New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Crossfire frustration

Old 03-23-2020, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire frustration

Hi,
Last fall I bought a 2005 crossfire limited roadster convertible with 5000 miles on it. It is yellow with a black top and automatic transmission. I put it away for the winter. The alternator is making a noise that sounds like a bearing. I put a stethoscope on it to verify where the noise was coming from, and it does appear to be the alternator. The car is virtually brand new. Already I am frustrated because the Chrysler dealers in the Pittsburgh area. They suddenly dumb down when it comes to crossfires. I put a new battery in it shortly after I got it. I found that when it sits idle for over a week, something would drain the battery. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. I have spoken to other crossfire owners who don't use their cars as a daily driver. Some have experienced the same problem. Is this a common problem with these things? Thank you.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default re: Crossfire frustration

Originally Posted by carsmything
Hi,
Last fall I bought a 2005 crossfire limited roadster convertible with 5000 miles on it. It is yellow with a black top and automatic transmission. I put it away for the winter. The alternator is making a noise that sounds like a bearing. I put a stethoscope on it to verify where the noise was coming from, and it does appear to be the alternator. The car is virtually brand new. Already I am frustrated because the Chrysler dealers in the Pittsburgh area. They suddenly dumb down when it comes to crossfires. I put a new battery in it shortly after I got it. I found that when it sits idle for over a week, something would drain the battery. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. I have spoken to other crossfire owners who don't use their cars as a daily driver. Some have experienced the same problem. Is this a common problem with these things? Thank you.
Use the search option and look for 'battery drain' and you will find how to find the source of the problem.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi,
Yep, I had a premature bearing failure in my low mile XF as well.

I replaced the alternator and kept the noisy one in the hopes I could just swap the bearing out. Seems as though sometimes it is just as bad to let them sit as it is to drive them everyday.

Jared

Old 03-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 474 Likes on 330 Posts

I do know that if you keep your car locked it reduces the drain on the battery
This has been confirmed by one of our members here and the foreman of a Mercedes service center in the Chicago suburbs

Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

Batttery drain issues are common with all cars, I've had such an issue with my last two Ford Rangers - fixed both myself.
The three Crossfires I've had have never been a problem with battery drain, other than the one time one of my cars developed a siren issue.

Battery drain issues are usually (not always) the easiest thing to find and fix. As 180 has indicated, there are several threads here and in other placed on the internet to go to for help with that.
I have attached my poorly-written procedure. Where is says, down at the bottom, "remove red cable from back of battery", I mean "remove red cable from back of ALTERNATOR".

I have more advice, and if this offends you, GOOD! If you are offended, you will REMEMBER my words and that is what you need to do!
If your first response to a car trouble is to go to a dealer - SELL THE CAR TODAY. If someone offers you $500, take it.

If you can't or don't want to work on the car yourself, find an independent shop known for Mercedes experience.

One last thing, read ALL of my sigline below, I withheld profanity cause Im in a good mood.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Finding battery drain.docx (12.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-24-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:17 AM

I am about to pull my alternator out of the SRT6.
It was pointed out to me when I had the car in for air conditioning service.
Put a stethoscope on the alternator and a definite dry bearing noise.
Apparently, the rear bear can be replaced providing its not too far gone, otherwise its a new alternator.
I'll post an update when its complete

Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 PM

I glad that you are able to fix your vehicles yourself!!!!! Frankly, I don't care that you are able to fix your rangers, or any other vehicle. I thought that this was a crossfire forum! I only went to the dealer to get some information, not for repair. I repair my collector vehicles myself, but this one had me stumped. Everyone has different skill sets. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to help each other, not try to make yourself look better by putting them down just because they seek some helpful information. Also,battery drains are not common with most cars. Apparently you think a lot of yourself, and your so called SELF ACCLAIMED ABILITIES! Notice, Mr Wizard, that I said self acclaimed. I'm glad that you withheld profanity because people who have a hard time expressing themselves in person, and through the written word have to use profanity to make them feel important to people who really don't care. If you are an example of what this forum is all about, I don't want, or need your advice. Incidentally, maybe it is time to get rid of the rangers and other vehicles that you may possess and buy a new one. That way you can give that magnificent brain of yours a rest. Although, you need to remember that old saying, "put your brain in gear before you put that mouth in motion." Oh, If I offended you, GOOD! Just to quote you, "you need to remember my words, and that is what you need to do!" Also, I was wondering, does your mood have anything to do with your spelling and your ability to put a sentence together?Have a wonderful life!

Old 03-25-2020, 11:47 PM
Administrator

I glad that you are ....
You forgot to thank me for welcoming you to the forum.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:51 PM
Forum Regular

Popcorn anyone??

Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Popcorn anyone??
Butter or Kettle Corn?

Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Wow! This looks like someone who will not fit in too well here.
Two posts and ready for a fight, my money is on pizzaguy. A win by use of his banning powers.😉

Old 03-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sussudio
Butter or Kettle Corn?
Gotta go with butter here!!

It's been a while since I watched a good Jack Lemmon - Walter Matthau movie!!!

Jared

Old 03-26-2020, 10:34 AM

Hi carsmything, Welcome to the Crossfire Forum. I own a 2004 Crossfire Limited coupe with 35K miles and live in Beaver, PA. Many of the forum members have owned Crossfires since new or for many years and have a lot of knowledge to share. There are many threads that contain troubleshooting hints and procedures on almost every area on a Crossfire. Try the Search mode and also examine the Forum in detail. You will be amazed at the information and data that is available.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM

Hi carsmything, I forgot to mention that checking with your local Chrysler dealer is usually a waste of time. The Crossfire, as you probably know, is mostly a Mercedes 320SLK. Since Chrysler and Mercedes are no longer part of the same corporation, Chrysler dealers no longer want to repair, carry parts, or see a Crossfire. Look for an independent garage that specializes in European cars if you need any work done. Like you, I do many of the repairs myself but I have used a local garage to replace the front springs since I didn't want to do that job at my age. Hope you enjoy your Crossfire.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sussudio
Butter or Kettle Corn?
I recommend Carmel Corn.

(Altho I prefer those chocolate/carmel cookies the girl scouts sell.)

Old 03-27-2020, 02:38 PM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Re: Crossfire frustration

Another point made within this thread - It is easy for us to go "off topic" in just about any thread that is posted on this Forum. Just the way it is!

Old 03-27-2020, 02:57 PM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Another point made within this thread - It is easy for us to go "off topic" in just about any thread that is posted on this Forum. Just the way it is!
Anyway, welcome to our Forum just the same. You will find the electronics on these cars somewhat "quirky". Issues will crop up that you never experienced with another marque. However, just about any issue that surfaces has been dealt with by another owner already - You just have to research it using the "Search" functions & be a little "thick-skinned". Feedback will be received in all forms.

My experience indicates that quite a few of the German marques manufactured during the 10-year period of 2000 - 2009 all had similar issues crop up. I've got Porsche enthusiasts nearby that have cars produced in this time period and these type of issues they have experienced, too. Guess these marques all sourced their electronics from the same vendors. My $0.02.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 03-27-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:56 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

Can't do popcorn! Some of us don't have very good teeth (variety of reasons). In my case, the 'skins' of the popcorn plays heII with my gums and what few teeth that are left. So, are canned peanuts (salted, of course) OK? It is a viable alternative until I am at the 'pablum' stage... LMAO...

carsmything, welcome to the best car forum that exists for a hybrid bastage child of Fiat and Benz. The MESSY divorce has left us all out in the cold dead outer limits of space. Fear not though, an independent benz repair shop (hopefully in your yellow pages) will immediately recognize ANY chassis/drivetrain/engine/transmission issue beyond your obviously capable hands, and do all this at a (hopefully) reasonable rate, thereby softly landing you back to the comforts of Earth! Good luck!

Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

Can't do popcorn! Some of us don't have very good teeth (variety of reasons). In my case, the 'skins' of the popcorn plays heII with my gums and what few teeth that are left. So, are canned peanuts (salted, of course) OK? It is a viable alternative until I am at the 'pablum' stage... LMAO...

carsmything, welcome to the best car forum that exists for a hybrid bastage child of Fiat and Benz. The MESSY divorce has left us all out in the cold dead outer limits of space. Fear not though, an independent benz repair shop (hopefully in your yellow pages) will immediately recognize ANY chassis/drivetrain/engine/transmission issue beyond your obviously capable hands, and do all this at a (hopefully) reasonable rate, thereby softly landing you back to the comforts of Earth! Good luck!

She packed my bags last night pre-flight
Zero hour nine AM
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the earth so much I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
'Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone

Old 04-01-2020, 03:09 PM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
She packed my bags last night pre-flight
Zero hour nine AM
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the earth so much I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
'Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone

Chorus (partial)! And I think its gonna be a long long time.....