Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Texas Mile!!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Texas Mile!!

After posting, I was thinking about it and realized that it only takes about an eighth mile to go from 0-80, and since I was able to reach 155 from 80 in just under a mile, I could see how you might be able to top out a stock srt6 in the mile.

Also, I took a closer look at that chart tom2112 posted and noticed how the resistance exponentially increases with speed, but really gets crazy above 175. That definitely makes me second guess how quickly my car would have hit "the wall", and I concede that 181 may not be achievable with a stock SRT6 (especially a roadster).

As far as supercharged vs. turbocharged and torque at a low rpm, it downshifted to 3rd gear when I punched it so it wasn't really low rpm, and the amount of time it took to do that downshift was about the same amount of time a turbo would need to spool, so I'm not sure your comparison is correct. Also, you need to take a ride in my 11 second Omni GLHS (turbo charged 4 cylinder if you're not familiar with them) and I'm guessing you may really change your mind about turbos and low rpm torque after I take you for a 70-120 mph 3/4 gear pull

Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I'm guessing you didn't get what i was saying.

Replace anywhere I said low RPM with low MPH. Sound better to you now. From a roll, turbo > supercharger. From a dig, supercharger > turbocharger...IMO.

I've personally seen a turbocharged car go 13s in the 1/4 mile, and then proceed to pull hard on a viper from a roll on the highway.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
I've personally seen a turbocharged car go 13s in the 1/4 mile, and then proceed to pull hard on a viper from a roll on the highway.
Well, I hate to say it, but if they ran 13's and then proceeded to pull on a viper, then they weren't driving it right at the track! I'm not saying this to be a jerk or anything, but I strongly believe that if your turbo is sized right, boost will come on quick and hard and turbo=SC from a dig.

My GLHS pulls 1.7x 60' times - not the quickest you'll see at the track, but it's enough where it has pulled on dozens of high torque big block and supercharged cars. A perfect example would be one race against a SC Mustang - I pulled him out of the hole and held him at bay all the way to about 100 feet from the finish line.

I'll definitely concede that boost is much harder to control with a turbo, and a SC wins out everytime if you are looking for consistent, controlled boost. So indeed, in most street grudges from a dig, feathering the throttle with an SC will still give you good power without roasting the tires off. Where as with a turbo, feathering the throttle to control wheel spin makes for a good chance you'll lose boost, or build too much so you have a chance of bogging or spinning.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyb
Well, I hate to say it, but if they ran 13's and then proceeded to pull on a viper, then they weren't driving it right at the track! I'm not saying this to be a jerk or anything, but I strongly believe that if your turbo is sized right, boost will come on quick and hard and turbo=SC from a dig.
He was driving it right, just so happens that the stock torque converter on the SRT6 doesn't stall high enough...13s 1/4mile at 125mph...

I'm done with this conversation, forgot even what this was about.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
He was driving it right, just so happens that the stock torque converter on the SRT6 doesn't stall high enough...13s 1/4mile at 125mph...

I'm done with this conversation, forgot even what this was about.
Wow man, sorry to upset you. I thought it was a conversation comparing experiences and doing a little bench racing, but didn't realize that you were taking offense to what I was typing. I guess I need to tone it down at times.

I know you said you were done, but I have to ask - do you have any pictures or links to this turbocharged SRT6? I would love to see it.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Wow man, sorry to upset you. I thought it was a conversation comparing experiences and doing a little bench racing, but didn't realize that you were taking offense to what I was typing. I guess I need to tone it down at times.

I know you said you were done, but I have to ask - do you have any pictures or links to this turbocharged SRT6? I would love to see it.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...es-400-hp.html

Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 PM

Haha, nah I'm not upset. Not a big fan of bench racing.

...I'd be more than happy to continue this conversation in another thread since this was original about the Texas Mile.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting old thread.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...d-srt-6-a.html

Old 09-25-2010, 02:12 PM

From my experience GPS-based Speed-Measuring or systems which are used on the mile events etc. are the only systems that deliver results that are accurate enough. The speedo which is very accurate in the lower band shows a good amount more (mine too) than the real GPS-Numbers at speeds around 180 MPH...

Last edited by SLK32Germany; 09-26-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:42 AM

Ha, Berube you trouble maker GLHS pssh, is that even a Chrysler ?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 AM

Uh-oh...you gonna make me take this thread off topic again...LOL!

Last edited by jonnyb; 09-30-2010 at 07:16 PM.