New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

2005 not starting

Old 04-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 not starting

Hello Need some help. My dad has a 2005 convertible. Last year he started having major issues. The car will not start. Been at the dealer since last August. Said that he needs to replace ABS module which cost around two grand. And they cant find one said it will not be in till august of this year. I have tried the solder joints on RCM and replaced the CSP. So right now his car will not start all lights on dash work but does not even try to start at all. I have noticed that when we do try to start it the fan comes on like it is going take off. We turn the key off before it goes crazy. He has brand new fully charged battery too. The thing that sucks is the Chrysler dealer told him that they are not sure that the ABS will fix it. if it doesn't they need to change transmission module. Any suggestion would help. Another thing is that before it would not start at all. It was intermittent starting. One time it would only let him drive 10 miles an hour down the road.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: 2005 not starting

See my sigline.

You get one pass, I'm not going to go off on you THIS time, but get a damn flatbed to take your car home. You already know the dealer has no clue and will never get the car running.

You are describing an RCM issue - could be the Engine control relay and not the solder joints. In any case, get the damn car home and le'ts get it running.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Oh, and once the car is home, check every fuse in the RCM. If the 25 amp fuse is blown, it will be the second one in three days like that.
We still don't know what is blowing the fuse, but we will figure it out.

If you post, "We are gonna leave the car at the dealer..............................." I will NEVER respond to any post you make again.

EVER.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Easy my Dad got the car home few weeks ago. It was killing him that it was just sitting in the weather. I will look into the RCM and check fuses. I have tried the solder thing but didn't work I will check everything else and re post with my findings.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:42 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 452 Likes on 319 Posts

I know you just joined the forum but from all of us who have been here for years we know that the dealer is not going to fix a Crossfire
Several reasons for this are that the Crossfire has not been produced now for 11 years and only a few Chrysler dealers in the country have a mechanic that understand these cars
Bring the car back home and begin to follow the advice provided here and you will most likely fix it yourself
Otherwise take it in to a shop that specializes in German cars but NOT CHRYSLER please !!!!!

Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM

Thanks I believe in these forums. My father joined this one too but forgot his password told him how to retrieve it but I know my dad that’s why I joined to get help. Anyways I agree with the dealer thing they don’t know. I appreciate the help, where is the ECM is that the circuit card I removed and soldered already? It has some fuses on it.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 452 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Nrbridges
where is the ECM is that the circuit card I removed and soldered already?
It has some fuses on it.
The RCM is inside this box highlighted in RED
You can order a NEW RCM from fcpeuro (link below)
Most of us carry a new spare just in case ours fails

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...lay-1705450305

Last edited by Valk; 04-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Administrator

So right now his car will not start all lights on dash work but does not even try to start at all.
If resoldering the RCM did not work, gotta be the relay itself. You are describing (when you also say the engine fan takes off like a rocket) a failed "engine control relay" output from the RCM.

ONE THING, is it POSSIBLE that the fuse on the RCM feeding the ECM has blown. Make sure all fuses on the RCM are good.
Other than that, I'd almost say what Gary said - order an RCM from FCPEuro. Or send the RCM to DJ and he will ship it back FIXED for $30 - DJ never fails!

Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

I think it is $50.00 with the relays. No matter what, that is a deal. If you order a new one, have DJ rebuild the old one as a backup.

Last edited by ZERACER; 04-11-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

More info!
STILL fixing them!
As mentioned. Email tighed1@hotmail.com.

Here's the latest info.

"If you would like me to refurbish your RCM...

Send your RCM and $30 (cash, money order, check) to:

DJ TIGHE
3601 Pinnacle Ct
Sierra Vista, AZ 85650

I'll inspect, redo bad solder joints, perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) and replace the Air Pump relay.
I will then test your RCM in one of my cars. Then I mail back the RCM to you via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day).
In most cases, I get the RCM back in the mail the day after I receive it so yer looking at about a week total.

If you want the package insured please include an additional $5. FYI, In the few years I have been doing this only 3 have been lost in the mail.
If you ship to me via a method that requires a signature it will extend your waiting time as I will have to go into town to sign for the package.
Leave all fuses and plastic cover on RCM.
Let me know what symptoms the car had.
Please email your address to me also.

Or for $50 I will replace all relays (except horn - it never goes bad). You should NEVER have an RCM problem then.
NOTE: If the 3 middle RCM relays are a lot darker in color than the outer 2 relays, I would suggest getting this service performed.
They (relays) have been HOT and are more prone to failing (my experience).

tighed1@hotmail.com

DJ"

Old 04-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Administrator

The relays cost him $4 each so that's a deal when you consider the time involved to do this.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 PM

My dad has ordered the RCM be here next week. If this fixes it I will send the old off to get fixed. Thank you all for the great info. This helps a lot. My dad loves this car. He has missed driving it.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Administrator

You know, he's not far from our "Mecca"............... make sure he knows about it:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ber-3-6-a.html

Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM

I will let him know. But he is turning 70 this summer and getting him to stay away from home is hard to do. He his from Asheville and can’t get him to go back to even see his mom. But maybe this will get his interest,

Old 04-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Administrator

We had a guy from Florida at the Dragon these past three Dragons - he's 94!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:22 PM

That’s awesome. My dad is here with me now. Said my grandma is 92. He seems real interested in the get together. Said we have to get car going first. I will keep you guys posted on our progress with the car.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 PM

Update on the no start Crossfire. The new RCM came in today i put it in and the car cranked right up. I have never seen my Dad so happy. You guys on this forum are terrific. We cant thank you enough for all the great info you have provided. We plan on sending the bad RCM to the guy you recommended on the forum. So we will have a spare like you guys suggested. That car was originally my mothers car. She passed away to cancer October 2014. The car has some emotional value to my dad. It means a lot to get the car going again. Again thank all of you for the great help. I will try to talk him into the dragon tail ride this fall. See what happens. I will keep in touch with our progress. Oh my dad plans to drive the car back to the Dodge dealership and tell them he doesn't need the ABS module anymore. I am sure he is going to rub it in a little.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's great news. A lot of on this forum are around your dad's age and have emotional attachments to our cars. You're a good son, and I'm sure your dad is proud of you in so many ways. Good job!

Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Ok, call and make your reservation at the Lodge TODAY for the fall Dragon - we have 44 cars on the list so far.
He own't be our oldest attendee, not even close. And you should come with him - be a good father/son weekend.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on the no start Crossfire. The new RCM came in today i put it in and the car cranked right up. I have never seen my Dad so happy. You guys on this forum are terrific. We cant thank you enough for all the great info you have provided. We plan on sending the bad RCM to the guy you recommended on the forum. So we will have a spare like you guys suggested. That car was originally my mothers car. She passed away to cancer October 2014. The car has some emotional value to my dad. It means a lot to get the car going again. Again thank all of you for the great help. I will try to talk him into the dragon tail ride this fall. See what happens. I will keep in touch with our progress. Oh my dad plans to drive the car back to the Dodge dealership and tell them he doesn't need the ABS module anymore. I am sure he is going to rub it in a little.
I come to this post to continue learning about the Crossfire, and after reading you went to a Chrysler dealer, and people on this post recommend you getting away from the dealer, I couldn´t imagine this ending.
Very happy to read this post, awesome people on this forum sharing his knowledge. I will contribute as much as I can!

Greetings from Spain!