General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Is a self charging electric car possible?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is a self charging electric car possible?

Originally Posted by killerkanadian
This race car has more horse power than a stock Crossfire! I didn't understand a word of the video.
The video is in tagalog you must read this blog : GT 111 self charging electric Car (Philippine made)

Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spudracer
Check out the proposals for the Bay of Fundy (Canada). Engineers have been kicking around proposals for the massive tidal flows there for decades. So far, not much has been built. But the energy potential is massive.
The most popular Tidal Generator seems to be underwater windmill type structures.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

OK here is what was done and the results:
the two independent FWD and RWD systems,
both front and rear drive systems were charged 100% , drove about 15 min = to 2hours with larger batt. then switched to rear drive system, it was charging the front system, after 12 min = to 1.5 hours the front system would only charge to about 80% ,,stayed at 80% to 15 min = to 2hours of driving, still only at 80%charged, switched back to the front system. now after almost 15 min= to 2hours of driving again the charging of the rear system was only charged to about 50%, after equal to 400 miles the two systems were at 20 to 25% charged,,, sorry it didn't work as a 100% electric car, but with a small 5 hp gas engine to run a maybe 20 watt generator to top off what the charging system would not complete this could be a 200 mpg hybird.
now you know what i know. LOL. jim
note we did run the rc car for just over an hour, was told that is = to 6 hours of operation . I am getting there.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Yo, pizzaguy. Can't take it much longer.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moore986100
In late nineties Filipino inventor invented a car running by only pure water H20, the invention bought by big oil company. after several years its gone. now Philippine inventor invented a self charging electric sports car Gitano 111 self charging car - YouTube i hope it will success and go to mass production.
Folklore, it should be on Mythbusters.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane
Yo, pizzaguy. Can't take it much longer.
I know. I feel it too.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rush549
Folklore, it should be on Mythbusters.
As should the "self charging electric car".

Jim: Those are the exact results we keep telling you that you'd get. There is no magic in electricity, the energy has to come from somewhere. If you use a battery to run a motor, and DIRECTLY use that very motor to ONLY run a generator to charge a second battery - and then keep switching the batteries - in time BOTH BATTERIES WILL BE DEPLETED.

Subtract from the equation the energy required to move a car, and the batteries will be discharged even faster - the energy to move the car has to come from somewhere.

Your gas engine would provide about 4,000 watts of energy. BUT IT IS STILL ONLY 5 horsepower. It does not magically become more because it's converted into electricity - it actually becomes LESS dues to the losses and inefficiencies mentioned.

AGAIN...
The energy required to charge a battery is GREATER than the energy you can get back out of it.
ALSO, the motor and generator both have losses - all of these inefficiencies add up to mean that "self charging" simply is not possible.

Is physics really this hard to understand?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
As should the "self charging electric car".

Jim: Those are the exact results we keep telling you that you'd get. There is no magic in electricity, the energy has to come from somewhere. If you use a battery to run a motor, and DIRECTLY use that very motor to ONLY run a generator to charge a second battery - and then keep switching the batteries - in time BOTH BATTERIES WILL BE DEPLETED.

Subtract from the equation the energy required to move a car, and the batteries will be discharged even faster - the energy to move the car has to come from somewhere.

Your gas engine would provide about 4,000 watts of energy. BUT IT IS STILL ONLY 5 horsepower. It does not magically become more because it's converted into electricity - it actually becomes LESS dues to the losses and inefficiencies mentioned.

AGAIN...
The energy required to charge a battery is GREATER than the energy you can get back out of it.
ALSO, the motor and generator both have losses - all of these inefficiencies add up to mean that "self charging" simply is not possible.

Is physics really this hard to understand?
I meant that both should be on Mythbusters. It will go the same as the treadmill airplane takeoff... Predictably.

Now for my idea. I'll say ahead that my idea has nothing to do with perpetual motion, and everything to do with super efficiency, and portability. To top it off, I thought of this idea when I was in middle school.

My idea is to run a car on electricity. It can be both charged at your house or with the small jet turbine on board for portability. Why a jet turbine? Simple. It has one moving part. It is very efficient when run at it's sweet spot. Let's say that's 30,000 RPM for the sake of argument. Jet turbines are notorious for their effeciency when run at it's peak. It would only come on when the batteries get down to a quarter of it's remaining energy. It would run till the batteries are topped off then spool back down. The upside of a jet turbine is that it could be run on any number or fuels. My favorite being hydrogen. The electric motor has one moving part as well, and no transmission. Again, so simple it's elegant. Why won't something like this get get built? because the people who build cars rely on the profits that their service departments bring them. As well as the hoards of serviceable items this car would no longer need. Like everything else, we are left buying buggy whips.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Not a bad concept, Rush.

Just one thing......

Old 01-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Banned

I have read about a Gator Utility Vehicle. It is self charging.It has a solar roof so it charges while it operates. So I guess, it can also possible for other cars. Manufacturers should consider doing the same instead of wasting lands for solar parks just like the 33-acre Volkswagen Chattanooga Solar Park in Tennessee.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by stephensilva
I have read about a Gator Utility Vehicle. It is self charging.It has a solar roof so it charges while it operates. So I guess, it can also possible for other cars. Manufacturers should consider doing the same instead of wasting lands for solar parks just like the 33-acre Volkswagen Chattanooga Solar Park in Tennessee.
Solar panels on a roof? If the roof is a few square meters, then you are looking at a maximum charge rate of 200-300 watts. You are not going to move much with that. If you refuse to do the math, you will never understand the physics involved.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 402 Likes on 345 Posts

Hmmm, given this post, I guess babies should be born fully grown and with a college degree ready to work. Really??? Inventions and practical uses of them cost ungodly amounts of money to produce into a consumable for everyone. I guess if you are extremely rich you could build one and just tool along BUT then all the freeloaders out there would just steal it from him because he should give to the poor everything he owns. Not to get lost in the diatribe, it takes a whole lot of trial/error to produce something reliable that can withstand the vibrations of the automotive world. Solar panels are still mostly extremely fragile, a crack would render a cell inoperative. According to how it's wired could make the whole panel junk. NASA uses solar panels on many devices going only a crawl on land. There isn't too many bumps in space. The gator doesn't jar as hard as a car going down the road at 75mph, hitting a pothole or such. Vibrations are a huge solar panel longevity problem. Newer technologies are making them more flexible and less sensitive to vibration damage, but it comes at a huge cost. Lest we forget, the panel would only generate power during daylight hours so it would be a huge added cost for a vehicle to have it included in its design. Not to mention (but I will) if a car has a large portion of its body (is there enough area available) as a solar collector, how much insurance/premium would be included especially when someone 'bumps' or otherwise damages the panels? There are many good and bad applications for solar right now, unfortunately cars aren't one of them beyond consumer experimentation subsidized by the gov or as an investment by business (in anticipation) of a big windfall. It will come, but for now I would not drop a penny into anything I drive that does not use gasoline, for the roads.

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 01-26-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 564 Likes on 474 Posts

My guess is you would need the Chattanooga Solar Park on the roof of your car to do anything worthwhile power wise, but the sad part is it would not be enough power to move the 33 acres of solar panels and the really solidly built vehicle that could support the weight of the solar panels.

Can you imagine the traffic jams with just one of these vehicles on the road.

I need a Gator UV when I go golfing as my ball often ends up where golf carts cannot go, swamps etc. Maybe I would save a few strokes using one.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-26-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Is a self charging electric car possible?

THe problem of electric car is that they consume energy as they move forward, this is irrefutable fact of science.

I have wondered why no one has conceded to this and simply driven them backward, thus producing surplus energy.

Wdy

Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 402 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
THe problem of electric car is that they consume energy as they move forward, this is irrefutable fact of science.

I have wondered why no one has conceded to this and simply driven them backward, thus producing surplus energy.

Wdy

OMG thats IT! Then it would even be 'BACK-WARDS COMPATIBLE'!

Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by waldig

Wdy

HEY MODS:

Replace my previous post with this one!