Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Installed new Momo shift knob today

Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed new Momo shift **** today

Yes, mine has a slight raised part at the top of the chrome insert. Can't really see it so I will keep it.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was out on vacation to Wyoming and Colorado last week.... I went out to get something out of the car and found the ///AMG inset for my shift **** was laying on the seat.... I have had the shifter for over a year and it wasnt very hot out in Laramie last week.... it is JB welded on now...I dont think it will go anywhere in this lifetime..

Old 07-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
I was out on vacation to Wyoming and Colorado last week.... I went out to get something out of the car and found the ///AMG inset for my shift **** was laying on the seat.... I have had the shifter for over a year and it wasnt very hot out in Laramie last week.... it is JB welded on now...I dont think it will go anywhere in this lifetime..
I went inland a couple of weeks ago where it was 101+deg.'s and sure enough the AMG plate fell off. For better or worse, I used Blue high temp silicone form-a-gasket and let it cure a couple of days; seems to be holding fine.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
I went inland a couple of weeks ago where it was 101+deg.'s and sure enough the AMG plate fell off.
To my surprise today, mine popped off after sitting out in the 95d heat. Thanks for all the glue suggestions! I'm going to Home Depot for some JB Weld or Loctite.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
To my surprise today, mine popped off after sitting out in the 95d heat. Thanks for all the glue suggestions! I'm going to Home Depot for some JB Weld or Loctite.
I'm sorry but doesn't this make one think it's time to quit plastering our up scale cars with LOW CLASS crap? Am I calling Momo brand crap? Ya, when compared to the factory parts, it pretty much is junk.
This is a common event with all the Bling (crap) people are sticking all over thier cars.
The history of the Crossfire is following in the '70s Porsche 924 footsteps. They ended up selling so cheap the people that bought them could only afford the cheapest of accesories to "stick" on them. Try finding a complete stock one, that's worth storing, good luck.
Mike

Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Montana Crossfire
I'm sorry but doesn't this make one think it's time to quit plastering our up scale cars with LOW CLASS crap? Am I calling Momo brand crap? Ya, when compared to the factory parts, it pretty much is junk.
This is a common event with all the Bling (crap) people are sticking all over thier cars.
The history of the Crossfire is following in the '70s Porsche 924 footsteps. They ended up selling so cheap the people that bought them could only afford the cheapest of accesories to "stick" on them. Try finding a complete stock one, that's worth storing, good luck.
Mike
I could'nt agree more! Cheap bling is just so 80's

Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM

I believe that Inferno was referring to a shift **** from ForMyMercedes.com. I know I was. At $109 I don't consider it the 'cheapest of accessories'..... and I think it looks better than the factory shift ****.

It does seem to warrant a letter to them to change the adhesive they use to attach the metal section to the **** though..

Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Montana Crossfire,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and thanks for sharing it. Now here's mine.

First, the carbon fiber **** in question is not a Momo brand ****. That is just the title of the thread.

Second, I wouldn't call a custom-made carbon fiber **** that costs $120 "cheap". It's unfortunate that the inlay pops off in the heat, but a little epoxy fixes that problem permanently. The carbon fiber is of high quality.

Third, in my opinion it is the OEM automatic shifter **** that looks cheap and tacky, and by comparison this particular carbon-fiber **** look classy, and is the type of **** that Chrysler should have used in the first place.

Other than installing an aftermarket stereo to replace the OEM that has no inputs, this was my only "bling" mod. If that means I'm sticking "crap all over my car", sorry taht you feel that way. As for your comment about the economic status of people now buying used Crossfires, that comes across as slightly elitist.

Good day.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Mike
Does the word crap apply to your Momo steering wheel, carbon fiber console and HAI (it does not look like a CAI to me) etc?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Ouch! I recant...
Exploding gear shift ***** at any price seem CHEAP! Cheap doesn't always mean inexpensive.
The MOMO steering wheel on mine, YES! it was way too expensive for the quality it has.
Trust this, is 10 years when your $120 ***** worth 5-10 bucks in a scrap bin your stocker will be worth MUCH MORE!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
I believe that Inferno was referring to a shift **** from ForMyMercedes.com. I know I was. At $109 I don't consider it the 'cheapest of accessories'..... and I think it looks better than the factory shift ****.

It does seem to warrant a letter to them to change the adhesive they use to attach the metal section to the **** though..
Ditto! They just used a glue that doesn't hold up to heat very well. Just as Karmann did on many of the roadster's rear windows. It happens. Frankly, I don't care what the value of the **** is worth as long as I like it.

Besides, when I go to sell I'll put my OEM **** back on the Crossfire so I can reuse this one when I get the SLK 55.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Hey InfernoRed,
For the absolute best adhesive go with Clear 100% Silicone.
I guarantee it will NEVER fall off but for the rare possibility you may want to remove you may be able to pry it off. Plus it is much cleaner and easier to use. Just put a very thin layer on and your done.
Hope I didn't insult your purchase.
Mike

Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Hey InfernoRed,
For the absolute best adhesive go with Clear 100% Silicone.
I guarantee it will NEVER fall off but for the rare possibility you may want to remove you may be able to pry it off. Plus it is much cleaner and easier to use. Just put a very thin layer on and your done.
Hope I didn't insult your purchase.
Mike
Thanks for the suggestion Mike. No harm taken.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Yeah, JB weld works REALLY good but it can be messy.... and you will NEVER take the part back off without destroying everything...

I emailed ForMyMercedes.com today about the insets coming off and he said he was using heat before and was having problems and has now changed to something else..

You guys that just bought yours should email him too so he knows it is a problem with new ones still....... mine is about a year or more old.....

Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike
LOL, now that is funny. You sure have a lot of bling in your sig to to be making a statement about other peoples taste in accessories. I guess the value is in the amount of satisfaction it gives the owner. So, what do you think your DIY HAI is going to be worth down the raod? How much is it going to cost you to replace your console and dash trim when the glue from you "carbon fiber" stick on dash starts separating? Will your ///AMG dead pedal make you a fortune someday? Well, you get the point. I am not bashing your accessories, but you know what they say...... People that live in glass houses........

Aero Blue SRT "Coupe"
MOMO F1 Steering Wheel (a real Be-Otch to install)
Roll Bars --- 5 point harnesses
Lowered, using M.B. springs 1 5/8" & 1 7/8" Rear
Drilled & Slotted Disks
376 whp, She loves to Run
185mm L.E.T. Crank Pulley
JerryTuned ECU
19,000rpm bearings
Johnson Pump
L.E.T. Heat Exchanger
Custom Dual Air Intake
Magnacore 8.5mm Plug Wires
Carbon Fiber console & stack
AMG Dead Padal
HID Lighting, Brights
Custom parts Galore:cool

Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll have two boring, stock Crossfires in 20 years, crummy oem gearshift ***** and all. By the way, after investing $120 in these devices, how much hp did they add and how much faster is the vehicle?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
I'll have two boring, stock Crossfires in 20 years, crummy oem gearshift ***** and all. By the way, after investing $120 in these devices, how much hp did they add and how much faster is the vehicle?
My new carbon fiber, ///AMG stick **** has gained me 2.75 hp, but the looks and comments are why I really bought it. The stock **** is tucked away in a hermetically sealed envelope (thanks Ed McMahon) for that fateful day that we must part w/ our Crossfire and I'll replace it to it's rightful place. Oh, and that 2.75 hp gained me 1.4 m.p.h. to answer your other question.

Last edited by dinasrt; 11-09-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Didn't buy it for hp. Strictly the cool factor.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 AM

Hi guys

Received my shift **** from Jerry today. Nice carbon fiber! But unfortunately I couldn't get the bottom part to screw it in. Am I suppose to modify something to make it fit?

Cheers

Eddy

Old 02-24-2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by etmusic
Hi guys

Received my shift **** from Jerry today. Nice carbon fiber! But unfortunately I couldn't get the bottom part to screw it in. Am I suppose to modify something to make it fit?

Cheers

Eddy
I once bought a Carbon Fiber look shift ****, which turned out to NOT have a removeable screw off sleeve on the bottom. It was intended to be just a pure push on. I thought the sleeve should have screwed off and marked the sleeve trying. Still have it in my garage marks and all. The shift **** I have on my car is a true Mercedes part with screw offf sleeve.