Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

ford gt's down for the count...

Old 02-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default ford gt's down for the count...

Car:
2005 Ford GT

Description:
Driver pulled up to a red light, as soon as it turned green, he revved up the engine, dropped the clutch, smoked the tires and just started to fishtail up the street. Finally smashing into a small barrier, spun around and smashed a telephone pole. Weird thing is that the airbags didn't even go off.

another boo boo...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2fordgt_20060122_001[1].jpg (77.8 KB, 223 views)
2fordgt_20060122_002[1].jpg (70.4 KB, 223 views)
30fordgt_20060210_001[1].jpg (52.4 KB, 222 views)
Old 02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: ford gt's down for the count...

OH THAT'S A HEARTACHE ANDREW !!! 2 of 1,400 GT40's down for the count...

Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is just so wrong for so many reasons. I got a ride in one not too long ago - they are incredible!!!

Old 02-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda makes you wish they would require a perspective new owner to pass an advanced driving/basic physics test.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs
Kinda makes you wish they would require a perspective new owner to pass an advanced driving/basic physics test.
Yeah, everyone thinks if they buy a racecar, they're a racecar driver... Why, oh why couldn't it have been an EVO !!!

Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before opening this thread, I thought it would be about Ford's decision to cancel the GT. But, I guess that is a discussion for another thread... unless I decide to shamelessly jack this one. And, okay, I will.

Ford will close it's Wixom, MI plant in the near future, which will end production of the Lincoln LS and Ford GT. The Ford Thunderbird (RIP) and Lincoln Continental were also made there. Ford maintains that they never intended to keep the GT around for more than a couple of years. Apparently, it has run its course (despite being one of the best supercars in the world). Maybe it is just to keep it exclusive. Bear in mind that Ford now owns the name "Cobra" (as it has been applied to many Mustangs over the years), and the GT500 is christened a "Shelby" (as some rare 'Stangs were decades ago). If Ford has the rights to use both "Shelby" and "Cobra", you could imagine an interesting (and just as legendary) replacement for the GT...

Old 02-14-2006, 10:33 AM

That makes me ill to no extent.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:51 AM
Forum Regular

Quite frankly the GT40 has been a favorite of mine since the early 80's... it doesn't matter to me... ALTHOUGH I FEEL FOR THE PEOPLE GETTING LAID-OFF... IF THE GT40 REDOUX
IS CANCELLED...

THERE ARE QUITE A FEW COMPANIES PRODUCING REPLICA VERSIONS THAT FOR LESS THE COST OF FORD'S VERSION, THE REPS CAN OUT PERFORM... THE ORIGINAL!!!

THESE REPLICAS ARE BUILT IN THE SAME FASHION AS THE ORIG gt40... DEPENDING HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO THROW INTO YOUR REPLICA... THE SKY IS THE LIMIT HERE...

CRASH TEST ON THESE PROVE SAFE BUT I'D LIKE TO SEE THESE REPLICAS OR ANY REPLICA IN A CRASH PHOTO... I AM GOING TO CHECK THAT SITE WHERE ANDREW GETS THESE SICK SHOTS! BETTER THEM THAN ME!!!

Old 03-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Re: ford gt's down for the count...

Juddz,
Now what are you sniffing?
Your avatars are something else.

Yeah, everyone thinks if they buy a racecar, they're a racecar driver...
HDDP, You are SOOOO right!

Old 03-12-2006, 07:39 AM

High performance car, low performance driver. I've seen this happen too many times.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by bobs
Yeah, when you have a hot toy, learn its characteristics before going for a "F1 Championship." Break it in gradually, not totally break it. Show some maturity. Total a $170K car, while the "new car" smell has not even wore off. What a moron. There are so many hazards on public streets, that performance cars should not be pushed to their limits anytime. Unleash the ponies only at a track (after the warrenty expires). Surviving classic cars become a "classic" by not being trashed by a former owner. Play safe guys!!!

Gburg

Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by juddz
Before opening this thread, I thought it would be about Ford's decision to cancel the GT. But, I guess that is a discussion for another thread... unless I decide to shamelessly jack this one. And, okay, I will.

Ford will close it's Wixom, MI plant in the near future, which will end production of the Lincoln LS and Ford GT. The Ford Thunderbird (RIP) and Lincoln Continental were also made there. Ford maintains that they never intended to keep the GT around for more than a couple of years. Apparently, it has run its course (despite being one of the best supercars in the world). Maybe it is just to keep it exclusive. Bear in mind that Ford now owns the name "Cobra" (as it has been applied to many Mustangs over the years), and the GT500 is christened a "Shelby" (as some rare 'Stangs were decades ago). If Ford has the rights to use both "Shelby" and "Cobra", you could imagine an interesting (and just as legendary) replacement for the GT...
It would have been nice to see the Ford GT evolve over the years like Corvettes and Vipers. Ford never did really support the new GT. Most of their dealers never sent their technicians to get factory training on how to maintain the GTs. Their shops do not have the lifts to properly lift the GT for service without damaging the car. Ford dealers suggested that customers change the oil themselves. There are about 40 bolts to be removed underneath the GT before the oil can be changed. Unlike most cars that have a single drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan. I don't have the garage, to get that intimate with a GT. $165K+ car and do my own maintenance... don't think so. Don't have the time or interest to learn either.

Just as well, as most Ford dealers do not know how to sell cars to high-end customers, as most of their cars go for under $30K. Some greedy dealers wanted $10-20K over MSRP. Read about one dealer that wanted $2-250K. Get real!!! With a $159K base price, the GT should not go for more than $171K. Actual window stickers seen on the internet had a price of $165.5K . I feel the same about Chrysler's "Firepower" concept should it go into production. And I HOPE that it does!!! The Firepower should not go for more $$ than a Z06 Corvette. What a nice decision: Vette... Firepower... Vette... Firepower...

Last edited by Gburg; 03-24-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gburg
Yeah, when you have a hot toy, learn its characteristics before going for a "F1 Championship." Break it in gradually, not totally break it. Show some maturity. Total a $170K car, while the "new car" smell has not even wore off. What a moron. There are so many hazards on public streets, that performance cars should not be pushed to their limits anytime. Unleash the ponies only at a track (after the warrenty expires). Surviving classic cars become a "classic" by not being trashed by a former owner. Play safe guys!!!

Gburg
GBURG

BUT FOR A CAR TO BE A C L A S S I C ... YEARS DOWN... THERE NEEDS TO BE A FEW CARS THAT STANDOUT FROM THE XF PRODUCTION GROUP TO PROMOTE AND CLAIM THAT IT HAS THE CAPACITY TO BE A CLASSIC...

AS FAR AS THOSE FEW CARS, I AM A VOLUNTEERING MINE ... AND I DO KNOW THAT THE ROUGHNESS MY XF GETS AND WITHSTANDS, WILL STILL BE SAFE ENOUGH TO BE PASSED DOWN 2 MY SON OR SOMEDAY HIS KIDS... JUST AS NEW ...THROUGH RESTORATION...

SO I DO RIDE THE CROSSFIRE TO ITS LEGAL LIMITS AND INTEGRITY LIMITS WHEN WARRANTED... NO IN BETWEEN FOR ME... I ENJOY THE XF'S RIDE AS IT SEEMS TO LIKE IT BACK... SUBTLY TAUNTING ME TO PUSH MORE SPEED INTO THE REAR WHEELS AROUND A BEND... THIS little POCKET ROCKET...
SUMS UP ALL MY NEEDS...

IN FACT... I STILL ADMIRE THE GT4O BUT HAVING THE XF I HAVE NO NEED TO OWN OR BUILD ONE FOR PERSONAL USE.

PEOPLE THIS XF HAS OUR BACK!!! ALREADY ...3X IT SAVED ME WITH ITS ABILITY TO AVOID... AND IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER WITH AFTERMARKET PRODUCTS... AS WE SPEAK... MY XF HAS NO MODZ... I AM WAITING TIL THE SUMMER TO STILL (HEHEHEHE) GET ACQUAINTED WITH THE...

-CROSSFIRE-

j.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by xfire1
GBURG

BUT FOR A CAR TO BE A C L A S S I C ... YEARS DOWN... THERE NEEDS TO BE A FEW CARS THAT STANDOUT FROM THE XF PRODUCTION GROUP TO PROMOTE AND CLAIM THAT IT HAS THE CAPACITY TO BE A CLASSIC...
I was reacting to the two pics of GTs that were totaled in crashes by inexperienced drivers. Those cars will never become a classic now they are twisted heaps in a junk yard. All because there novice owners did not gradually work up to using the Ford GT's 550 h.p. and testing its abilities at a track. Driving a car to the limit is not the issue. Being able to handle the big horsepower and not wreck the car (based on the thread's photos) is my point.

Gburg

Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gburg
I was reacting to the two pics of GTs that were totaled in crashes by inexperienced drivers. Those cars will never become a classic now they are twisted heaps in a junk yard. All because there novice owners did not gradually work up to using the Ford GT's 550 h.p. and testing its abilities at a track. Driving a car to the limit is not the issue. Being able to handle the big horsepower and not wreck the car (based on the thread's photos) is my point.

Gburg
Gburg....

gotcha... my bad...