & enjoy the fun that our little car provides. I drove over into the Arkansas hills south of Fayeteville recently to enjoy the fall colors. I put the top down & thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:26 AM

Your trip sounds like it was great fun. Yes, my car did finally pass inspection - $600+ later - for a car that was running just fine. I think the State of Texas is partially to blame on this one. haha. I hope your CEL stays out! Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the return note. I'm glad to see that you are not facing any more Texas-size tickets...you don't have to worry about that problem for another year now. Enjoy!!!

Quick Reply: Car won't pass inspection