General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

can't go, got vibration

Old 06-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default can't go, got vibration

Last week we (wife and I) were suppose to Melbourne Fl to visit my granddaughter and NEW grandson. My wife took her car and three hours later she was there, I have a cold so stayed behind until i get over this thing. i9t has been a week now.
well anyway the cold is almost gone, so i took my car out, got a vibration under full power around 80 & up. so Miamimatt and I changed the driveshaft and center bearing, still have the vibration not as bad and closer to 100 now, tomorrow i will change the flex disk,dummy me did not change them because a month ago i put a new one on the rear, so just to be sure I'll change the rear one. if that does not do it I will drop the diff (3.46) ,put in a different one. I will join the wife in Melbourne this week and stay for the next month or so. Then we are going up to Blairsville Ga which is a little over an hour from the dragon. If all goes well, see you there with another V8 crossfire bring your check book because being it is the last V8 Rudy will build, it is for sale. jim
PS ?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: can't go, got vibration

Hope you ha e fun at your granddaughters and the dragon.
Did you loose a wheel weight?
throw a different set on and test?

one thing I like about a manual.
feel on steering wheel, it is the front end.
feel on parking brake, rear end.
feel on shifter, driveline.

assuming cables are tight for parking brake, when in tension can transfer some vibration.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Hope you ha e fun at your granddaughters and the dragon.
Did you loose a wheel weight?
throw a different set on and test?

one thing I like about a manual.
feel on steering wheel, it is the front end.
feel on parking brake, rear end.
feel on shifter, driveline.

assuming cables are tight for parking brake, when in tension can transfer some vibration.
My engine is tied down so i feel every little pebble on the road.. This vib was bad on hard acceleration, so there are just a few things it could be, bent yoke, universal joint, drive shaft, center bearing, differential, of flex disk,, well i changed drive shaft, center bearing , but two weeks ago when i changed the diff in an hour ,i had put a new rear flex-disk in after all that i still had the vibration, i was thinking it was the diff.. so this morning i pulled out the rear flex disk and put back the old one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,VIBRATION GONE ,,,,,,,,,,, car is back to normal
the new flex disk is too soft, I can almost twist it into a "S" well anyway i now am all set from the tranny to the rear wheels

PS I was almost ready to call you for a one piese drive shaft,,, .all because of a flex-disk
I have one more spare drive shaft if that goes expect a call. no lol

Old 06-25-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397

PS I was almost ready to call you for a one piese drive shaft,,, .all because of a flex-disk
I have one more spare drive shaft if that goes expect a call. no lol
drive safe "ish"

I am glad I finally got ride of the carrier bearing and flex discs.

I have another pair of plates faced with pilots already in them.
for your car, I would use different flange yokes for 1350 joints instead of the 1310's.
wait need to check, have a set with both pilots.
think I might have a pair faced and with just the .6320 pilot, idk, will have to check this weekend when I get home.

do you or you have a buddy that has a lathe, and knows how to use it?

Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 PM

no lathe, I use to have my own 8" there is a machine shop that did work for me on the 3.46 send me some pictures amx1397@gmail.com

Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

There are good vibrations.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
no lathe, I use to have my own 8" there is a machine shop that did work for me on the 3.46 send me some pictures amx1397@gmail.com
they are like in the pics on my single piece driveshaft thread.

2 of the ones I have extra that have both pilots in probably would not work for you, they are for the 1310 joints, which is still larger than the oem center joint, but with the forced induction v8 I would do a 1350.
and the plates would need cut down to accept a female pilot flange instead of the male pilot, for the larger flange and u joint.
none have the bolt holes in them yet for flange or prop. Which is not difficult.
my 1st run, I did it cheap and just got a 4" aluminum driveshaft with slip from a you pull salvage yard, 01-04 isuzu rodeo I believe it was.
​​​​​​
if you go aftermarket you can get a 3" or 3.5" and not have to cut out the center carrier bearing mounting bracket, but for the 1st round testing I went with a $28 driveshaft instead of ordering a $700 + driveshaft (which is still cheaper than a oem)
when I was posting in my thread making my plates I would have made some extras if others wanted them very cheap.
But didn't seem like there was much interest.

I am surprised that that small oem u joint has held up for you, it looks like a 1210 joint with smaller caps

Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM

well now they haven't held up for me,, I wanted a spare shaft so bought one ,installed it , and with less than 50 miles blew the u joint.
the good news is , last week i ran a 10.36 AND
you were right once the drive shaft gets over 50000 miles it is shot
the one piece is the way to go.
jim