Northeast Forum Serving DE, MD, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV.

Fredericksburg VA Area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fredericksburg VA Area?

Got my wheels last week, they are SWEET! No pics yet, if the weather holds out will take some this weekend.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 PM

what are the details on the Dragon?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsquare
what are the details on the Dragon?

MMM DRAGON
(info)

Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 AM

Let me know if you are going

Old 10-04-2009, 12:03 AM

I did it, finally got a trophy! All it took was some new Rims

I showed last night at the BBQ, and the new lights got all of the attention, I still didn't win a "piggy". But I got This today at the "Dulles Day Plane Pull"

More pics are here

Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Congrats, Scott. Hope to see you at the Chris Dodge ride.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Forum Regular

Grats! I seen it parked downtown on my way home from work, they did look good on a drive by! I was gonna run by but it would have taken me to long to wash her down. I did a couple small things today, ill try to put up some shots tomorrow or so.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

Grabbed some quick shots today.

Started with the passenger light, it was in bad shape. Had most of the grime taken care of but it looked like somebody took a razor blade to it at some point, very deep scratches. Sanded it down 320-600-1000-2000. Still needs a little work around the edges, I only have 6" pads for the buffer so the edges are kind of dull and you can still see some of the sanding roughness. Totally got rid of all the deep scratches though, nothing to be embarrassed about anymore for sure.

Moved on to the Diffusers, They were already black but I wanted a little practice so I sprayed them flat black. It made them a liiiiiitle bit darker and less reflective but not much change.

Then what I really set out to do was paint the front grille. Used same flat black but it was pretty much pitch black by the time I finished the last coat. I have a can of gloss black and was thinking about doing the silver parts with the gloss but ran out of time. I may this week\end, I like the darker look for sure but it still has that "face of Chrysler"
(weird reflection from the driveway/house makes parts look copperish in pic)

Nice and clean...

Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 PM

I worked on my lenses Sunday, I had the Chrysler kit that included 600 1000 2000 grits sand paper, some oily lubricant for sanding, and some cleaning fluid to get the oily stuff off with and some sealant (seemed like polyurethane to me). I also had a 3m kit that I got at Pep Boys that attached to a drill. It had a 3000 grit polishink pad, I did not use the polishing compound that came with it, I just used water (after going though all of the steps with the Chrysler kit except the polyurethane). Then I urethane'd it. They we OK before the treatment with the urothane. They were pretty bad when I started, and they look fantastic now. I also had a loose cap on one of the driving lights and I fixed that today.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ah!!! Seeing both of your polished up headlights looking OEM quality is making me so jealous! My headlight looks awful right now. I know scott we previously discussed the possibility of me borrowing the fine grit polisher for the power drill? Would this still be possible? Those headlights look amazing! great work!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 AM

I probably still have enough glop left to do yours too. I will be at the airshow in Culpeper Saturday, and mowing the lawn on Sunday, but I can probably fit you in, give me a call you have my cell

Old 10-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Forum Regular

If you need sandpaper or anything advanced auto has every step from Steel wool to 2000 in the paint isle, that's where i picked up all of my stuff. Can always buy one of the 5 dollar lens kits for the lube and polish if needed also, just make sure to pick up sandpaper the little squares provided don't last long.

Will try to go in earlier tomorrow to get off in time to wash it down and head to the BBQ. Seen the new rims again today would have stopped but I had food delivery for the family with me, would have been way cold if I started talking cars lol.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:03 PM

I have to get my new wheels re-balanced tonight. Aparently some of the weights fell off in shipping, so I may be a bit late.

We all should consider going to this:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...th-2009-a.html

I already RSVP's yes for it. Will be a good break-in for the new rubber

Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Airscape
If you need sandpaper or anything advanced auto has every step from Steel wool to 2000 in the paint isle, that's where i picked up all of my stuff. Can always buy one of the 5 dollar lens kits for the lube and polish if needed also, just make sure to pick up sandpaper the little squares provided don't last long.

Will try to go in earlier tomorrow to get off in time to wash it down and head to the BBQ. Seen the new rims again today would have stopped but I had food delivery for the family with me, would have been way cold if I started talking cars lol.
Okay tell where I am going wrong here. I have the various fine grit sand paper and I also purchased steel wool as well. I have the PlastX compound as well as another brand of headlight cleaner (which does not work nearly as well as PlastX). My thoughts are that I merely don't have enough muscle to polish it out by hand and I need a porter cable or buffer to really polish out the lens? Can you buy those at advanced auto as well??

Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Forum Regular

Takes a bit of technique, the polishing at the end is where i needed the porter cable (available online) Check here for a good writeup on how to restore lenses. Can also search on Youtube or here for some videos. Really just tape it up and make a few passes with each grit (horizontal, vertical). Once you get to the 2000 it will look really fuzzy but the surface should be smooth. At that point use the plastX to polish it out. You could do it by hand but would need to use a bit more aggressive cloth to smooth out the sanding.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:27 AM

I have a polish attachment for the drill, that is much smaller than the grinder (less chace of hitting the paint). In any event you need to tape the are well. The drill attachment is a 3M product I got at either Pep Boys or Wal*Mart (I don't remember) in it there is 1000, 2000 and 3000 grit polishing pats as well as a polishing compound. but you need to keep the grit wet, DOT NOT HIT IT WITH THE STEEL WOOL!

For the final pass you can use the PlatX or I used the laquer from the Chrysler kit.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scottw60
I have a polish attachment for the drill, that is much smaller than the grinder (less chace of hitting the paint). In any event you need to tape the are well. The drill attachment is a 3M product I got at either Pep Boys or Wal*Mart (I don't remember) in it there is 1000, 2000 and 3000 grit polishing pats as well as a polishing compound. but you need to keep the grit wet, DOT NOT HIT IT WITH THE STEEL WOOL!

For the final pass you can use the PlatX or I used the laquer from the Chrysler kit.
Alright thanks Scott I am going to make run to PepBoys sometime this week to pick up the equipment. Did you use a buffer pad to finish it off? I assume yes as that would be the porter cable?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 PM

I have one, but I didn't use it. The glop from Chrysler (actually think it was a BG kit now) was more like Polyurethane, and did not need to be buffed. I have some light streaking, so I may apply another coat, but there is probably enough left for you if you cannot buff it out. - Good Lock =)

Old 11-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular

This thread needs a new post! About two weeks ago I went to Harbor Freight Tools right there on Route 3 and in their automotive section they have a "Headlight Lens Repair" kit for $15 bucks. Comes with a drill bit mount, two sanding pads, one polishing pad, and a little bottle of cleanser/polish. Followed the directions and my lens looks ten times better! When I get the chance I am going to repeat the process and incorporate PlastX into the works (I didn't have it with me the first time around). Will let you all know how it goes. I don't have a digital camera so no pics.

Also spotted: graphite gray limited in the parking lot of Popeye's on Route 3 yesterday 11/14.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Hey VA XF Owners............how many of you are planning on attending the All-Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, PA next July? I am trying to get a "number" so we can schedule a caravan up. LMK

Quick Reply: Fredericksburg VA Area?