Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

'73 mach 1 buildup

Old 10-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '73 mach 1 buildup

After realizing how cheap I can actually build up my Mustang for, I started working on it. Right now the dash is apart to fix a leak in the heater box and a couple other small things. Over the next couple of weeks I am going to buy a nice cam kit with everything from seals to pushrods, Australian high compression heads and a complete exhaust system header to tailpipe (or whatever I do). I hope to have the tires smoking in April (or sooner). Crossfires are too expensive to build!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 73 mach 1 buildup

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
After realizing how cheap I can actually build up my Mustang for, I started working on it. Right now the dash is apart to fix a leak in the heater box and a couple other small things. Over the next couple of weeks I am going to buy a nice cam kit with everything from seals to pushrods, Australian high compression heads and a complete exhaust system header to tailpipe (or whatever I do). I hope to have the tires smoking in April (or sooner). Crossfires are too expensive to build!
Downward, I'm not that familiar with what's being offered when it comes to modifying Fords. But I always thought "Cleveland Heads" were considered about as good as it gets.
What benefits do the Australian HC heads offer? I've never heard of them before.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Downward, I'm not that familiar with what's being offered when it comes to modifying Fords. But I always thought "Cleveland Heads" were considered about as good as it gets.
What benefits do the Australian HC heads offer? I've never heard of them before.
They are a closed chamber head, like the boss 302 and 4v heads (4v= barrell carb., 2v= 2 barrell). The 4v heads' ports are too big for any N/A application under 600hp though. The aussie head has the smaller 2v ports which promote mid-range intake velocity for better street use. I have a 4 barrell intake manifold now that will work with these heads. I bought a reconditioned set on ebay for a good price, and I'm probably getting the headers next week. My compression ratio is probably between 7-8:1, and these should bump it to 9 or more, depending on my clearances. I am expecting to see well over 300 to the wheels with the cam setup I am doing. If everything works just right 350-400 is feasible.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

building an old muscle car is always fun, and the parts are readily available...I thought about building another camaro until I bought the crossfire...I think I like learning about these little puter cars, they seem to make a lot of HP for what they are...but for what you spend on mods, you can buy a full-race engine for an old muscle car...beat it to death...but, I have already done that twice before...I'll stick to the XF...its more intriquing...'casue everything is new to me...

Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Another piece of the puzzle came via ups today... the second picture is just a box in my garage, can someone explain how it can be misused? A patio or gazebo?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAGE_00235.jpg (436.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAGE_00234.jpg (323.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 PM

somewhat new progress, cool stuff coming soon....
before

coming along, windshield coming out soon plus about 200 spot welds...

Here's the problem- the heater box's air inlet rotted out and needs to be cut out and new sheet metal needs to be welded back in.. After this is done, then comes the motor and chassis reinforcement. I decided to go with a diy fuel injection setup with a single turbo.. so it should have the potential to go faster than I will want to go with it.

Last edited by downwardspiral; 03-14-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That brought back memories of a 1972 mustang that I once had in my teens. It had a 351 with ram air. That is one car that I regret ever having sold.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 546 Likes on 460 Posts

I had a '73 Mustang Grande (302) new, nice car that was sadly lacking in air to its lungs because of all the pollution equipment.
Nice car though, the weaknesses were the timing chain and the gas tank was prone to rust on the top face. Fixing that rust, the bracket that the forward lip of the tank sat on disintegrated and I had to replace it with a steel angle. The tank was strapped up close to the trunk floor and silt from the roads built up on the top face and the dampness rusted the tank out. The silt also sat on the tank support.
Just check the support or the tank may drop off.
A lady T boned me and the car went to the wreckers after 12 years.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
That brought back memories of a 1972 mustang that I once had in my teens. It had a 351 with ram air. That is one car that I regret ever having sold.
Hey, it's never too late to buy another .. the prices are still relatively low, although they went up since I bought the car .

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I had a '73 Mustang Grande (302) new, nice car that was sadly lacking in air to its lungs because of all the pollution equipment.
Nice car though, the weaknesses were the timing chain and the gas tank was prone to rust on the top face. Fixing that rust, the bracket that the forward lip of the tank sat on disintegrated and I had to replace it with a steel angle. The tank was strapped up close to the trunk floor and silt from the roads built up on the top face and the dampness rusted the tank out. The silt also sat on the tank support.
Just check the support or the tank may drop off.
A lady T boned me and the car went to the wreckers after 12 years.
Lol, I know what you mean about lacking power.. I took the car off the road when I got the crossfire because it didn't do anything better than the crossfire, all it did was get attention and get 8 mpg.. not really what I was going for. The frame is in good shape, and I will be reinforcing it and POR-15ing everything that would be prone to rust. I recently bought a nice mig welder, so I'll be doing all the fabricating and body work over the next year or so. The car really isn't in bad shape, it just needs some love.

... as far as power goes
I am going to pretty much take a fuel injection setup from a newer mustang and adapt it to the good old Cleveland with a low boost single turbo. I am not going to use the aussie heads with the turbo, because I don't want to run race gas. I'm going to try to get the fuel injection set up this summer, play around with the tuning software then step up to the turbo when I can get the money together. On 8-10 psi I should be making upwards of 500 hp... I'm thinking about building it for higher boost, but only turning it up if I go to a track or something (which will probably last for a month PS: Roads are a part of civil engineering, right?

Last edited by downwardspiral; 03-15-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not my favorite body style but it is different. It's so easy to make those cars better than they ever were for less than one would think. Great project.

Les

Old 03-15-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
It's not my favorite body style but it is different. It's so easy to make those cars better than they ever were for less than one would think. Great project.

Les
I actually hated it until I sat it in lol. I saw alot of potential in it, mostly because it's a fastback and there are alot of areas where it can improve lol. I already lowered the car and put a slightly bigger tire on it, and it gets alot of attention.. I'm moving up on google search lol...

Last edited by downwardspiral; 03-15-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an absolute turd.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by C.raynes
What an absolute turd.
Wow, you created an account to make this your first post. You must really feel strongly about the 73 Mustang. So, you are either a current forum member that created a new account just to stir something up, or you are a complete moron and jackass. Either way, welcome to the forum.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 PM

nah just a jackass....

Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM

LOL..... Welcome to the forum jackass. Do you own a Crossfire? Year/type? Nothing like making a statement to get started I guess.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM

No crossfire here... I drive a volkswagen actually..

P.s. Im very good friends with len Aka Downwithspinaltap.^

Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Ahhh.... That explains it then. Maybe our influence will wear on you and you will own one in the near future.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM

haha maybe. I do love them...and i think i could make one look half way decent haha

Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Mine looks great if you just overlook the chump behind the wheel. LOL

Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by C.raynes
What an absolute turd.
lol thanks broski.. You know that theres no 18+ only section that pops up on this forum after 20 posts, right? lol.

Todays progress:
Drilled out about 50 spot welds, removed 2 integral panels... Next job is the windshield, but I forgot my heat gun today (already cracked it scraping out the adhesive around it).

Quick Reply: '73 mach 1 buildup