Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Jane is Racing At Putnam Park April 3, 2010

Old 03-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jane is Racing At Putnam Park April 3, 2010

Just thought I would let those of you interested know that I'll be at Putnam Park on Saturday, April 3rd. Bring your helmet if you plan to ride.

I'll be towing my car there, so that will be another new experience for me. I did tow it to Nashville and that went pretty well except when we scratched the car getting it on the trailer. After that, I bought a new Featherlite 17 foot car hauler, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I also bought Race Ramps to help me get the car on the hauler since my Crossfire is so low to the ground. And, I'll be using Macs Tie Down system. So, I'm getting my act together for this new year of racing.

The Crossfire did well at Nashville, until I felt the Left back bearings going bad. I just had the right changed, so took the car in to get the left side changed. My Crossfire mechanic was going to look at the fronts as well. I have that deluxe extended warranty which has really come in handy as I've not paid a dime for the bearings, except $100.00 deductible. I just bought another extended warranty for my daily driver. Must have for a car that's not in production any more.

I'm still training for Chump Car racing. Just bought a Ford Focus 5 speed and am finally learning how to drive a stick. Only had it three days; each day is a new experience and challenge. I do a lot of laughing at myself when I screw up. So, I now have 5 vehicles in my driveway. My insurance guy just laughs when I call, cause he can smell the money. Our Chump Car teams meets regularly. We practice getting in and out of the car/cage and driving the 1986 Nissan 300 ZX. Next we are suppose to practice changing a tire; I'll probably try to weasel my way out of that, although I know how to change a tire. I just don't like getting my hands dirty. LOL.

I'll blog more as I continue my racing journey this year.

Jane

Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Jane is Racing At Putnam Park April 3, 2010

Originally Posted by JaneBridges
Just thought I would let those of you interested know that I'll be at Putnam Park on Saturday, April 3rd. Bring your helmet if you plan to ride.

I'll be towing my car there, so that will be another new experience for me. I did tow it to Nashville and that went pretty well except when we scratched the car getting it on the trailer. After that, I bought a new Featherlite 17 foot car hauler, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I also bought Race Ramps to help me get the car on the hauler since my Crossfire is so low to the ground. And, I'll be using Macs Tie Down system. So, I'm getting my act together for this new year of racing.

The Crossfire did well at Nashville, until I felt the Left back bearings going bad. I just had the right changed, so took the car in to get the left side changed. My Crossfire mechanic was going to look at the fronts as well. I have that deluxe extended warranty which has really come in handy as I've not paid a dime for the bearings, except $100.00 deductible. I just bought another extended warranty for my daily driver. Must have for a car that's not in production any more.

I'm still training for Chump Car racing. Just bought a Ford Focus 5 speed and am finally learning how to drive a stick. Only had it three days; each day is a new experience and challenge. I do a lot of laughing at myself when I screw up. So, I now have 5 vehicles in my driveway. My insurance guy just laughs when I call, cause he can smell the money. Our Chump Car teams meets regularly. We practice getting in and out of the car/cage and driving the 1986 Nissan 300 ZX. Next we are suppose to practice changing a tire; I'll probably try to weasel my way out of that, although I know how to change a tire. I just don't like getting my hands dirty. LOL.

I'll blog more as I continue my racing journey this year.

Jane
Can we get video of you guys changing a tire? I'm sure you'll laugh along with us

Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Forum Regular

Nick:

I do change my tires on the Crossfire when I cord my tires. I'm not too bad at changing them. My favorite thing to do is torque my nuts. Remember, Nick, I torqued your nuts before you went out on the track.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My favorite thing to do is torque nuts. Remember, Nick, I torqued your nuts before you went out on the track.
1269466270417.gif

Could this be the start of another pizzaguy thread?!?

Good luck with the racing, Jane. I'm sure you'll represent us well.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Careful here guys, she's offered to torque a lot of people's nuts when they get too much out of...um...hand.

Seriously Jane, best of luck to you and let us know how you do!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Good Luck Jane, wear gloves when changing your tires to keep your hands clean. Grease under your nails wouldn't look good on Monday morning in your office!

Also, going from a Crossfire to a Focus must be like a nightmare! You can torque nuts, but can't handle a stick.....

I wish Putnam was closer. James

Old 03-27-2010, 12:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOOOOOOHHHHHH
MMMMMMMYYYYYY

I am now really unemployed.......can I pit for your team on a volunteer deal!!

As in when ya race close and I am not racing can I pitch in!!!

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS..................

Old 03-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Forum Regular

Riot: You sure can be pit crew, although the Crossfire is pretty easy. Better yet, bring your helmet and ride or bring your Crossfire and drive. Although, at Putnam, it would be in your cars best interest to have modified brakes and decent tires.
My biggest hurdle this next weekend will be getting it on and off the trailer. I will just need to take my time and play like Scarlett and ask for help spotting me when I'm loading and offloading. Also, I'm learning about Tie downs and rachets.
I'm always touched when other Crossfire owners shows up. It means a lot to the lonely girl in the Chrysler out on the track with all those Porsches.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riot: You sure can be pit crew, although the Crossfire is pretty easy. Better yet, bring your helmet and ride or bring your Crossfire and drive. Although, at Putnam, it would be in your cars best interest to have modified brakes and decent tires.
My biggest hurdle this next weekend will be getting it on and off the trailer. I will just need to take my time and play like Scarlett and ask for help spotting me when I'm loading and offloading. Also, I'm learning about Tie downs and rachets.
I'm always touched when other Crossfire owners shows up. It means a lot to the lonely girl in the Chrysler out on the track with all those Porsches.
jane i was a carhauler for over 14 yrs. heres a little tip.
put your left leg under your butt and lean as far out the window as you can. your leg will give you the leverage you need.
then sight the left front of the car on the ramps and ease the car on. if you line the car up first just at the edge of the ramps you shouldnt have to turn the wheel at all.
ratchet straping your car is all about angles. the front should be the opposite of the rear either in a V or an A angle. anywere from 30 to 45 * is fine.
if you get back to nashville call and ill show you all i can. its really not hard

Old 03-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the good advice, 32Krazy. So much to learn about getting that car on the hauler without trashing it.

I am hoping to drive the Crossfire again at Nashville. Just waiting for a good event. I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts

It's good to hear you are getting your hands arond a stick shift.
While you are gonna miss the OMG button, once you get the hang of it, the autostick is going to become boring.

Next time at the Dragon, you can drive my Crossie thru. Be my pleasure just to see the grinnnnnn when you come back.

franc

Old 03-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm studying Putnam Park on youtube so hopefully one day I can show up with a rental and have a go at it.

Loading and unloading a car is just a matter of going slow and being careful. You already learned what you have to watch out for. Most people I know have some lumber to help with low cars while unloading.

You need a GoPro camera for a pre easter present so we can have on car videos! Have a good trip and whup a Porsche or two just for the fun of it.

Les

Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

what time on the 3rd Jane....I can come down....might bring the coupe for you to see....but the roadster is more fun...I haven't put the goodies on the coupe yet...anyway...give me a time...and I will give you a hand...just leave my nuts alone....Doc....the last time a doc touched mine, I had to turn my head and cough....lol

Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks Franc for the offer.

Les, you are welcome anytime.

And Doc, the driver's meeting is at 8:00 AM, so I'm hoping to be on the track around 9:00. Bring your helmet. I think I might have a crew chief who is a NASCAR instructor that is going to work with me. That will be cool.

And, don't worry guys, the only nuts I'm torqueing will be my own. Have no fear, Doc.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Nick:

I do change my tires on the Crossfire when I cord my tires. I'm not too bad at changing them. My favorite thing to do is torque my nuts. Remember, Nick, I torqued your nuts before you went out on the track.
You crack me up

Old 04-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Jane, I have to work for awhile Sat morning...how long will you be there Sat?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Erzer
Careful here guys, she's offered to torque a lot of people's nuts when they get too much out of...um...hand.

Seriously Jane, best of luck to you and let us know how you do!
Yeah, you don't mess with Jane! Good luck to you Jane!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks, everyone. The car is on the trailer and secure. I just met my crew chief who is great and I think will be very helpful to me in understanding more racing concepts.
I'm concerned about the weather and hope I get some dry pavement.
Doc: I'll be there all day, unless we get rained out. I will PM my cell phone to you to call if you have some concerns.

Jane