New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Excited to be an owner

Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Excited to be an owner

Greetings from deep South Texas - where the USA meets Mexico and the Gulf of Mexico. Cannot go further south than this. Bought an 05 Limited Coupe yesterday for daughter's go-to-college car. Yes, she is excited for her first car and I am half tempted to keep it for myself. It has 126K miles on it. It is silver. The car runs great, but I'm finding a few little issues here and there. I'll be searching the forum for solutions. Any Rio Grande Valley members, please feel free to touch base.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Excited to be an owner

Welcome.
I say keep for yourself
sapphire silver blue is the color, same as mine, I like the ssb the best.
hope she knows, "premium gas only" higher compression engine, can lead to problems down the road, especially if it has had a tune on it.
​​​

Old 07-31-2018, 10:33 PM

That girl is a fighter and I'm not sure I'd win in keeping the car for myself. Maybe I'll get my own down the road a bit. Right now she gets to drive only with me since she is on a learners permit. I get to drive it the rest of the time.
Yup. Premium fuel prominently displayed on the filler door and a nice little lecture from Dad.
Thanks.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

The higher mileage cars tend to be more reliable, so you should be OK. But if that car had only 40,000 miles, like hell I'd send a kid off to college in it.
Crossfires tend to be very difficult to find service for. Just read a few threads here, you will understand. But it sounds like there is some time before she's off to school in it, so I imagine you will have a good idea bout the car by then.

Remember, you can always take the car to your local Chrysler dealer - they won't fix it, but you can take it to them - just leave a blank check when you do.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:05 PM

I turned wrenches in college (wow! 40 years ago now), so I at least know what questions to ask. I also found a very honest and reliable mechanic nearby who can work on and fix almost anything.

For the price I paid ($2300), it was the best car I saw in the price range - I was looking for Honda's, Toyota's, etc. - for her college car. I think we made a good choice (fingers crossed).

Old 07-31-2018, 11:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
you can always take the car to your local Chrysler dealer - they won't fix it, but you can take it to them - just leave a blank check when you do.
that reminds me of Plymouth.
Please. Lay. Your. Money. Out. Under. The. Hood.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by HanksDad
I turned wrenches in college (wow! 40 years ago now), so I at least know what questions to ask. I also found a very honest and reliable mechanic nearby who can work on and fix almost anything.

For the price I paid ($2300), it was the best car I saw in the price range - I was looking for Honda's, Toyota's, etc. - for her college car. I think we made a good choice (fingers crossed).
wow! my first car was a 74 Pinto. (actually I did have a 66 Bellaire first but never "legally" drove it on the streets.)

Not sure I would let a kid loose in a Crossfire as a first car, the price sounds right.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:03 AM

My first car was a 1933 Pontiac coupe with a straight 8. Towed it home at age 14 but ever had the money to get it running. Gave it to a nephew 4 years ago. My first driveable car was a 1969 MG Midget. I've been a sports car lover ever since.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 AM

the Bellaire was traded for the Pinto I think. I do know the Bellaire was entered in a demolition Derby that it pretty much declined to participate in.
we actually read the rules, you had to relocate the fuel tank, and put a firewall around it, remove all glass, cut an 18" hole in the hood for a fire hose to put it out should it catch fire.
we over Redneck engineered it.

16 gallon beer keg for a fuel tank w/galvanized steel sheet metal riveted over it. ( I saw things that were SCARY in comparison.)

our driver gave somebody a jump before the event, then our car stalled and wouldn't re fire when the flag dropped. we towed it home.

I actually drove the car to the salvage yard. memorable trip with the ride down the hill pumping the non existent drum brakes, and flames flying past my head from the carb back firing through the hole in the hood when I let off the gas.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 338 Likes on 298 Posts

Lots of valuable info here for Newbes
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 08-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
The higher mileage cars tend to be more reliable, so you should be OK. But if that car had only 40,000 miles, like hell I'd send a kid off to college in it.
Crossfires tend to be very difficult to find service for. Just read a few threads here, you will understand. But it sounds like there is some time before she's off to school in it, so I imagine you will have a good idea bout the car by then.

Remember, you can always take the car to your local Chrysler dealer - they won't fix it, but you can take it to them - just leave a blank check when you do.
I really think you are off base when you say high milers are more reliable than low mileage cars.
My car has 37K on it and I have only had the headliner drop, and trouble with a cone filter falling apart.
High milers with excellent maintenance may be OK but ........

Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

I really think you are off base when you say high milers are more reliable than low mileage cars.
My car has 37K on it and I have only had the headliner drop, and trouble with a cone filter falling apart.
High milers with excellent maintenance may be OK but ........
I use cone filters in my coffee maker. Where is one in the Crossfire ? Aftermarket air cleaner ?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I use cone filters in my coffee maker. Where is one in the Crossfire ? Aftermarket air cleaner ?
I tried to perk up the cars performance up so I tried coffee filters.

The cone filter was a Green filter and the filter oil rotted the rubber which then tried to go through the TB. Luckily it jammed in the butterfly plate.
I am using the K&N ones now, I used the Greens while I cleaned the K&Ns and forgot to switch back.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

No doubt a Red Green filter, eh ?

Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM

LOL
I should have repaired it with duct tape.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still laughing, brilliant humour, eh!
from a friendly Canuk and owner of probably the best car I have ever owned (08 SSB Roadster)….. and no I'm not a national security risk...… really?????
Steve

Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
In general, I think I'm right, Dave. I can come back at you with: "My 116,000 mile Roadster, that I drove every day, was almost NEVER a problem, my current SE, which had 28,000 on it in 2015, has been a constant problem child..."