New England Forum Serving CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT

Newport performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Newport performance

I haven't had a chance to take my XFire out on a lonesome road to see if there is truly a noticeable difference since I got the tune. My ride back from Colt State Park was at 35-45 mph in traffic on secondary roadways. Tony told me not to go too fast for about 24 hours until my new chrome grill had a chance to settle in re the adhesive. My car did seem to rev faster on the way home yesterday. Time will tell. I didn't try the SB because I figured I had spent enough money between the tune and my new chrome grill. By not buying the tune and the SB at the same time, I will be better able to judge how the tune has enhanced performance without confusing the SB and the tune together.

Bob

Old 04-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xfirenorth
I haven't had a chance to take my XFire out on a lonesome road to see if there is truly a noticeable difference since I got the tune. My ride back from Colt State Park was at 35-45 mph in traffic on secondary roadways. Tony told me not to go too fast for about 24 hours until my new chrome grill had a chance to settle in re the adhesive. My car did seem to rev faster on the way home yesterday. Time will tell. I didn't try the SB because I figured I had spent enough money between the tune and my new chrome grill. By not buying the tune and the SB at the same time, I will be better able to judge how the tune has enhanced performance without confusing the SB and the tune together.

Bob
Bob, The sprint booster works great. I ended up getting one at the cruise it makes the throttle response much better. I'm glad I bought it you should buy one for your next mod.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie
Talked to the wife tonight - good thing our anniversary is next week. I'm doing the ECU!!!
What a great anniversary gift - beats the heck out of jewelry.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the Sprint Booster also. Almost glad Anthony couldn't do my tune. What a difference! The throttle response is way better now. Hardly have to press and there is very little lag! I mean hardly noticeable lag! It is definitely worth it. The tune will help the mid and high ranges. The SB took care of the low end.
Stan

Old 04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb
What a great anniversary gift - beats the heck out of jewelry.
What was great was on the way home from Newport she asked me what I wanted for our anniversary.... so I'm picking up a small practice guitar amp (I don't want to disappoint her)!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 AM
Forum Regular

Get a Sprint Booster instead. You'll enjoy the car much more. Can always get another amp later.
Stan

Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Forum Regular

I managed to score a Gibson amp that lists for $999 for only $260. A bargain like that only comes around once on a Blue Moon! I couldn't NOT do it!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Forum Regular

I took the XFire into work today. That gave me a chance to see if there was any difference with low speed performance after the ECU tune. Remember I didn't get the SB, I just did the tune.

My XFire seemed to build rpm's faster. The acceleration seemed a bit quicker as the tach seemed to go towards redline quicker than before. I must add I didn't go over 65 mph because of traffic conditions and the road I was traveling on was not an Interstate Highway, but rather Rte 1.

I'm planning a CT trip on Friday so that will allow me some running room on the highway to make a judgement on changes in the car.

You probably noticed my use of the word "seemed" when it came to describing increased performance. Without an official timing of my car at a track, it is impossible for me to say the car is quicker, faster, or definitely better because of this tune. I'm a pretty good judge of "before and after" and once I've driven the car a bit more under varied conditions I will be better able to give you a more true to life assessment of my ECU Tune.

I'm also interested if I will see a slight increase in mpg's. I filled my tank just before I left for the Newport Cruise and I got 26.5 mpg's off the last tank of gas with varied driving. It was kind of a mix of around town type driving and a moderate amount of highway driving. I'm extremely pleased with the gas mileage so far, and anything above what I achieved will be wonderful. I've mentioned before that my Hemi Ram does 13 mpg, and my bride's GMC Envoy does 15-17 mpg, so the XFire has already doubled my Hemi's mpg and may come closing to doubling the Envoy's 15 mpg if I keep my foot out of it. Little did I know I was buying an economy car when I purchased my XFire! We won't even mention my boat's mileage at 1.2 miles per gallon.

Bob

Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 AM

Drove from Warwick to new London, Conn. Took the ferry to Long Island and drove home.

My Xfire now revs to 6200 rpm, accelerates faster, revs quicker, and you can really feel the difference of this ECU tune.

Thank you Tony (TVT_Design). Worth every dollar to do the tune!

LOVE IT!!!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Forum Regular

I spent a little more time on the big road with the XFire today. I'm beginning to sense the difference between the before and after of the ECU Tune. The performance has definitely been enhanced. My rpm's are building more rapidly at a lower rpm then it did before the tune. It seems the tach heads for red line quicker if that makes sense. The more I drive it, the more I notice it.

There were other folks who had the tune done at Newport. What do you guys have to say?

Bob

Old 04-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Forum Regular

I've been reserving judgment, because I want to make sure I'm noticing a real change vs. imagining something because I want to. I do notice a change in performance - the engine seems to have more power and the fuel economy is noticeably better. It seems like the HP gains are real, most noticeably in the midrange and higher RPMS - right where I was told they would be. I figure to wait a weelk of so before I do a real report...

So far, I'm liking it!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 AM

I got both done and it really changed the car for the better. No more lag, passing cars is more fun since the car revs faster you can hear the sweet sound of the exhaust. North if you don't buy the SB for a while you can take a spin in my car to compair the SB/ECU to just the ECU Tune the nest time our paths cross. Hopefully not on the Mass highways. HAHAHA

Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Forum Regular

Guy's and gals, I'd like to thank everyone who attended the Newport Cruise, it was fun and we sure did have a great time. Yes, our club is blessed with some really wonderful people. I hope that we can do more and more stuff as the season continues. If anyone has any ideas about future cruises, please let me or Bruce, Stan or Peter know. I hate to be redundant but it was really great fun!!!
Rick

Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Forum Regular

Well, it's been over a week and I'm real happy with the tune. I can really feel the difference in acceleration and higher end performance. Now it's time to clean my K&N's and really get some airflow back into the engine...

Money well spent. Thanks Tony!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Well, it's been over a week and I'm real happy with the tune. I can really feel the difference in acceleration and higher end performance. Now it's time to clean my K&N's and really get some airflow back into the engine...

Money well spent. Thanks Tony!
Nick:
How's the mileage been?

Paul

Old 05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Forum Regular

I haven't actually measured gas mileage lately, but I travel around the state all the time and the car is definitely using less gas... noticeably less!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 PM

I haven't actually measured gas mileage lately, but I travel around the state all the time and the car is definitely using less gas... noticeably less!
Thanks for the info. If and when I do a ECU update, higher mileage would be my only reason.
Although, I hope peoples higher mileage readings aren't just because the "winter blend" is now gone.
Paul

Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Forum Regular

Well I've gone through a few tanks of gas since the ECU tune. Now I feel more comfortable about expressing my feelings about the tune.

My Xfire feels like it is quicker. It seems to build rpm's faster. The tune has definitely added more "zip" for lack of a better word.

On the downside, my miles per gallon have dropped off. Could it be the tune or could it be my foot is heavier on the accelerator? My best combo of around town (75%) and highway (25%) driving was 26.5 mpg before the tune. Now I'm averaging 24 mpg.

I find the Crossfire to be a spirited machine that I enjoy driving more now than before. The nicer weather brings that out of me, and I find myself shifting at higher rpm's than I was when I first purchased the car. That may explain the decrease in mpg.

Would I recommend the tune even if it is responsible for less mpg? I would say, "Yes". Am I personally responsible for the lower mpg? I would say, "Probably". Would I be willing to keep my foot out of it and try a true gas mileage test over a 100 or so miles? I would say that could be a very difficult thing to do with a fun car like this.

Bob

Old 05-23-2008, 04:39 AM
Forum Regular

That is definitely a problem! If I take it easy I get better mileage. Burt it is so darn much fun to stomp it now...