Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Coolant level light came on briefly yesterday...

Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant level light came on briefly yesterday...

...And I'm not sure why.

I had been driving the car for maybe 8 minutes, after it had been sitting for maybe an hour. Came on right after I accelerated after being stopped for a few minutes. The temperature gauge didn't budge at all, nor did the car seem to run any differently.

I checked the overflow tank when I arrived back home - letting it sit for a couple hours, and it appears to be 'full enough' to me.

Searched the forums a bit, but didn't find much in the way of concrete troubleshooting steps. Thermostat? Relay? Battery? Those all don't seem like they'd be throwing the 'coolant low' light, do they?

Tried letting the car run for a while in the garage (with the garage door open, mind you) and letting it warm up to the median temperature, but the light didn't come back on.

Oh, and I don't see any fluids leaking anywhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Coolant level light came on briefly yesterday...

Mine comes on once in a blue moon, quite often when I'm accelerating and going round a corner - same road whenever it blinks on - I always check the level and it's OK. Seeing as though yours came on as you accelerated maybe the sensor is at the front of the coolant area. If the level is OK I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've removed the overflow tank a couple of times and on a couple of cars (mine included) the connector and wires were stretched pretty darned tight from the bundle thet come out of. Maybe it's just a poor connection? Mine was pulled crooked the first time I saw it.

Just a thought...

Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies..

The light didn't come on today, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Pretty sure the connector is secure, although I haven't checked for sure yet.

Seeing any light on the display freaks me out, though .

Old 09-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi !

How do you disconnect the cooling tank level sensor ?
I could try something, but don't want to break it.

Thanks,
George

Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Well, first of all - why do you want to disconnect it?

I've never had the tank out nor have I had a problem with the sensor. I can look (when I get motivated enough to go to my garage) but I'm sure the connector has a little locking tab on it like all the rest do - you pull the tab up and pull the connector apart at the same time - and it unplugs. I'm not just sure how easy it is to get to unless you yank the tank out.

Is your coolant light coming on at times ? Keep in mind that the light is NOT a "low coolant" light. It is a general cooling system alarm light, low coolant is ONE thing that can cause it to come on, there are several others:
  • Coolant too hot (the temp gauge should show this)
  • Engine cooling fan motor defective (too high or too low current)
  • Engine Fan Control Module problem
  • Probably other things I have not discovered so far

Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2005 Crossfire with these problems back in October 2018 , The cooling fan doesn't work I looked at fuses the found one on left side of shock towner it was a 50 amp fuse which was blown, it didn't help so I by passed the fan and it works, I took the control box off took it apart had to pry it open silicone shut. it didn't look fried, no burned circuits, I did notice when I bought car someone took what looked like a amp fuse and wire along the fire wall attached to wire at fan box harness to battery I noticed it was just tapped up on battery side so the previous owner must have mucked up the wiring near fan box . so I replaced the 50 amp fuse in factory box. it was a difficult fuse to find. most auto parts store don't carry these, found only one auto store Fisher auto parts here in my town Aberdeen Maryland. The AC pump does not cycle so its also dead. the heater works great.. so the car does not over heat which is weird but it still cold here and it is not driven just idling because I gotta get these things fixed before it will pass inspection. also noticed the radiator light is on and also the light monitor is on and all the lights work. . this car runs great but with all the stuff I read on the forums I wonder if I bought a money pit.. I always wanted one of these and got it cheap $1700 with 146,000. its in pretty good shape for its age. it belonged to an older black Lady who smoked wish she had not smoked trying to get that smell out. its also a 6 speed runs great . I need some help if anyone knows about these issues. this is my first Chrysler and Mercedes LOLOL Im soon to be 60 and always wanted one of these since they came out but couldn't afford it then but maybe its still gonna cost me with all these problems . it was once a loved car now Im wanting to love it again. is there anyone in Maryland who knows about these cars, thanks

Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Good luck
Originally Posted by manlaw38
I bought my 2005 Crossfire with these problems back in October 2018 , The cooling fan doesn't work I looked at fuses the found one on left side of shock towner it was a 50 amp fuse which was blown, it didn't help so I by passed the fan and it works, I took the control box off took it apart had to pry it open silicone shut. it didn't look fried, no burned circuits, I did notice when I bought car someone took what looked like a amp fuse and wire along the fire wall attached to wire at fan box harness to battery I noticed it was just tapped up on battery side so the previous owner must have mucked up the wiring near fan box . so I replaced the 50 amp fuse in factory box. it was a difficult fuse to find. most auto parts store don't carry these, found only one auto store Fisher auto parts here in my town Aberdeen Maryland. The AC pump does not cycle so its also dead. the heater works great.. so the car does not over heat which is weird but it still cold here and it is not driven just idling because I gotta get these things fixed before it will pass inspection. also noticed the radiator light is on and also the light monitor is on and all the lights work. . this car runs great but with all the stuff I read on the forums I wonder if I bought a money pit.. I always wanted one of these and got it cheap $1700 with 146,000. its in pretty good shape for its age. it belonged to an older black Lady who smoked wish she had not smoked trying to get that smell out. its also a 6 speed runs great . I need some help if anyone knows about these issues. this is my first Chrysler and Mercedes LOLOL Im soon to be 60 and always wanted one of these since they came out but couldn't afford it then but maybe its still gonna cost me with all these problems . it was once a loved car now Im wanting to love it again. is there anyone in Maryland who knows about these cars, thanks
I think you should start your own thread so the answers are specifically for you. Briefly and concisely list your problems,that means omit smoking, older lady, where you got the fuse etc. A bullet style list of problems is easier to answer than a long explanation.
It sounds like you got a good deal at that price, is it a roadster, coupe, SRT?
List your problems like this, you can see the bullet option at the top right of the answer page or quick reply option, halfway between the smiley and Source.
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxccc
  • vvvvvvvvvvb
Good luck.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-05-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Good luck
I think you should start your own thread so the answers are specifically for you. Briefly and concisely list your problems,that means omit smoking, older lady, where you got the fuse etc. A bullet style list of problems is easier to answer than a long explanation.
It sounds like you got a good deal at that price, is it a roadster, coupe, SRT?
List your problems like this, you can see the bullet option at the top right of the answer page.
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxccc
  • vvvvvvvvvvb
Good luck.
Agreed. Tagging another person's thread when you have THIS much to discuss is not productive - you need attention separate from other cars. z

For $1700, I'm sure there were issues with the car before you got it -and someone gave up on it. That does NOT mean its not worth putting effort into - at that price, you have very little invested.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Agreed. Tagging another person's thread when you have THIS much to discuss is not productive - you need attention separate from other cars. z

For $1700, I'm sure there were issues with the car before you got it -and someone gave up on it. That does NOT mean its not worth putting effort into - at that price, you have very little invested.
The car can easily exceed that price when it is stripped and sold for spares, maybe $5,000 with little effort.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a maroon coupe . Sorry to have taken up space on anyones thread and since I am older and not computer literate I didn't know how to start my own thread . there is so much stuff on these pages and I didn't see any button which says make your own thread. I just went to bottom of your page to make a comment. Remember not everyone has had computers since they were born. Im still learning at age 60 I would been happy with an easy big red button on left side of page thats says start your own thread. I would have and since I wanted to give a back story to this car . I wanted let others know that this was an unloved car and now loved again. Sorry to have bothered anyone. I was hoping to get more of a friendly response to my issues not judgement of how I commented on your thread . But guess I will have to go it on my own . Thanks for the advice on how (( not )) to comment on others original thread . I will study this original sign in page .. I do see in big letters LOG OUT !! but no big Button with make a thread. See Im trying to continue my learning even at age 60 . Wish I had a younger person to show me how to work this forum and perhaps show me how to fix the Fan and A/C . But guess I will have to learn how to fix this cooling and A/C myself. again thanks for the feed back on my forum Etiquette . Ok Guys and Gals Keep wrenching on these rare beauties Im happy I finally found one at my price range .

Old 02-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Its a maroon coupe . Sorry to have taken up space on anyones thread and since I am older and not computer literate I didn't know how to start my own thread . there is so much stuff on these pages and I didn't see any button which says make your own thread. I just went to bottom of your page to make a comment. Remember not everyone has had computers since they were born. Im still learning at age 60 I would been happy with an easy big red button on left side of page thats says start your own thread. I would have and since I wanted to give a back story to this car . I wanted let others know that this was an unloved car and now loved again. Sorry to have bothered anyone. I was hoping to get more of a friendly response to my issues not judgement of how I commented on your thread . But guess I will have to go it on my own . Thanks for the advice on how (( not )) to comment on others original thread . I will study this original sign in page .. I do see in big letters LOG OUT !! but no big Button with make a thread. See Im trying to continue my learning even at age 60 . Wish I had a younger person to show me how to work this forum and perhaps show me how to fix the Fan and A/C . But guess I will have to learn how to fix this cooling and A/C myself. again thanks for the feed back on my forum Etiquette . Ok Guys and Gals Keep wrenching on these rare beauties Im happy I finally found one at my price range .
No problem, a new thread made by you will hopefully keep all the relevant comments in one thread.
From the Home Page select the appropriate forum , say All Crossfires, to add your new thread, near the top of the new page you will see the pages on the right and on the extreme left you will see ‘+ New Thread’ click on it and there is the blank page for you to start your thread.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-12-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:06 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

A great solution option to removing smoke smell from the interior of a car is an ozone generator. You absolutely should still clean all of the interior surfaces first before using the ozone generator. You can purchase them off of Amazon or ebay. There are many youtube videos on how to use them. Below is a couple link examples. Do not breath in the ozone as it is harmful! After using it open the doors and let the car air out. Do not run the ozone generator for longer than 30 - 60 minutes as it will harm rubber in the car. I heard of others having bad experiences using them. I have one and I'm happy with how it works. It's an option to consider if you are still dealing with the smoke smell.