General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Title Search

Old 10-11-2023, 10:06 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Title Search

Need to do a title search on my recently passed mother's truck. She had dubious financial practices and I want to make sure the title is clean before I buy the car from the estate. Any group think suggestions on title search companies?

Old 10-11-2023, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Received 886 Likes on 690 Posts
Default Re: Title Search

I know that, at least in Michigan, there was a way to contact the state and see if there is a lien holder. I simply can't remember how it was done, but my dad was buying a car (this was in like 1975) and he went to the Secretary of State's office in our hometown and they verified there was no lien holder.

But I've always gone by what the title itself said. I've not bought a used vehicle that had a lien on it, ever. The Graphite Roadster had a release stamp and signature on it -no matter, tho, cause we finalized the deal at the DMV office and I paid him while standing at the counter and walked out with a "transportation title" to drive back to Georgia on.

Buying from an estate would be, you'd think, pretty safe.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:46 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by xintersecty
Need to do a title search on my recently passed mother's truck. She had dubious financial practices and I want to make sure the title is clean before I buy the car from the estate. Any group think suggestions on title search companies?
xintersecty
Is there an attorney handling the distribution of the assets of the estate? If so, ask the attorney to provide you with legal proof of ownership that is free of any liens on the truck. If that is not the case, go to state department of motor vehicles local office, with a copy of the title and the will that that contains the assets, including the truck.
Regards,
Dennis
DTMenace

Old 10-12-2023, 08:25 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMenace
xintersecty
Is there an attorney handling the distribution of the assets of the estate?
Alas, it's my sister handling the estate. I was looking for any advice if anybody has used any of the many companies out in google-land advertising. Maybe I should have been more specific. She has the title, but in NC you must be the owner to get anything from DMV.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:24 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by xintersecty
Alas, it's my sister handling the estate. I was looking for any advice if anybody has used any of the many companies out in google-land advertising. Maybe I should have been more specific. She has the title, but in NC you must be the owner to get anything from DMV.
XINTERSECTY
Does a will exist from your mother? You need to obtain a copy of the will to determine who is listed as the beneficiaries, spelled out in detain.
If not, you have a real problem, in sorting out the assets/liabilities related to your mother's
estate. There is nothing automatic about the sorting of the remaining assets.
Instead of Google, contact an attorney in your local town to begin the discovery process....
Good Luck!
Dennis
DTMenace

The following users liked this post:
M60A3Driver (10-12-2023)