Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

KeylessGo on the Crossfire

Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: KeylessGo on the Crossfire

i would say when you take the key slot out of the door move it somewhere unseen like under the car. and that way if the doors lock up you just have to insert the key and it will unlock the doors. i think its a better idea than having a safety button

Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible to keep the key fob operational? i think the key sloy is mechanical so moving it is not possible.

Last edited by caddyman3; 09-10-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyman3
is it possible to keep the key fob operational? i think the key sloy is mechanical so moving it is not possible.
The key is mechanical so you are right, moving it is not an option. Anyone know if mercedes has a car that the key for the trunk is electronic and not physically connected to anything? That we could mount behind the license plate and rekey it to match the factory cylinder and problem solved. Other thing to do is find a really small waterproof button that can be drilled into the door handle, drill a channel in the side of the handle and then bondo and paint.

I love the participation from everyone as these are things that either I may have overlooked or didn't think were a concern from others but are. Thanks to everyone posting and keep up the good work.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM

I really like the looks of the keyless handle, but the "What If?" factor is why I suggested leaving as much of the original system as possible... yea, I am a computer guy, but I also kinda know where the others are coming from too, I am an ex aircraft mechanic, and have modded lots of bigger things than the xfire
Also... another thing about having the keyless handles... they DO say "I have money in this car, it is DEFINATELY not stock!!" which may make it more likely for someone to try the security...

Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 PM

I also am an aircraft mechanic...and using aircraft methods, i have devised a power failure backup plan. We can mount a crash axe under the car and enter through the window! ha ha, we can figure this out!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 AM

well if we have two aircraft mechanics onboard, think we could figure out a canopy ejection rig so if you lose your key or the system quits working, we could just blow the hatch off with a pull of a little yellow and black lever!?!?!? Thinking now the way to go is mount a microswitch in the handle on the back side so you'd never see it but I'm having trouble sourcing one small enough and waterproof so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm at a road block right now for keeping the factory mechanisms in place.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:06 AM

The most interesting part to me is the actual push button start. If i still had to use my keyless to unlock the vehicle it would not be too bad. I noticed my old infiniti g35 had no key holes (that i could see) for its push button unlock...so what was their solution? Why not make the drivers side the led lit button, and make the passenger side the key hole? if power fails you can go in the passenger side...its not as impressive to look at it on their side but its functional.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:38 AM

I've actually came up with the perfect solution! Remember those cheesy touch lamps where you touch them to turn them on and off? I'm not sure if how well it will work if at all when wet so that is the only thing I'm worried about but if I can get past that, slam dunk, we have a winner and we can keep everything factory functional as well minus the steering wheel lock.

As far as just doing the push button start after you put the key in the ignition, we can do that right now. All you need to do is get a KeylessGo shift ****, and if you have an auto, the leather boot from a manual to hide the wires. that part is pretty simple and doesn't even require disabling the steering wheel lock so those that want that, let me know and I can start looking for shift ***** if you don't want to provide your own. The one that works the best are any that come with a factory boot as the ones that are just like the factory crossfire auto where you see the chrome rod are different and you can't mount the leather boot to them and make it look nice.

Email me at rudy@jr-industries.net for more info.

Don't have any prices set in stone yet as there are way to many different things to work with on this but the most basic one I would say will cost about $100 plus the cost of the shift **** and leather boot as I have to modify the **** to work with the system and setup all the relays and so forth. This would also only emulate turning the key in teh ignition cylinder. No press 3 times and then press again. You'd turn the car on and then press adn hold the button until it started and then when you want to turn it off, you do it exactly like factory.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:48 AM

I have seen this done many times, to include the crossfire on youtube (cigarette lighter start button). If you still have to put the key in, turn to run, then press the button, its kind of pointless (to me). i dont want to use keys.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by caddyman3
I have seen this done many times, to include the crossfire on youtube (cigarette lighter start button). If you still have to put the key in, turn to run, then press the button, its kind of pointless (to me). i dont want to use keys.
Not using keys is the whole reason for me doing this but some members indicate they would rather just have the KeylessGo shifter and use the key as well or maybe I read into that wrong.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM

being the designer, what would you rather have? maybe do a few total keyless....

Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Well then lets start a list of people and what they want to see out of the system.

rcompart - the whole nine yards and can care less about losing the factory lock cylinder on the door.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcompart
Well then lets start a list of people and what they want to see out of the system.

rcompart - the whole nine yards and can care less about losing the factory lock cylinder on the door.
Jonnyangel04 -I want the car to unlock with I say shiver-me-timbers and lock when i say ram-a-lama ding dong

Old 09-11-2008, 12:23 PM

well, the switch... external... if you can mount a clear window on the inside of the handle, then you should be able to mount a LED/camera from a mouse that can be made waterproof to the extent of what you are doing... that would be a pretty reliable switch... just need a circuit to let whatever controller know the circuit is open or closed, (possibly by transistor?) as for the steering wheel locking. I have not seen the parts themselves, but the general method for that is a pin directed into the column... that as I have seen on other posts other people have found to be a problem, and have either shaved, or removed it... now when I said "Keep as much of the original system as possible" the locking pin would be in my opinion "Expendable" and the system should bypass when necessary the factory remote coding, but allow the factory key and remote to work... BTW... I set up a computer last night to use the bluetooth proximity detector as I mentioned earlier... and so far so good... I can tell it how far away I want to be able to get before it locks up, and how close I want to be in order for it to unlock etc... I also know there are kits etc for micro computers etc that could be used for controllers... the other option there though would be an old laptop with a damaged screen, that could be cannibalized for a controller... would just need to get an appropriate dc-dc convertor... if the computer is new enough to boot from USB, then the OS could be run from a key drive this would save a good bit of power, but the drive may need to be replaced once in a while, but taking that would disable the system (leaving for the weekend, leaving at a shop etc...

Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
Jonnyangel04 -I want the car to unlock with I say shiver-me-timbers and lock when i say ram-a-lama ding dong
Everyone will have to pardon my special-ed business partner! LOL

Lets try to be realistic with this. The more input we get about what type everyone wants, the sooner we can hash this together and get a product ready to sell.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Or maybe go go gadget...On a serious note, i could give a **** less about losing the lock cylinder...maybe moving to passenger side...the only time i wanna use a key is if the system fails. What is the cost of the shifter? if you can do this for shifter cost plus 200...i guarantee you will have tons of buyers.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by seannon
well, the switch... external... if you can mount a clear window on the inside of the handle, then you should be able to mount a LED/camera from a mouse that can be made waterproof to the extent of what you are doing... that would be a pretty reliable switch... just need a circuit to let whatever controller know the circuit is open or closed, (possibly by transistor?) as for the steering wheel locking. I have not seen the parts themselves, but the general method for that is a pin directed into the column... that as I have seen on other posts other people have found to be a problem, and have either shaved, or removed it... now when I said "Keep as much of the original system as possible" the locking pin would be in my opinion "Expendable" and the system should bypass when necessary the factory remote coding, but allow the factory key and remote to work... BTW... I set up a computer last night to use the bluetooth proximity detector as I mentioned earlier... and so far so good... I can tell it how far away I want to be able to get before it locks up, and how close I want to be in order for it to unlock etc... I also know there are kits etc for micro computers etc that could be used for controllers... the other option there though would be an old laptop with a damaged screen, that could be cannibalized for a controller... would just need to get an appropriate dc-dc convertor... if the computer is new enough to boot from USB, then the OS could be run from a key drive this would save a good bit of power, but the drive may need to be replaced once in a while, but taking that would disable the system (leaving for the weekend, leaving at a shop etc...
Problem with a real proximity switch that you'd use in this application is that our doors are metal and they don't like metal unless you get the ultrasonic ones which are too big and too expensive to put behind the door. The optical deal isn't' even an option as you're repainting the door to make it work since it won't fit in the handle. The bluetooth thing sounds cool and all but I'm telling you from first hand experience, they're not worth the frustration they will give you in the future. Try this on for size, your phone resets itself and loses it's memory or worse, you lose your phoen or someone steals it. All your bluetooth settings are gone. Not gonna get in the car. Another thing is needing a computer to run it. Not too huge of a deal but it needs to be taken into account. At that point, having a computer in your car opens up a whole new set of things you can do and that can go wrong. Not shooting you down and if you want to go that route, I'll be moer than welcome to help you with whatever parts of your system you need help with but I would stay away from it. We want to make this kit something you're going to use every day and not be a novelty that you wow your friends with a few times and then quit using because it's a pita. That means it needs reliablity taht is really high too. Like almost 100%. I only want to be using the key for if I forget my fob.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Problem with a real proximity switch that you'd use in this application is that our doors are metal and they don't like metal unless you get the ultrasonic ones which are too big and too expensive to put behind the door. The optical deal isn't' even an option as you're repainting the door to make it work since it won't fit in the handle. The bluetooth thing sounds cool and all but I'm telling you from first hand experience, they're not worth the frustration they will give you in the future. Try this on for size, your phone resets itself and loses it's memory or worse, you lose your phoen or someone steals it. All your bluetooth settings are gone. Not gonna get in the car. Another thing is needing a computer to run it. Not too huge of a deal but it needs to be taken into account. At that point, having a computer in your car opens up a whole new set of things you can do and that can go wrong. Not shooting you down and if you want to go that route, I'll be moer than welcome to help you with whatever parts of your system you need help with but I would stay away from it. We want to make this kit something you're going to use every day and not be a novelty that you wow your friends with a few times and then quit using because it's a pita. That means it needs reliablity taht is really high too. Like almost 100%. I only want to be using the key for if I forget my fob.

If it is okay, later, I may pm you and ask some questions on how the lock system works, interlock, how the fob enables the start sequence etc... but before I do that, I am going to be sitting down with the service manual. because I DEFINATELY do not want to accidentally disable my new baby!!!

Seannon

Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 AM

What are you assuming the cost will be for the originally planned total keyless system? (after we figure out a back up)

Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$10000000000

Quick Reply: KeylessGo on the Crossfire