Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Door Panel Help Please!!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panel Help Please!!

I am appealing to all those who have successfully pulled their door panels off and reinstalled them.

I changed the speakers in my door panels all went successfully following the stickie that shows step by step on how to get the door panels off. Everything went fine. But when I put both door panels on the handle from the inside is not opening the car, unless I give the door a little push.

Because of this I have taken the door panels off several times to see what is causing the hangup and I cannot see anything. I do not see where I can shorten the cable to take out unnecessary slack, which is curious because i never had this problem until I removed the panels.

I do not like having to push on the door to open it from the inside. For such a bueatiful car it looks kind of tacky.

For those who have taken off the panels and put them back on did you encounter the same problem and if so what did you do to remedy the matter?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Re: Door Panel Help Please!!

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
I am appealing to all those who have successfully pulled their door panels off and reinstalled them.

I changed the speakers in my door panels all went successfully following the stickie that shows step by step on how to get the door panels off. Everything went fine. But when I put both door panels on the handle from the inside is not opening the car, unless I give the door a little push.

Because of this I have taken the door panels off several times to see what is causing the hangup and I cannot see anything. I do not see where I can shorten the cable to take out unnecessary slack, which is curious because i never had this problem until I removed the panels.

I do not like having to push on the door to open it from the inside. For such a bueatiful car it looks kind of tacky.

For those who have taken off the panels and put them back on did you encounter the same problem and if so what did you do to remedy the matter?
I guess you attached the door latch cable to the white plastic connector on the inside of the door panel correctly?

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I guess you attached the door catch cable to the white plastic connector on the inside of the door panel correctly?
I attached it from the top and pushed down. But when I pull the door handle it does not fully disengage the door. Almost as if there is some slack in the cable. I am getting this in both doors, something that did not happen until I took the panels off. Any suggestions?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 PM

I attached it from the top and pushed down. But when I pull the door handle it does not fully disengage the door. Almost as if there is some slack in the cable. I am getting this in both doors, something that did not happen until I took the panels off. Any suggestions?
When you pull the door release handle do you have a few inches of free play in it before it releases the door?
I am trying to think what it looks like when it is together, I believe the outer cable is stopped from moving while the door handle just pulls the inner wire cable. It has been a while since I did it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM

I had the same problem with my passenger door. Im not sure how much play the handle has, but mine i felt like it just needed a little bit in order to open. All I did was just twist the Door Latch Cable 2-3 times so the cable can be a little tighter. It worked for my door. but im not sure how much play your handle has. hope i helped

Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM

When you pull the door release handle do you have a few inches of free play in it before it releases the door?
I am trying to think what it looks like when it is together, I believe the outer cable is stopped from moving while the door handle just pulls the inner wire cable. It has been a while since I did it.
I did not see an inner and outer cable, just one cable. And there is no play before the door releases, the door simply is not releasing unless I push on it after pulling the handle. It is as if the handle needs more room to pull the cable

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 PM

I did not see an inner and outer cable, just one cable. And there is no play before the door releases, the door simply is not releasing unless I push on it after pulling the handle. It is as if the handle needs more room to pull the cable
I remember I had something similar and then I realized I had not hooked it up correctly. I believe that there is an inner and and outer to the cable just like bike brakes.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by orlando2128
I had the same problem with my passenger door. Im not sure how much play the handle has, but mine i felt like it just needed a little bit in order to open. All I did was just twist the Door Latch Cable 2-3 times so the cable can be a little tighter. It worked for my door. but im not sure how much play your handle has. hope i helped
Orlando: You mean to tell me that the cable can be shortened or lengthened. I did not see where you could crew or tighten the cable and looked for that because I believe therein lies my problem

EVERYONE---can the cable be twisted or sscrewed to tighten or loosen up??

Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 PM

Orlando: You mean to tell me that the cable can be shortened or lengthened. I did not see where you could crew or tighten the cable and looked for that because I believe therein lies my problem

EVERYONE---can the cable be twisted or sscrewed to tighten or loosen up??
No, well I couldn't find out how. I just twisted the the hook thing that connects to your door handle. And while doing that, it made the cable become shorter. Which gave less play when I hooked it back up to the handle. I'm sorry, it's kinda hard for me to explain

Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM

No, well I couldn't find out how. I just twisted the the hook thing that connects to your door handle. And while doing that, it made the cable become shorter. Which gave less play when I hooked it back up to the handle. I'm sorry, it's kinda hard for me to explain
Yes that kind of baffles me because I did not see where the hook screws in or out from the wire. Mine has the wire fastened to the hook with no means of screwing onto the wire. But maybe I need to look at it again

Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 PM

Im confusing you and im sorry, but this is the way i think you will understand me.

You have a swing right(where little kids like to play), you start twisting it and twisting it....and the more you twist it the higher it gets, the tighter it gets and therefor the shorter the ropes get right.

well thats what im doing to the cable, I'm not actually screwing it on tighter or anything. im just twisting the whole thing making the cable and hook more tense.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 PM

Im confusing you and im sorry, but this is the way i think you will understand me.

You have a swing right(where little kids like to play), you start twisting it and twisting it....and the more you twist it the higher it gets, the tighter it gets and therefor the shorter the ropes get right.

well thats what im doing to the cable, I'm not actually screwing it on tighter or anything. im just twisting the whole thing making the cable and hook more tense.
I get what ypu are saying but it would appear that your cable would get twisted up in a knot and creating problems. I understand your concept but it does not appear the mechanism was made to be twisted like that. Kind of scare me. Has anyone else done what Orlando suggests. If so, then maybe I will try twisting up the cord

Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 PM

I get what ypu are saying but it would appear that your cable would get twisted up in a knot and creating problems. I understand your concept but it does not appear the mechanism was made to be twisted like that. Kind of scare me. Has anyone else done what Orlando suggests. If so, then maybe I will try twisting up the cord
I didn't twist it that much for it to knot up, just like 2-3 times. Mine has been like that for around 6 months and no problem. I know it's causing a unnessesary tension on the cable but it's the only way I could solve the problem

Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 AM

Slow down and think about this problem with reason, you took it apart, never touched the lock mechanism. When you went to put it together it was not working. Now what does that tell you? It tells me you are putting it together wrongly.

I would assume that Orlando put his together wrong as well, but he decided he could fix it by doing what he said you should do.

If you want to do that then go ahead, and I will not bother to say another word.

As I said you are putting it together wrong as I did before I realized, within less than a minute, what I was doing was wrong.

The angled wire clip fits in the white plastic snap more than one way if I recall correctly. You do not have to attach the door panel to check it, just drop it over the top of the door and the door release and check to see if it works.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM

Slow down and think about this problem with reason, you took it apart, never touched the lock mechanism. When you went to put it together it was not working. Now what does that tell you? It tells me you are putting it together wrongly.

I would assume that Orlando put his together wrong as well, but he decided he could fix it by doing what he said you should do.

If you want to do that then go ahead, and I will not bother to say another word.

As I said you are putting it together wrong as I did before I realized, within less than a minute, what I was doing was wrong.

The angled wire clip fits in the white plastic snap more than one way if I recall correctly. You do not have to attach the door panel to check it, just drop it over the top of the door and the door release and check to see if it works.
I think I may have put it together wrong but it solved my problem. I guess it'll be fine for now