New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

owner of a 2005 XF

Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default owner of a 2005 XF

Just wanted to say hi, and that I'm so pumped about doing some work on this car.

My main focus will be the interior as the old off white color is fading and discolored.

See you guys around!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: owner of a 2005 XF

Welcome! You will find anything You need here. Sounds like the Interior section is where you will start, but take some time to peruse the mechanical sections as well. This site will save You thousands in the upcoming years with Your Blue beauty. Are You planning on reupholstering Your seats or redoing the whole Interior?

Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM

Yes, I plan to start on the door and dash panels first, the panels under the steering wheel are really discolored so I figure I'd start there. The seats are in decent enough shape to live with for now.

I just replaced the fuel pump/ filter right when I got it and now I'm getting some errors about the mix being too lean(p0171, p0174) so I'll work on that first, I'm really excited to put a little money in this old girl, I only paid 8k for her so I have a bit of room to play with!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Madhax
Yes, I plan to start on the door and dash panels first, the panels under the steering wheel are really discolored so I figure I'd start there. The seats are in decent enough shape to live with for now.

I just replaced the fuel pump/ filter right when I got it and now I'm getting some errors about the mix being too lean(p0171, p0174) so I'll work on that first, I'm really excited to put a little money in this old girl, I only paid 8k for her so I have a bit of room to play with!
After replacing both the fuel pump and filter, I would think you'd be getting 'too rich' codes, if anything. Regardless, give the old girl some time to adjust to the new diet, reset the codes and see if they come back. These babies are kinda finicky .......
( you might want to check the fuel pressure at the fitting on the fuel rail at the right front of the engine, should be around 60 PSI.)

Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
After replacing both the fuel pump and filter, I would think you'd be getting 'too rich' codes, if anything. Regardless, give the old girl some time to adjust to the new diet, reset the codes and see if they come back. These babies are kinda finicky .......
( you might want to check the fuel pressure at the fitting on the fuel rail at the right front of the engine, should be around 60 PSI.)
Yes I agree with you on that. I think I'll give her some time to adjust and see how things work out. To be honest I'm seeing some sputtering every now and then when I stop at a light and try to go again, it's a bit spooky. Thanks for your input guys!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats, one of the nicest interior color combinations

Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by rayth
congrats, one of the nicest interior color combinations
Thanks Rayth, Sadly the interior needs a lot of work, and most of it is the tan part discoloring or maybe it's just old age.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Rayth, Sadly the interior needs a lot of work, and most of it is the tan part discoloring or maybe it's just old age.
there are some overlay kits for the dash that you could look into, but it would probably be a shame to cover up that color combo.. I can't imagine trying to keep that color clean..

but hey, it sounds like you got the car for a steal $$$ wise, so maybe this is your penance

Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by rayth
there are some overlay kits for the dash that you could look into, but it would probably be a shame to cover up that color combo.. I can't imagine trying to keep that color clean..

but hey, it sounds like you got the car for a steal $$$ wise, so maybe this is your penance
All it needs is some time, work, and a few bucks here and there! This site is packed with all kinds of great info. I've been reading so much information I feel like my head is going to explode! I want to keep the color combo for sure, maybe a repaint or something!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I hope in the reading you found OEM filter is required with the built in pressure regulator .. member heading to California a few months back found that out after several crank positioning sensors..

And congrats on the ride! Wife wanted one like that in red.. then she saw the blue first hand and was open for it.. then jumped on a vette train.. LOL.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Well I hope in the reading you found OEM filter is required with the built in pressure regulator .. member heading to California a few months back found that out after several crank positioning sensors..

And congrats on the ride! Wife wanted one like that in red.. then she saw the blue first hand and was open for it.. then jumped on a vette train.. LOL.
Nice, I'm going to check this out right away, Thanks for a heads up!

Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Just from my experience with the Tahoe.. "Bank 1 lean condition"
Injector cycle was at full duty (maxed out) and she was not reading the mixture she wanted to see.. that was from the blowout in the internal tank hose between the pump and internal filter..was just recirculating the fuel.
Seeing "just replaced" in his comments and sputtering condition pretty much would point to the filter/regulator being an off brand or having issues...whole lot like our California bound girl..

At least I'm not going to have to beat my head against the wall saying "FUEL FILTER" in this thread.. LOL

Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 PM

Spent the day running through stop and go traffic to allow the system to catch up with the new fuel pump/filter. I verified that it WAS OEM, and on the drive home today at some point the light CEL just turned off and all is well for now. So it looked like it just needed a few joy rides!

I did have issues with the garage door bit however, took a look at the forums and noted a few things but still wasn't successful on the programming of my cars homelink controls.

I also took a look at my garage mfg and they had a tid bit I tried to no avail as well.
How do I program my vehicle's HomeLink system with my Raynor garage door opener? - Raynor Garage Doors
I'm seeing the blinking light go fast when I hold 1 & 3 down, however after that nothing seems to respond. i even went to home depot and snagged a universal remote thinking my remote had something to do with it. same results, the remote and homelink aren't syncing up.

I have an extended warranty through Naviss for anything big that fails, but I wanted to pick your brains on anything small I could do mechanically to help this old girl out. I've been reading a few things, like the steering dampner bit to improve pulls from ruts (for that cheap why not do it). Any ideas thrown would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ross

Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 PM

Good to hear on the fuel system! How many miles on her? Mine needed lower ball joints at 100k. Homelink thing.. your garage door have the rolling codes? I gave up at our rent house.. lol. But do have my moms programmed in and worked "per the book"..

Oh..and cheap insurance.. score a Bosch crank positioning sensor and the tools needed to replace with.. these are about the most common failure part of the car.. along with the RCM contacts.

You can click the red links in my signature for more details.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 06-25-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome Ross and congrats on the beautiful Xfire! Where in Texas are you? I'd like to add you to the Texas Xfire List.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Good to hear on the fuel system! How many miles on her? Mine needed lower ball joints at 100k. Homelink thing.. your garage door have the rolling codes? I gave up at our rent house.. lol. But do have my moms programmed in and worked "per the book"..
Mr, about 83k. I'm about to give up I'm not understanding why they wont sync, I'm assuming the signal isn't hitting something it should be and it might just be broken. My old remotes used dip switches and the new remotes just use built in functioning to find the freq.

Inferno, I'm in Wichita Falls. roughly 2 hours north of DFW.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 PM

Might check your calendar and see how this fits in..

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ber-1-7-a.html

Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Inferno, I'm in Wichita Falls. roughly 2 hours north of DFW.

Thanks guys!

Gotcha! Again, welcome to the forum and congrats. This forum is full of knowledgeable members that will help you with your questions. Since you are new, you might not be aware of the Crossfires Across America event happening this year in west Texas this September. Perhaps you can join us? If not the full week, consider joining us for the Texas Motor Speedway event September 7th. Here's the link to information about the events: CAA4