General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Post Something Random (No politics)

Old 12-26-2022, 01:55 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 501 Likes on 345 Posts
Default re: Post Something Random (No politics)

Mark, You need a warm day to take "Animal" out for a ride on our planet....LOL

Old 12-26-2022, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Valk
Mark, You need a warm day to take "Animal" out for a ride on our planet....LOL
Im working today so I can take Wednesday or Thursday off. It's gonna be near or over 70F those two days.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:04 AM
Forum Regular
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

All languages travel at the speed of sound, sign language travels at the speed of light

The following 3 users liked this post by JoeO:
Franc Rauscher (12-28-2022), GraphiteGhost (12-27-2022), pizzaguy (12-27-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 10:39 AM
Administrator

There are many online resources that speak of Arlington, Texas' "Screaming Bridge", but the link below is to the only one that gets it right. Photos in the article show an old bridge on a closed road said by many to be "Screaming Bridge", but in reality, what is depicted is a concrete bridge that was closed some 20-25 years after the deaths of the teen girls.

Screaming Bridge Arlington Texas - Texas Ghost Stories

"Trying to hear the screams "

The legend is bound up in actual events of 1961 and possibly blended with another multi-vehicle wreck in the mid to late 1970’s that resulted in multiple casualties. As the scene of the original screaming bridge changed, then became inaccessible, the story attached itself to another nearby bridge.

Photo looking east at the concrete bridge, see white arrow in Google image below.

Numerous websites and paranormal investigators have chronicled the search for spirits at the site and continue to offer tours of cemeteries and nearby landmarks. Every new generation of local youth are exposed to the legend and many seek to hear “the screams of the girls” for themselves.

On the night of February 4th, 1961 a car filled with six Arlington teenage girls plunged off a burned out wooden bridge where then Arlington-Bedford Road (renamed Greenbelt Rd) approached the railroad tracks in far North Arlington. The tracks themselves run parallel to a drainage ditch (mistakenly reported to be a creek in various newspaper articles of that time) which the bridge spanned.

The Arlington High School coeds were out joyriding after leaving a movie that evening. As the girls’ car approached the crossing at approximately 45 mph, the incline of Arlington-Bedford Rd. and darkness prevented them from seeing the bridge was out. At 9:30 pm their vehicle left the road and impacted the other side of the ravine (which sloped up to the old Rock Island Railroad track) landing upside down.

Instantly killed were Mary Lou Goldner, 16, and Claudie Jean Reeves, 17. By 2am Sunday morning Kathy Fleming arrived dead on arrival at Baylor Hospital bring the total deaths to three. Injured were Donna Post, Dorothy Ibsen, and Jo Ann Anderson with multiple fractures (arms, jaws) and concussions. Jo Ann Anderson remained in critical condition after undergoing emergency brain surgery that Sunday morning.

Newspaper articles of February 6th (headlined “Death Bridge Involved in Probe”) reveal that another youth, Bill Young, had slowed for a train crossing the road just beyond the bridge over the ditch and noticed the bridge was out, stopping just three feet shy of the ravine. He had narrowly missed plunging off the road himself and tried to warn the girls’ vehicle by honking his horn while he was backing up. It is thought his warning may have frightened the driver (into speeding up to pass his vehicle, contributing to their speed when they left the road. It was this witness who notified authorities of the accident.

Six ambulances rushed the victims to Arlington Memorial Hospital where they received emergency care before being transferred to Baylor Hospital in Dallas. Since none of the girls were carrying id, police and medical workers only learned their identities when Dorothy Ibsen regained consciousness long enough to give her parents names and name of the other girls in the car.

My map of the sites. Yellow arrow points to the site of the bridge the girls died on, over a drainage ditch just below (south) of the railroad tracks. White arrow points to the concrete bridge that most mistakenly believe was the site of the crash, even tho that bridge is concrete and there are no railroad tracks nearby.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:19 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Many say that "If mankind is the only intelligent life in the universe, then the universe is a terrible waste of space". But the universe is a terrible waste of space, anyway. Consider:

If the solar system was scaled down to a point that earth was the size of a marble, the sun would be 4 1/2 feet in diameter. That puts the earth in orbit 579 feet from the sun. (This is explained in the video I linked to below).

So, I did some math on my own and came up with the following:
The sun is 1 "astronomical unit" away. Our nearest star, Proxima Centuri is 4.25 light years away, which equates to 268,770 AUs.
That means that in the scale of the solar system where the sun is 4 1/2 feet in diameter and the earth is a marble - our nearest star is 268,770 times 579 feet away. SO..............

The sun would be 579 feet away.
PRoxima Centauri would 29,473 miles away.

Again, the universe is an EMPTY place. But it is an inconceivably huge place as well.

https://kera.pbslearningmedia.org/re...-0S750mw0Ymdxw
It’s a good job the universe is infinitely large or we would screw it all up in no time flat.
There must be other forms of life out there, let’s hope they do not decide to visit us anytime soon. If they are smarter than us they will not waste the gas.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:20 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd been told our BLE Beacons send out
Bluetooth?

Old 12-28-2022, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Bluetooth?
Yea, BLE is Bluetooth Low Energy, BLE was introduced some 12 years ago. It started out as a simpler, lower cost, lower power version of BT but today it's just lower power and lower cost, it is not simple anymore.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:19 AM

BLE was introduced some 12 years ago.
Is there a governing body or Engineering group for operational standards anymore? I understand at one time there was but they disbanded. They kept protocols and such common and compatible for all devices. Say I had a stereo headphone I wanted to build, I would have to follow the standard so all stereo headphones can work with devices. At some point after the disbanding of the standards body manufactures went rogue and started creating and modifying protocols so theirs would/could be "fancier" than the competition. Now we get stuck with devices that may or may not be 100% functional across the board. Or we end up with my brand new stereo headphones only playing mono because some mgr's devices did follow the stereo protocol.

You discover any of that in your research?

Old 12-29-2022, 10:11 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Post Something Random (No politics)

Oh, many a shaft at random sent
Finds mark the archer little meant!
And many a word at random spoken
May soothe, or wound, a spirit that's broken!
Specifically to those who are down in heart
Troubled from the mystery no start
Sir Walter Scott, Lord of the Isles

(with apologies to Walter for the last two lines)

The following users liked this post:
pizzaguy (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Is there a governing body or Engineering group for operational standards anymore? I understand at one time there was but they disbanded. They kept protocols and such common and compatible for all devices. Say I had a stereo headphone I wanted to build, I would have to follow the standard so all stereo headphones can work with devices. At some point after the disbanding of the standards body manufactures went rogue and started creating and modifying protocols so theirs would/could be "fancier" than the competition. Now we get stuck with devices that may or may not be 100% functional across the board. Or we end up with my brand new stereo headphones only playing mono because some mgr's devices did follow the stereo protocol.

You discover any of that in your research?
Bluetooth is in the unlicensed ISM band, so there is no governing body involved, other than if you produce a product that emits outside the band or at too high a field strength (where the FCC will nail you), there is no 'authority'.

The Bluetooth Special Interest Group does settle on what the industry agrees to - but you can't stop any manufacturer from doing what they want to do.
https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/

Old 12-31-2022, 09:48 AM

but you can't stop any manufacturer from doing what they want to do.
Yup, and sometimes things are working just fine and poof, an update get's pushed and you can't connect to your car stereo or the whatever anymore. Seen that a few times in a different car group.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:36 AM
Administrator

It's an old Dodge I found while out getting the bike gas. This car is 100% factory 'cept for afterrmarket LED turn signals and an ammeter.

M60A3Driver (06-26-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 10:56 AM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

I wonder if the color is original ? Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I wonder if the color is original ? Thanks for sharing.
I should have asked but it didn't occur to me.
Im wondering the same thing

If you do a google of "1930s Dodge car" a lot of photos are of blue cars that look just like this.
So, I guess maybe it was blue from the factory.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 01-17-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 133 Likes on 105 Posts

When your transportation got sick & died... The Great Horse Flu of 1872

exparamedic (01-24-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 04:01 PM
Forum Regular

First person to identify this photo & it’s location wins a much sought after prize

Old 01-30-2023, 04:49 PM
Received 514 Likes on 355 Posts

First guess;;;
Statue of Liberty , Paris France

Old 01-30-2023, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I think Franc wins this one!

Old 01-30-2023, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

Franc is first in….AND correct ! the photo was taken in Paris just weeks before completion.

Lady Liberty was modeled on the Roman goddess Libertas, (some thought Gina Lola Bridgitia……) also known as Liberty Lighting The World, or Liberty Enlightening The World. Interesting fact : Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel, who became famous for the most popular Paris icon of all……..designed the interior iron framework of the Statue, which included two spiral staircases.

I’m looking for your gift as I type.

M60A3Driver (06-26-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Thin ice sheet with a thin sheet of snow on top. DFW airport and metro area: CLOSED.
I aint going no where today.

Quick Reply: Post Something Random (No politics)