Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

just think out loud about boosting n/a xfire

Old 05-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just think out loud about boosting n/a xfire

really just a quick question. with all the talk about a/f ratios and how limited they are, i was wondering about boosting. specifically with sts remote turbos. i know the srt guys are putting alot of boost in their cars and are suppling the fuel they need. are the computers the same between the two modles? are the only differences the injector sizes and programing? lastly, if one did decide to venture into this if the answer is yes to the above questions, could someone simply look into using an srt6 ecu flash and their injectors as a starting point on this modification?

looking at sts's site, it appears most of thier customers have vehicals that are easily programed and from what i've seen, our cars don't seem to have that option of custom tuning on the spot on a dyno.

i'm wondering how hard it would be to contact them via email and view their thoughts, and cost of a system.

Last edited by tashspop; 05-12-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: just think out loud about boosting n/a xfire

no responce yet?

even if i'm looking at this wrong, please chime in. maybe tuning the ecu is an option that im unaware of.

side note, i contacted a dealer that has a 2005 srt6 graphite metalic that i could possibly do a trade of my car for. i'm looking into the power adders because if its feasible, i'd prefer to just keep my 6speed limited that i've already started working on with the paint job. also, i bought new so i know my cars condition and history which give a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

should i just not worry about gathering information on this and consult sts and allow them to do all the searching for me?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 AM

I have also sent an email request to sts for some information and see their opinion on the subject. For price, they are by far the most reasonable that I have found. I could swear that I saw a picture of somebody's crossfire with a turbo under the back side of it. My only worry really, is ground clearance. Let me know if they get you any info, as I am still waiting a few days later.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Forum Regular

Well, you said you were thinking out loud - which indicates you don't really require a response.
Do a search on Turbo's - it pops up every 3 or 4 months.
Yes, there is a Crossfire with a turbo - right where the back axle is.
Think of the lag!
Yes, ground clearance is reduced.
Let us know how you go on.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Use the "search" function of the forum.

This has been discussed to death. Everyone says they are going to do it, then we never hear from them again.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by apkano
Everyone says they are going to do it, then we never hear from them again.
They sold all their internets to afford a proper tune and some dyno time.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Forum Regular

think of the lag? no actually look into how those sts turbo systems work there is really no lag at all, and it is cooler air flowing. they are a good system i have seen them on different vettes and such where i live, they make good power and a nice sound and no don't be worried about the lag for one i have ridden in a car with this turbo kit and im telling you there is no lag, also ground clearance yes that is the only concern i would have, but when done right and put in the right spot it will be fine, but for the crossfire good luck getting a tuning solution so it really doesn't matter.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
but for the crossfire good luck getting a tuning solution so it really doesn't matter.
Why does one need luck to tune the Crossfire?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular

yeah, no worries about lag. kind of like saying srt6 has no mid range because its supercharged. i'm sure alot will say otherwise.

anyway, i'm really hoping my question doesnt' offend anybody and break out the endless cycle of doubt. i am not saying i will do this, but i will search and study the possibility, especially if sts says they can work with me.

i have searched the forum on this subject and found one suggestion of using srt6 ecu tune. one suggestion on another thread doesn't confirm anything for me. if there's more, i must have missed it weeding thru all the negativity towards any thread like this. i don't know enough about these setups to look at options without using a forum for information and answers to my questions.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tashspop
i am not saying i will do this, but i will search and study the possibility, especially if sts says they can work with me.
If you work with STS... please put the turbo in the stock muffler location.
That side rocker mounted crap I saw a while back is a joke on a car this low.

I worked out a low boost remote mount turbo kit a while back. As I was under the impression nobody had figured the ECU out I designed it with only piggyback solutions and no tune.

See: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=22130

Now that I am aware of the ability to scale injector duty cycle in the stock PCM things may get easier... although I'd argue the stock PCM still has no input for a boost sensor and won't allow for dynamic timing retard or duty cycle scaling in cases of positive intake pressure.

If anybody wants to throw 5 grand my way I can start on a prototype.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Forum Regular

yeah, i saved that pic of the turbo as my wallpaper for motivation. i agree, needs to be in the stock muffler location. doesn't sts say that there's no need for a mufler with their turbo as it acts like one? i would love to know how that sounded.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Forum Regular

I moved my stock muffler anyway. I have a magnaflow 6" round glasspack next to the rear diff. Plenty of room for a turbo back there.

The best would be gutting and cutting the top off the stock muffler and using the 1/2 shell as a guard for the turbo. You could keep a bone stock look from the rear (tips and all),

Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Opticon
If anybody wants to throw 5 grand my way I can start on a prototype.
to quote George Soros, "Having money does expand certain opportunities".

Not having money, one often resorts to making claims!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Forum Regular

trying to throw boost at a na seems like a lost cause everyone talks about it along with me, but it seems it just can't happen properly yet, if anyone has the right info. to do so i def. have my ears open. I have gone to numerous places saying yeah we can fab a turbo up no problem, then they are like yeah then dyno tune it, and right there im like well you have no idea then because the 6 spd, can't really be dynoed, i would not install a turbo and tune it with the fuses out because you only get a 5k rev limit, and i would not trust that. Its a sketchy situation that hasn't really been discovered yet is all im saying, and to those that said there is a turbo crossfire, where? and where is this person now, how was this done?? the turbo part is not hard by any means, you could put twins if you wanted right under the hood thats not the problem it si getting it to run right and getting your boost cycle and injector cycle all right and timing and just many things that i do not see anything to tune this with yet. Like i said if there is please do let me know

Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Forum Regular

i completely agree with you tyler, except not everyone i limited to a 5k rpm on a dyno. i can pull full rpm on my 2006.

something that occured to me. tvt has messed with programming and crossed over into too rich i believe while tuning in larger injectors. with this info, and i know there is a tune for nos setups. i have to wonder if that tune could be used with larger injectors for a turbo setup?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

search for my thread on "vortec Install" all questions will be answered in the first posting

Old 05-13-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
search for my thread on "vortec Install" all questions will be answered in the first posting
"vortec install" wasn't the original post title, heehee....

Old 05-13-2008, 02:15 PM

yeah I forget what it was origionally

Old 05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Forum Regular

what are you saying about a tune for nitrous, i am waiting for my needswings intake to be fixed since it threw my engine light but i have a zex 75 shot waiting to go on soon as that headache is finished, it would be on already but i guess i am gonna have to send my intake back so i am waiting to mount the nozzle basically. i am looking for a tune for my car to have more power off the bottle but still be compatible with nitrous not like the basic tunes and chips. the best thing would be to have something to switch from two settings 1 being more power off the bottle for everyday driving and 2 for using the bottle, but everyplace says too high of a liability because if the setting didn't change then detonation could occur.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:51 PM

inmotion hass the Nitrous tune.

Quick Reply: just think out loud about boosting n/a xfire