General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

WAAAAY Off Topic - I have a Computer Question

Old 04-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WAAAAY Off Topic - I have a Computer Question

:shock: I know there are so many of you out there that are really into computers, so I figured I would post a question for help.

I have a HP computer and a HP Flat (skinny) screen. I have Windows XP. When I turn my computer off, the screen does not go off like the one at work does. It turns colors - flashes from red, blue, green, yellow. I have to turn the screen off each time. Is there a setting that I missed somewhere?? It's not a big deal, but if it can be changed easily, I would like to change it.

:roll:

Old 04-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

It is a setting on the monitor itself. You will have to look at the manual for it and see if it has a setting not to do that. Basically it is reporting the signal has been lost. You prob want to disable that feature.

Good luck =)

Old 04-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Forum Regular

Agreed - there should be a power down setting in the monitor setup screen that puts the monitor into a "sleep" mode if there is no signal being sent from the computer.

The display you are getting now is basically telling you that the monitor knows there is no video signal being sent from the video card, but there is still power to the monitor.

If there is no setting for that on the monitor, then the only way to power down is to turn off the monitor.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 04-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the model of the HP flat screen?

Old 04-27-2004, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns
Model is hp pavilion 170. I don't have a user guide. I don't see where the buttons on the monitor are helping me. ops:

Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire
Originally Posted by David Burns
Model is hp pavilion 170.
That's the monitor itself? On the back of the flat screen itself, the model #.

Old 04-27-2004, 09:02 PM

Well - nothing on the back - but looking at it more carefully on the front - I think it says hp pavilion f70. Does that sound more familiar???

Old 04-27-2004, 10:15 PM

Well - nothing on the back - but looking at it more carefully on the front - I think it says hp pavilion f70. Does that sound more familiar???
Yes, an f70 is an HP flat screen.

The manual can be found at:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph07459.pdf

Try doing a "Mode Recall" per the manual (too hard to explain without pictures).

Old 04-28-2004, 10:55 AM

ops: ops: Well thanks to you guys for your help - but I'm still in the same boat. When I looked in the manual on line, I didn't see the issue addressed.

Edited: jsisabella just pointed me to a page in the manual that shows there is no menu function to auto power down or go into sleep mode because the backlight always stays on. Thanks -- guess I missed that page - :?

If you are interested in my long drawn out story - this is what I went through last night!!! Seems as though they didn't read the manual!

At 6:52PM I decided to get HP Instant Help. They had me uninstall device managers - get into safe mode - turn the computer on and off - nothing would work. Finally at 10:05PM - yes 3 hours and 10 minutes of us Instant Messaging back and forth, I gave up. I felt they were not ever going to be able to help. I can't believe that they would even IM back and forth for so long with so many "fixes" - and they still wanted to try a lot of other things. I just couldn't do it. So, I guess I will just have to continue to turn my screen off. It's not such a big deal, but I thought it would be nice if it worked the way I know others work.

Thanks again for your help. I love having friends to help me :lol:

Old 04-28-2004, 05:01 PM

HP Instant Help.
AMAZING. They spent all that time and had you do all those things (safe mode, drivers, blah blah blah) for a problem you reported to them that only occurs when the computer is turned off, right? Did I miss something, that WAS your problem, that when the computer was off the monitor didn't power down? Or were you having other problems when the computer was turned on?

If your monitor does not shut itself down (or at least go into sleep mode), sounds like false advertising on HP's part, since they claim this monitor is "EPA Energy Star" compliant.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Forum Regular

Dave:

No, you understood the problem correctly, as far as Vegas has told it. It is just that the H/P customer support in India did not get it!

I also think it is false advertising on H/P's part, since page 32 of the manual states that the backlight never goes out, and if you are not going to be using the monitor for any length of time, to turn it off with the power switch.

Does not sound like Energy Star compliant to me either.....

Maybe there is a "Manual Energy Star" mode!!!

:lol:

Sorry Vegas!!!!!

Old 04-28-2004, 06:02 PM

:shock: I know - what a fiasco.... for nothing :shock: