Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

swapped diff in less than one hour

Old 05-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts
Default swapped diff in less than one hour

My car is the fastest, now i have swapped out the rear end ( differential ) in less than ONE HOUR, making this the the fastest diff change. from the time i drove into the bay ,put my car on the lift, there were three of us,
Once up on the lift , one guy removed the exhaust, my exhaust is 3" and comes apart in three pieces,we did not remove the muffler or tail pipes, the center bearing on drive shaft, and the two plates one front the other rear 1/2 of the driveshaft driveshaft. I removed the right rear tire ,unbolted the axle, and removed part of the suspension,the three control arms from the right rear , but not from the car side the three control arms from the wheel hub, pulled the hub over until i could push the axle out of the hub, in the mean time guy three was removing the diff ,the flex joint and rear 1/2 of drive shaft, now the right side of the car (suspension) still bolted up tight we pried loose the left axle part way , now we dropped the diff ,at the same time pulled the axle out of the diff( remember the left axle is still bolted into the hub,and no suspension on the left side is removed). the spring and shock and sway bar are still bolted in. we all three dropped the diff , almost like one motion put the 3.46 with wavetrac, back up in place of the ole 3.07 the left axle went right in, so did the right axle, as one guy put the oil in ,i started putting back the control arms, guy #3 went to the drive shaft put that in along with new flex joints, center bearing and brackets. with everything reinstalled, We torqued everything.
I replaced my tcu, connected the batt cable fired up the car drove out of the shop in a total of 56 minutes we had the rear swapped out , wish i had pictures but that would have needed another guy,, and i forgot to do it.

hope my two finger typing is understandable jim

Old 05-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: swapped diff in less than one hour

Anybody up for a trip to Pa. to do mine?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I just replaced the right half shaft on my '02 Concorde by myself, can't be much harder than that.
I'll be sore for 4 or five days now, and still have the left side one to do

Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 PM

give me a call I can walk you through it

Old 05-16-2018, 08:46 PM
DHS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will your speedo be correct?

Old 05-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not bad..got a good pit crew..plus you've done this a few times now haven't you? Would only take me 8 hrs or so , probably the or so, time..lol .

Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DHS
Will your speedo be correct?
yes because you have to have the T C M ,,transmission control module reflashed for the ratio you are useing , but a std shift crossfire does not use a tcm so I don't know if the speedo would be correct or not ,, jim

Old 05-17-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Not bad..got a good pit crew..plus you've done this a few times now haven't you? Would only take me 8 hrs or so , probably the or so, time..lol .
your right, i think this is about the 6 or 7 time i have done this and each time i find a shorter/ better way to do it. jim

Old 05-17-2018, 01:35 PM

My problem is that I don't have much use of my left hand and arm. It takes me much time to figure out how I can do it, then about 4 times as long as normal to actually do it.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:48 PM

My problem is that I don't have much use of my left hand and arm. It takes me much time to figure out how I can do it, then about 4 times as long as normal to actually do it.
just let me know if i can help,, and if i am near i'll stop by and maybe between the two of us + one more guy we can replace yours. but i think you found the problem and it may not be the diff. hope you got it.. jim

Old 06-04-2018, 02:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim you are the man took two of us 4 hours lol and still waiting on my tcu first reflash didnt work

Old 06-16-2018, 12:09 AM

where would I find the differential with 3:46 gears. what are they out of ? I have a srt6.

Thanks
Dennis

Old 06-16-2018, 10:05 AM

Hi Dennis there is only one place to get the 3.46 and that is from Rudy and I we have to build it here is the link to us. if you search 3.46 there are a few post on the 3.46's we have built for members. thanks jim
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight=3.46+diff

Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 PM
DHS

So did you have to pull the spring on the right side with the arms detached? Is the drive shafts on the diff bolted to it? I have a diff coming from Quaife to put in my NA coupe. It should be here the first of next week in a diff I sent them. So can this be done over a weekend by one person? The car will be on a lift and I can get help lowering the diff and putting the new one own.
I can handle the exhaust and have changed the drive shaft center bearing last year.
Dan

Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by DHS
So did you have to pull the spring on the right side with the arms detached? Is the drive shafts on the diff bolted to it? I have a diff coming from Quaife to put in my NA coupe. It should be here the first of next week in a diff I sent them. So can this be done over a weekend by one person? The car will be on a lift and I can get help lowering the diff and putting the new one own.
I can handle the exhaust and have changed the drive shaft center bearing last year.
Dan
remove,, ( take loose one side let the arms just stau there out of your way all the arms & shock ,sway bar link , remove nut on axle pull down and forward on brake rotor ,, remove spring, this is on the pass side (leave the a-arm connected on both ends.
put diff on tranny jack , slowly pry out the drivers side axle as you move the diff to the left and down then the drivers axle will come out, ( this is after the exhaust and the back half driveshaft is out of the car,, there are two notches on the drive shaft that line up with one notch on the long shaft,,,, for alignment /balance, then put it back the same way.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:58 PM

Well, it looks as if I will be changing out the diff. I have disconnected everything I need to remove the diff, now I need to drain it. The hard part, at least for me is lowering it out of there. I only have jacks, 2 for the car and one smaller to lower the diff on. I May ask my machinist friend to make a small cradle that I can bolt to the jack. This is a first for me, so I had to determine just what I needed to undo, the service manual says remove knuckle but I don't think that is necessary. I'll let you know how I make out, it's really slow going for me.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:22 PM
DHS

Got the rear exhaust off, and the three arms loose, guibo’s undone, will the rear half of the drive shaft pull out? Is that what happens when you lower the diff?

Old 09-01-2018, 07:12 PM
DHS

OK it is done, while we were trying to pull the hub off the axle came out of the diff, then we prayed the driveshaft forward and got it off. Then lowered the diff and put in the Quaife diff. Got all the arms hooked up and put the exhaust on and drove it around the airport, no weird noises and she worked fine. Spent the rest of today putting the rear bumper cover back on. Made the mistake of fooling with the right rear upper plastic interior cover to see if I could get it to stay up better. Pulled a little to hard and pulled it off! Most of the push tabs are broken so that is what I will be fixing the next few days.
hope to be on the road Tuesday to see how the diff does.