General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Post Something Random (No politics)

Old 03-23-2024, 01:29 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Post Something Random (No politics)

I worked at a Ford dealership in Tempe AZ for 22 years. In the late 70s or early 80s one of the Wienermobiles came in for front end work (I don’t remember what Ford chassis it was built on) but it was quite the hit. The dealership was on a large property and I think damn near everyone who worked in service took it for a spin around the lot.

The following 2 users liked this post by JSK:
M60A3Driver (03-23-2024), WD40 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 12:23 AM
Received 399 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
And an EV is powered 60% by coal/oil/gas and 18.6% by Nuclear, the rest 21% is "renewable". EVs are not "electric" and they are not "emissions free". If we'd gone 100% nuclear for electricity by now, they WOULD be emissions free.... but that didn't happen, did it?

And, they take a whole lot of power (not renewable) to produce all the components that go into them. Plus don't forget those batteries are not environmentally friendly after they are beyond their lifespan (recyclable, yes, but very expensive but still some of it cannot be recycled), plus the fact they are VERY VERY expensive to replace. If JQ public ever took the time to see how much carbon 'credits' are written off to even produce them, they would never purchase one (yes, meaning most of the ones who tout the 'green' agenda).

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 02:31 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 501 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by JSK
I worked at a Ford dealership in Tempe AZ for 22 years. In the late 70s or early 80s one of the Wienermobiles came in for front end work (I don’t remember what Ford chassis it was built on) but it was quite the hit. The dealership was on a large property and I think damn near everyone who worked in service took it for a spin around the lot.
6 Wienermobiles operate throughout the United States
My wife currently has worked for Kraft Foods for 37 years (right out of college) and she was pictured in this one back in 2013
at University of Illinois when they were there on campus recruiting people to come work for Kraft Foods

The following 2 users liked this post by Valk:
M60A3Driver (03-25-2024), zip439 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 06:07 PM

A very unique place to eat in Chicago
Although I live out in the western suburbs I have been enjoying going to this place for many years and its the only one anywhere I know of.
Not a pot pie, not a deep-dish pizza, this dish is its own tasty entity.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts

It's amazing what the cars cost back then and what they're worth now!
Notice, they were even open on Sunday! Until 10pm no less!

GraphiteGhost (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 06:04 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
  • If you have a place to stay, eat healthy food and drink clean water, have a mobile phone, you can travel on the internet and you graduated from a college or university, you're in a small privileged group.(In the category of less than 7%)
  • OUT OF 100% OF THE WORLD'S PEOPLE, ONLY 8% CAN LIVE TO 65 YEARS OLD. If you are over 65 years old, be content and grateful. Seize life, seize the moment. You didn't leave this world before you turned 65, like 92% of people who have died because of health. Cherish every moment you have left!
I did not think those numbers were that small. I can believe the first one, but the second surprises me that it's so low.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:55 AM
Received 351 Likes on 310 Posts

Just remember those numbers are worldwide. In many countries, people do not have a long life.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:36 AM
Administrator

DAMN.

Francis Scott Key bridge taken down by huge ship.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tes-rcna145049

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/balti...video/60304085

Old 03-26-2024, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

Thank goodness that bridge collapse didn't happen at rush hour! It's doubtful, but hopefully they'll find more survivors.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:11 PM

The ships crew issued a MAYDAY warning that they had just lost all power and propulsion just before they struck the bridge support

Old 03-26-2024, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Valk
The ships crew issued a MAYDAY warning that they had just lost all power and propulsion just before they struck the bridge support

Sad, these things are not supposed to happen. I look for a nefarious influence with this for sure. Lets see how the black boxes reviews go?
T B D (why does t b d (no spaces) not show up in post?...

Last edited by Valk; 03-26-2024 at 10:30 PM. Reason: checking out TBD vs T B D - Not sure
Old 03-30-2024, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Lets see how the black boxes reviews go?

I watched a video by pilot (ships pilot) yesterday where he reviewed the NTSBs report on the BB content. He said the indications are that a total electrical power failure happened, the way the BB is powered, it' has battery backup and kept recording voice and noises on the bridge, but not data. HE said this makes sense, as the recorder and mics are on battery backup but the sensors all over the ship are powered directly with no battery backup.

He went on to explain that many ships run their standby generators when in or near port, tho there is no law to do so. This ship didn't and he also thinks the emergency generator(s) may be a maintenance issue. He said the company will try to blame the crew, but if the emergency generator(s) were not available, the liability will be on the company.

According to him: CLEARLY, the standby-emergency generator(s) were not working. I don't see how the company can't be held liable in such a case.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:25 PM
Received 195 Likes on 163 Posts

I watched a video by pilot (ships pilot) yesterday where he reviewed the NTSBs report on the BB content. He said the indications are that a total electrical power failure happened, the way the BB is powered, it' has battery backup and kept recording voice and noises on the bridge, but not data. HE said this makes sense, as the recorder and mics are on battery backup but the sensors all over the ship are powered directly with no battery backup.

He went on to explain that many ships run their standby generators when in or near port, tho there is no law to do so. This ship didn't and he also thinks the emergency generator(s) may be a maintenance issue. He said the company will try to blame the crew, but if the emergency generator(s) were not available, the liability will be on the company.

According to him: CLEARLY, the standby-emergency generator(s) were not working. I don't see how the company can't be held liable in such a case.
Standby generators are normal NOT run while in port or at sea unless there is a test or an emergency! While in port ship will run on shore side supplied elect power. The emergency generators did indeed come on after the initial power failure, but it took a minute or two to get them up, running and carrying a load. Ships crew also tries to start main propulsion, but that did not hold on; You can see that by exhaust. You can see emergency power come online in the way the running lights came on after the initial black out and then off again. Also look at the path of the ship when it's first lost not just electric power but propulsion, power steering gear stopped functioning and ship continued turn to starboard. When power came back on ( you can watch forward mast light and forecastle lighting to varify electric power source) steering gear was turned to port but not enough room left to complete turn to port and avoid bridge. Simple solution is to require tugs to assist big ship until passed the bridge.
The ships operator will be held accountable.
I spent 20 years in the merchant marine mostly on the bridge as a ships officer. So many innovations and technology now I never saw, but somethings never change.

Last edited by zip439; 03-30-2024 at 09:31 PM.
M60A3Driver (03-31-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 09:33 PM

I agree, seems the old saying about things like this, it isn't only one thing or another but a number of things that were not right, to finally catch up with itself. Things will trickle down through leaks and finger-pointing over the next few (possibly years) until something else takes over the news cycle (up until the NTSB and other regulatory divisions release their final reports).

One thing for sure, too many (NTSB media briefing on morning of day 2, and other speculators in the opinionated media) have already stated certain things were ruled out. Those who do the detailed investigations usually do not rule anything out until all the possibilities have been looked into in detail.

As is with any mega-millions lawsuit(s) (might even top a billion or two with the bridge), the deep pockets are always included. Everyone in or around the ship (owners, maintainers, operators) will be named as defendants, you can bet on it. Also, I would wager my 2 cents worth there will be criminal prosecutions down to the lowest swabby if they can make it stick. Best for the lowers who are charged, to get in line right away for a deal. My 2 cents worth.

The following 2 users liked this post by GraphiteGhost:
M60A3Driver (03-31-2024), pizzaguy (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 01:34 PM
Forum Regular

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!

GraphiteGhost (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 02:15 PM

Started life as a Crossfire, so many custom mods
He used an English wheel to make the matched front and rear flares.
He also made the two-part custom carbon fiber hood

Last edited by Valk; 03-31-2024 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Valk

Started life as a Crossfire, so many custom mods
He used an English wheel to make the matched front and rear flares.
He also made the two-part custom carbon fiber hood

https://youtu.be/yjcP96O4OLA?si=Y9PP7M_kwnATtTEL

Now THAT is quite unique...

Old 03-31-2024, 04:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a pitbull in Japan.
These are my beloved dogs.
All are rescue dogs

I'll give you one extra.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hatinana:
exparamedic (03-31-2024), M60A3Driver (04-01-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

Beautiful Pupsters !! I have been adopting from shelters for the past 25 years.
I also donate to three favorites throughout the year (quarterly) These animals
deserve a second chance at Life and the opportunity to be loved.

The following 2 users liked this post by copperfieldkid:
Hatinana (04-19-2024), M60A3Driver (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:20 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have two foster pups in the house right now. My favorite breed Mutt.

Quick Reply: Post Something Random (No politics)