General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Jason! JASON! I HAVE DONUT HOLES!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts
Default Jason! JASON! I HAVE DONUT HOLES!

Well, this was a weekend to end all weekends. This was the run of "Camp Rock" a Disney play based on "Camp Rock 2 - the Final Jam" the movie.

I was in a cast of 30-some kids, age 20 down to 8. Only myself (age 50) and two ladies in their 30's were the only "over 21's" in the cast. We had to take 20 years off me and put 20 years on a 19 year old guy to make it look like we had been in a rock band ("The Wet Crows") together. Our makeup people did such a good job, we were told by one lady that he looked too old to be in a band with me!

I did not think a kid's musical would be any fun for me, but I like being on stage. Well, as it turns out, this was a total blast - I played my character as a comical character and the director loved it, as did the audience. (The director and I had talked about this in the weeks before.)

The kids, of course, were funny at times as well. But primarily, their jobs were to look good and sing well - and DAMN if they did not accomplish both goals.

Sunday was our last show. It is a tradition that, on the last day, we go a bit off script, we play tricks on one another, etc. But the area arts council was in the audience so the director asked the kids to tone it down. Little was done off-script.

Except for me.

I wrote my own scene, with only myself in it, that lasted about 15 seconds. My goal was to have fun but NOT steal from any of the kid's scenes. I think I pulled it off. The entire cast and crew knew what I was going to do except for the director. Most of the kids were watchign from the sides or at least LISTENING from nearby.

When I went out there, I acted confused and lost... and said my lines:

Kids? KIDS! Where did you go? Jason? JASON! I'VE GOT DONUT HOLES!

And ran off the stage....

I took quite a risk, the joke could have fallen flat, but it did not. I got the biggest roar I have ever heard in a playhouse. One lady came running out of the audience of 220 to the restroom. I guess she had to clean herself up.

The director loved it - I am still on the board of directors.

I could tell you the setup of the joke, but it would take about 3000 words and still would not be funny. You had to be there. But the fact is, I had a wonderful weekend with my Camelot Family.

I would also like to say that working with the teens and kids was SO rewarding. There really are a lot of great kids out there - and we had over 30 of them on stage!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Received 517 Likes on 356 Posts
Default Re: Jason! JASON! I HAVE DONUT HOLES!

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, this was a weekend to end all weekends. This was the run of "Camp Rock" a Disney play based on "Camp Rock 2 - the Final Jam" the movie.

I was in a cast of 30-some kids, age 20 down to 8. Only myself (age 50) and two ladies in their 30's were the only "over 21's" in the cast. We had to take 20 years off me and put 20 years on a 19 year old guy to make it look like we had been in a rock band ("The Wet Crows") together. Our makeup people did such a good job, we were told by one lady that he looked too old to be in a band with me!

I did not think a kid's musical would be any fun for me, but I like being on stage. Well, as it turns out, this was a total blast - I played my character as a comical character and the director loved it, as did the audience. (The director and I had talked about this in the weeks before.)

The kids, of course, were funny at times as well. But primarily, their jobs were to look good and sing well - and DAMN if they did not accomplish both goals.

Sunday was our last show. It is a tradition that, on the last day, we go a bit off script, we play tricks on one another, etc. But the area arts council was in the audience so the director asked the kids to tone it down. Little was done off-script.

Except for me.

I wrote my own scene, with only myself in it, that lasted about 15 seconds. My goal was to have fun but NOT steal from any of the kid's scenes. I think I pulled it off. The entire cast and crew knew what I was going to do except for the director. Most of the kids were watchign from the sides or at least LISTENING from nearby.

When I went out there, I acted confused and lost... and said my lines:

Kids? KIDS! Where did you go? Jason? JASON! I'VE GOT DONUT HOLES!

And ran off the stage....

I took quite a risk, the joke could have fallen flat, but it did not. I got the biggest roar I have ever heard in a playhouse. One lady came running out of the audience of 220 to the restroom. I guess she had to clean herself up.

The director loved it - I am still on the board of directors.

I could tell you the setup of the joke, but it would take about 3000 words and still would not be funny. You had to be there. But the fact is, I had a wonderful weekend with my Camelot Family.

I would also like to say that working with the teens and kids was SO rewarding. There really are a lot of great kids out there - and we had over 30 of them on stage!
Community Theater can be so much fun. Crumpy and I used to do it and enjoyed the experience thoroughly

Congrats on a successful performance. And thanks for the post.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Jason! JASON! I HAVE DONUT HOLES!

Mark you can explain the joke to me when I see you next weekend. I've read many of your posts about the play and it appears you've had the time of your life with these youngsters.