General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Car won't pass inspection

Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't pass inspection

Ugh...my 2004 Crossfire needs to be inspected but it won't pass because of 2 problems: one is that the 'check engine' light is on, and the other is that one of the headlights is out.

When I went to have the bulb replaced, the guy told me that it's not the lightbulb, there's something wrong with the wiring. It will cost $110 just to diagnose the headlight problem. It may cost around $200 - $700 to fix the engine light issue. A guy offered to get rid of the light but I'm guessing that's not totally legal and I didn't get the impression his guys knew what they were doing with the car, so I'm not sure I trust him. He's not the one who told me about the headlight, btw.

Is this kind of thing standard with these cars? Does anyone have any suggestions about any of these things? I've already gotten a ticket for my sticker being expired. I need to get this taken care of. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Car won't pass inspection

First, do you know what code is being thrown for the check engine light? If not, go to your nearest AutoZone and have them hook up their ODBII code reader to your car. This is a free service that AutoZone provides. Post the code on here, and we can let you know what is causing the check engine light and what it would cost to fix it. Also, I would be highly suspicious of the guy that told you that you have a wiring problem with the headlight. What did he do to deduce this?

There are several knowledgeable members that live in your area. Maybe one of them can help you diagnose the headlight issue.

Last edited by bmorgan; 09-19-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
First, do you know what code is being thrown for the check engine light? If not, go to your nearest AutoZone and have them hook up their ODBII code reader to your car. This is a free service that AutoZone provides. Post the code on here, and we can let you know what is causing the check engine light and what it would cost to fix it. Also, I would be highly suspicious of the guy that told you that you have a wiring problem with the headlight. What did he do to deduce this?

There are several knowledgeable members that live in your area. Maybe one of them can help you diagnose the headlight issue.
Ok, I'll get over to an AutoZone and get that done. I'll let you know what they say. The guy that checked the headlight said that the bulb is working so he said that it must be a wiring problem. I would love it if a member in my area could help. That would be great!

Old 09-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 480 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by bmorgan
First, do you know what code is being thrown for the check engine light? If not, go to your nearest AutoZone and have them hook up their ODBII code reader to your car. This is a free service that AutoZone provides. Post the code on here, and we can let you know what is causing the check engine light and what it would cost to fix it.
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Old 09-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
Ugh...my 2004 Crossfire needs to be inspected but it won't pass because of 2 problems: one is that the 'check engine' light is on, and the other is that one of the headlights is out.

When I went to have the bulb replaced, the guy told me that it's not the lightbulb, there's something wrong with the wiring. It will cost $110 just to diagnose the headlight problem. It may cost around $200 - $700 to fix the engine light issue. A guy offered to get rid of the light but I'm guessing that's not totally legal and I didn't get the impression his guys knew what they were doing with the car, so I'm not sure I trust him. He's not the one who told me about the headlight, btw.

Is this kind of thing standard with these cars? Does anyone have any suggestions about any of these things? I've already gotten a ticket for my sticker being expired. I need to get this taken care of. Thanks for your help.
Have you checked the fuses, there is one fuse for each headlight. So check the four fuses, they are on the drivers side end of dash. remove the panel cover and check them. If it is a blown fuse you may have to figure out what caused the blown fuse or you may be lucky and a new fuse will not blow.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Have you checked the fuses, there is one fuse for each headlight. So check the four fuses, they are on the drivers side end of dash. remove the panel cover and check them. If it is a blown fuse you may have to figure out what caused the blown fuse or you may be lucky and a new fuse will not blow.
No, I didn't check the fuse. I don't know anything about cars - I'll definitely check them. I hope that's the problem. Thank you!

I took my car over to AutoZone but for some reason the 'check engine' light was out and they said they couldn't check it unless it was on. I'll take it back when it comes on. If it doesn't come back on, I'll get it inspected once I get the light fixed.

Thanks, everyone.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
No, I didn't check the fuse. I don't know anything about cars - I'll definitely check them. I hope that's the problem. Thank you!

I took my car over to AutoZone but for some reason the 'check engine' light was out and they said they couldn't check it unless it was on. I'll take it back when it comes on. If it doesn't come back on, I'll get it inspected once I get the light fixed.

Thanks, everyone.
The light does not have to be on. Once a code is set it remains in memory.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never heard of inspections in Texas not passing because the check engine light is on. Did they check your emissions? How did that measure?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:56 PM

That's what the person at AutoZone told me - I'll look into what you're saying. Thank you.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
I've never heard of inspections in Texas not passing because the check engine light is on. Did they check your emissions? How did that measure?
I know. That light has been on for 3 yrs and it has passed inspection each time. I think this is a law that was passed in Jan of this year. I didn't believe the first guy that told me that, but when the second one said it, I can only assume it's true. Also when the policeman stopped me for having an expired sticker, he said, 'I see why your car didn't pass inspection - your check engine light is on.' I didn't say anything at the time but I thought he was mistaken. I guess not.

Oh, and I was told that once they do a diagnostic on it, that info gets uploaded into a State database and they can track it from then on - two people told me that. So far it hasn't been uploaded. This is just a little bit too much 'big brother' stuff if you ask me.

Last edited by SpeedDemon; 09-19-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly.... It remains in memory until the code is cleared. You may want to try another AutoZone or get another person at that location to pull the code(s) for you.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM

I don't know what I'd do without this site. You guys are so extremely helpful. I drove over to Firestone today since the 'check engine' light was out - thinking I could get it inspected if they could fix the headlight that was out.

So I told the guy there what someone said that possibly a fuse was out. He said that with only one light out, it couldn't be the fuse. I was about to accept that but I knew that you guys would've told me that so I asked 'are you sure?' Plus, I know that most normal rules don't apply when it comes to the Crossfire. He said that in 30 yrs of dealing with cars, he's never seen separate fuses for each light. But he looked at the car's manual and said that the car did indeed have a separate fuse for each light. He had a guy go out and look at it and after he played with the fuses for a second, the light came on! He said that he pulled out the extra fuse and used that one, and the light worked; then he put the other fuse back in and it still worked. I can only guess that the fuse was loose, even though he said it was in very well. Anyway, you guys just saved me $110 to have that little problem checked.

My luck ran out, however, with the 'check engine' light because it decided to come back on. It was getting late by then so I didn't have time to go to AutoZone. I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all your helpful comments.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If an error condition is intermittent the CEL may not always come on, but it would leave a pending error code in memory. If you drive the car enough to complete what is called a "drive cycle" which requires multiple driving conditions, and no error is registered, it will clear the prior error code. Autozone can clear the error codes after reading them, but if your state allows the on board ODBII emissions check (rather than tailpipe) it would not pass inspection without the drive cycle being completed.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds a little like what may car be doing for last year or two check eng light come on. read the code it p2096 2098 the car dose not run any diff then before . reset it run for a week or two thin come back on.one of this days i will fork up 100.00 and have dealer tell what is . Oh by the the way this codes are not on the list that valk posted

Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This is what I found. It could be an Oxygen sensor. Since it goes out from time to time I wonder if bad gas could cause the code? Run what's in the tank lout and fill up with premium (name brand, just in case) to see if the gas makes a difference.

Les

P2098=Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P2096 Post Catalytic Fuel Trim Bank 1 System Too Lean

Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
This is what I found. It could be an Oxygen sensor. Since it goes out from time to time I wonder if bad gas could cause the code? Run what's in the tank lout and fill up with premium (name brand, just in case) to see if the gas makes a difference.

Les

P2098=Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean (Bank 2)
P2096 Post Catalytic Fuel Trim Bank 1 System Too Lean
While it's possible the gas may be causing the issue, it's unlikely to be the culprit, especially if this has been going on for 3 years. Gasoline quality is tightly controlled now and unless there is a repetative bad actor, and you are filling up at that station all the time, I wouldn't expect the fuel to be the issue.

Seems more likely to be the oxygen sensor or the fuel management control system.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:01 AM

Ok, so based on all the comments, and that it's probably the oxygen sensor or something like that, I'm assuming that I still need to get it checked at AutoZone, correct?

Just some history, I bought this car used about 3 yrs ago. Within about 3 mos of having it, the check engine light came on and, really, it has been on steady up until recently, when it's been going out. You'd think the bulb itself would've gone out by now - haha. Maybe that light runs on something charged by the battery, though, and it never burns out. Anyway, I don't know why it's been going off and on - that's a new thing. And it has always passed inspections up unitl now where apparently this new law has been passed.

Next action - read the code and go to AutoZone?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the codes, Luke.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would help to reset the computer? It won't hurt to try.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
I wonder if disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would help to reset the computer? It won't hurt to try.
You're the 3rd person who has suggested this. One person said to "disconnect the "neg" post to my battery for one minute then reattach it, unscrew gas cap, start car...then put gas cap back on."

I think I'm at the point of giving this a try. I've been at jury duty all day so I've had no time to deal with this today.

Quick Reply: Car won't pass inspection