Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

'73 mach 1 buildup

Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 73 mach 1 buildup

wow. someones doing some work here. Hope you got the por15!

p.s. im aware of the 18+ and that sucks. This forum is rather funny its actually seemingly serious... But anyhow lets get the mustang fixed so we can slam it on its nuts.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Windshield is out in 1 piece! lol.. The crossfire in the picture is just a happy coincidence.. thanks for the inspirational photos Casey!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 AM

I spent 3 hours wire-brushing today so it looks better than this... but this is yesterday

Old 04-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
I actually hated it until I sat it in lol. I saw alot of potential in it, mostly because it's a fastback and there are alot of areas where it can improve lol. I already lowered the car and put a slightly bigger tire on it, and it gets alot of attention.. I'm moving up on google search lol...
My next door neighbor owns a twin to the copper Mach 1 in the photo next to your car.
I remember 71/72/73 Mustangs had a bad rep. because they were just getting too big and heavy, (straying from the "original" Mustang concept). But in reality, they still weighed less than their biggest competion, the Camaro/Firebird.
70 Mach 1's were my favorite, but I still liked the 71 style as well. Its roof sort of reminded me of the Ford GT 40 Mark IV.
Ford GT40 Mark IV - Supercars.net
Have you finalized your plans for the outside?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
My next door neighbor owns a twin to the copper Mach 1 in the photo next to your car.
I remember 71/72/73 Mustangs had a bad rep. because they were just getting too big and heavy, (straying from the "original" Mustang concept). But in reality, they still weighed less than their biggest competion, the Camaro/Firebird.
70 Mach 1's were my favorite, but I still liked the 71 style as well. Its roof sort of reminded me of the Ford GT 40 Mark IV.
Ford GT40 Mark IV - Supercars.net
Have you finalized your plans for the outside?
I'll figure out the paint and bodywork after I finish the engine work, I dont want to mess it up swinging the engine around . The cowl panel is done, I stripped everything to bare metal and POR-15'ed and Transtar seam sealered everything.

My fuel injection setup is coming along, I just need to machine the intake manifold for the injector bungs, get a fuel tank, filters,i ntake elbow, sump and fittings.
So far my setup is:
-Megasquirt 2 v3
-AEM wideband controller/ gauge
-8 24 lb low z injectors (for now, until I can afford the turbo setup)
-Universal 5/8 fuel rail, to be machined to accept 14mm injectors and 3/8 NPT inlets
-a 74mm throttle body from a Cadillac northstar (similar to LS1, but flipped for FWD layout) which I modified to work,
-Weiand x-celerator single plane manifold, which will be machined to accept injector bungs to be welded in.
-Bosch 044 fuel pump (good to 600ish hp)
-XRP pushlock AN line - -8from the tank to the rail, -6 return
-Aeromotive A1000 -6 return regulator w/ boost reference

I will buy a new fuel tank and weld a male -6 fitting to the top of it and weld a 3/8 NPT sump to the bottom of it.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Default Re: '73 mach 1 buildup

Well here you have it..I've successfully put a megasquirt fuel system from tank to fuel rails in a crossfire.

And it barely fit..

I really got started on my fuel injection swap today.. The old gas tank is out.. The new one is going in tommorow

I ended up cutting the manifold and fuel rails on a CNC machine.. They came out very nice.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

nice work...doing it up right...I really miss my old neighbor. He had a mill in his garage, TIG, and a small engine lathe...use to be able to sneak over there do some nice work...now, I have to farm it out, and that isn't easy when you want something done just right...keep up the good work...

Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
nice work...doing it up right...I really miss my old neighbor. He had a mill in his garage, TIG, and a small engine lathe...use to be able to sneak over there do some nice work...now, I have to farm it out, and that isn't easy when you want something done just right...keep up the good work...
Thank you sir .

Old 11-13-2010, 12:20 AM

I know most of you dont care, but I'm excited lol. This thing should run tommorow.. and I'll drive it for the first time since I got my gold crossfire. It was my first car, and I plan on having it for a while.
It looks like a rats nest, but i'll neaten it up once I know everything works.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Looking good! Any progress updates? When done that should make it to some mustang cruises or shows in the tri-state

Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonStang04
Looking good! Any progress updates? When done that should make it to some mustang cruises or shows in the tri-state
Thanks, I haven't made much progress lately with the cold and working with my college student with 2 cars and no life budget and schedule. I got it to the point where it will start with a little cranking pulsewidth tuning, but the battery is shot. I'll start working on it again soon. It'll be at some shows, and hopefully It'll make it through NYC to Englishtown for a day of thrashing and back. But that is several paychecks away lol.
Heres some updated pictures:

Last edited by downwardspiral; 12-17-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Well, I finally got it running today. I need to tune it now, and fix some odds and ends.. After I get this thing going, my next project will be to make the crossfire fast (video isn't cooperating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kDc9cAoqdw)

Last edited by downwardspiral; 01-08-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 PM

I haven't had much time or money to work on my car. I have a couple more weeks of school then I will start to buy turbo stuff. I'm really limited to the hours I can work by school, and paying for the crossfire is enough lol. I need to button up some odds and ends, the engine is leaking oil, the exhaust leaks etc. Once I get the turbo stuff together I will pull the engine, freshen it up and fabricate away. It'll be fast and eventually be pretty. I'll throw a 5 speed in it once I find one for a good price.

First time spinning the tires, used water to be gentle on the rear that isn't broken in yet (9" with 3.93's).
YouTube - First time spinning tires on megasquirt

I fabricated some low profile shock tower braces so I can fit some kind of intake tube on the car. This one is temporary. I will use a bunch of v-banded aluminum pipes once I get the turbo stuff together. Maybe I'll put a tig welder on my credit card and pay it off by welding for people lol.
My bootleg intake tube and scraggly plug wire setup. I have new wires, Im just taking care of other things first.:

This picture is just for franc, although I doubt he would look at this thread, unless he wanted to make fun of me lol. Ram air hood put to good use.

Last edited by downwardspiral; 05-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: '73 mach 1 buildup

Once you fix the running stuff, keep the body in its roughed-out appearance.

But if you want a prissy bad boy look, you could always strap "the Donald" to the hood

Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed! That looks bad ***! You need some Co2 tanks molded to the back, MAD MAX!!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jesus_Christler
Once you fix the running stuff, keep the body in its roughed-out appearance.

But if you want a prissy bad boy look, you could always strap "the Donald" to the hood
Originally Posted by tunaglove
Agreed! That looks bad ***! You need some Co2 tanks molded to the back, MAD MAX!!
Thanks, unfortunately I've never seen Mad Max, so I didn't get the reference until someone pointed it out to me a while back lol. I will keep the car a satin color, but it will probably be metallic. I've always liked that look since I was a little kid, I had a toy kawasaki ninja that was flat metallic blue and I thought it was the coolest thing ever lol. I'm thinking flat metallic army green to maintain the ugly to everybody but me factor.

I put on the rest of the new wires, it cleaned up the look of the engine bay a little. I took off the valve covers because they are for chumps. Also I'm having a bunch of stuff powdercoated. I'm on the fence with the tig welder, my buddy from work and me are tossing around the idea of renting a space.. I could make some money with the tig welder lol, they do powdercoating.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM

I tuned the car today, found out my popping on decel issue was a result of the timing being way too far advanced in the decel region.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eU9UyHn1dw <<< block long burnout
I got my schedule 10S bends to make up my turbo headers.. I'm making a CNC program for the flanges, which I will give to my friend to cut.

Last edited by downwardspiral; 06-05-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts