Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

New Track Video

Old 06-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking New Track Video

Been out on the track again today.

Sorry but its the Bruntingthorpe track as usual (you'll know it as well as me soon!), but this time with a bunch of V8 Cobras.

Catching Cobras

Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Track Video

Great video -- and audio track too. Still love those parked planes...

Old 06-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Stuff!!! Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great video Simon, thank you for sharing... Those Cobra drivers must have been old grannies, or they were holding for you to shoot video of them... You know as well as I, that they could have blown away the Crossfire...

Old 06-26-2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Great video Simon, thank you for sharing... Those Cobra drivers must have been old grannies, or they were holding for you to shoot video of them... You know as well as I, that they could have blown away the Crossfire...
They were a nightmare! They were from a separate owners club group that were sharing the track with us. Just when you thought they were going to yield and let you through they'd suddenly cut back across in front of you. They were even braking at the 'elbow' (the section where I went past three of them at once) According to the instructor he hasn't found a car yet that won't got through there flat out - its 115-120 in the Crossfire. I can't really criticize them too much as most of them were novices and at least they actually got them out on the track. The LS2 powered ones could leave me for dead down the straight.
The other problem was that the marshals weren't giving them blue flags, on the assumption that they must be faster than a road car, although we had the same problem when we went out in the Retoga Prototype. The marshal at the end of the straight had it figured though, that's why I waved to him in the opening shot.
Despite the mobile Cobra chicanes, it was still a great day. Now I need some new rear tyres before I am back there in July. Should also have the brake ducts back on again by then too.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woody
... I can't really criticize them too much as most of them were novices and at least they actually got them out on the track.
My sentiments exactly. I'm one of those novices, only third time out on the track ever. But practice makes perfect... I hope...

I can't stand those who has these fancy sports cars (ie. Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc.) and drives them like a station wagon. I figure if they could afford to buy those things they could afford to pay expenses associated to racing or speeding tickets.

What a freaking waste! They're better off spending their money on a ***** enlargement at least I hope they'd use that thing to its full potential. hahaha

Old 06-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great video i really enjoy those outbraking moves.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, the joys of vicarious racing XF's ! Nice stuff Woody, gotta get you and Derek to do that double camera shot as seen in the BMW/Nurburgring video! By the way, how many track sessions can you get out of a set of tires?

Old 06-30-2006, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Ah, the joys of vicarious racing XF's ! Nice stuff Woody, gotta get you and Derek to do that double camera shot as seen in the BMW/Nurburgring video! By the way, how many track sessions can you get out of a set of tires?
Thanks Sennaspirit, that's a great idea for a video - a virtual, transatlantic Crossfire race series.

Tyre wear really depends on the circuit, tyres, setup and conditions. My rears have lasted for 5 trackdays and 15,000 miles (about shot now though), but I have changed the fronts twice over the same period. The wear rate is a lot less in the wet. I am conscious of looking after the tyres on the track though and tend to limit my sessions to let them cool down and recover. I think Derek goes through a set of tyres per event in competition.
That's the advantage of vicarious racing, your tyres last indefinitely.