Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Advise on strange noise

Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advise on strange noise

I need some expert advise- I went out and installed my silver-star headlights today and when I turned the ignition on (without starting the car) I could hear this strange noise inside the car. I tracked down the source of the noise and it was coming from the black box next to the battery. I popped the cover off the box and it appears to have two computer modules in it. The noise sounds like a small fan with bad bearings/bushings in it and after it ran for about 2 minutes it became the sound of a normal small cooling fan. I let the car sit for about 1/2 hour and turned the ignition back on and could not hear it. My car has been in storage all winter and this was the first time I turned the ignition on in months. I'm going to the dragon run in a few weeks and would like to know if this is anything to be concerned with.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Advise on strange noise

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
I need some expert advise- I went out and installed my silver-star headlights today and when I turned the ignition on (without starting the car) I could hear this strange noise inside the car. I tracked down the source of the noise and it was coming from the black box next to the battery. I popped the cover off the box and it appears to have two computer modules in it. The noise sounds like a small fan with bad bearings/bushings in it and after it ran for about 2 minutes it became the sound of a normal small cooling fan. I let the car sit for about 1/2 hour and turned the ignition back on and could not hear it. My car has been in storage all winter and this was the first time I turned the ignition on in months. I'm going to the dragon run in a few weeks and would like to know if this is anything to be concerned with.
I noticed the same thing on mine.
There is a fan that cools the ECU box on the passenger side

Noise before the engine start .

Noise in or under the ECU

Last edited by Valk; 03-12-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks Gary that is what it is. From he post I read it must be a normal sound on cold start up.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM

by the way if anyones interested, I changed the fog lights and all the headlights but one in about 1/2 hour. The one I didn't change was the passenger high beam (sits in front of the coolant tank). That one is going to be very hard to change. There is no room to get your hand / tool inside to pull the clip or bulb out. I tried removing the coolant tank with no luck. I removed the two nuts on the top but it would not lift off. I looked under it and it has a support that it fits into. I could not see or feel anything else holding it so I gave up.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Thanks Gary that is what it is. From he post I read it must be a normal sound on cold start up.
It kicks on and off randomly cold or warm engine. Whenever the key is on it may kick on even when driving around. It's normal.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Changed the bulbs. I did take a peek in the for light and you could knock the cap off if you wanted the new style if your car was still under warranty

Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Advise on strange noise

by the way if anyones interested, I changed the fog lights and all the headlights but one in about 1/2 hour. The one I didn't change was the passenger high beam (sits in front of the coolant tank). That one is going to be very hard to change. There is no room to get your hand / tool inside to pull the clip or bulb out. I tried removing the coolant tank with no luck. I removed the two nuts on the top but it would not lift off. I looked under it and it has a support that it fits into. I could not see or feel anything else holding it so I gave up.
I've removed the coolant tank, it just takes a bit of muscle. The poly "tab" fits through a rubber grommet and is kind of barbed (bigger on the end).

Remove the 2 nuts, remove (very important step!) the electrical connector from the bottom of the tank, take a deep breath and pull straight up with allota' force. It will ease out suddenly. kinda' like the shift ****!

I put a layer of o-ring lube on it when I re-installed to make it easier next time.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the advise I thought it might but a tugged pretty good with no luck and did not want to break it if it was fastened. I'll try it again tomorrow.