Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Help!

Old 03-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help!

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I forgot to add that you should specify that all replaced parts should be kept and shown to you. Knew a guy that had the car at home prior to the repair appointment and he marked and photographed them. Guess what? Some of the replaced parts he was shown later did not have the marks on them, they were still on the car. They did appear on the bill though.
Jeesh, that's horrible. Excellent advice. Thank you!

Old 03-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by asusundevils23
Again, forgive my ignorance.

If the lid lock in question is related to the storage compartment integrated as part of the center console, I am confused why there is a "yellow hose." When I access it, there is what feels like a lever. I simply pull up on it and the compartment's lid opens. And when it closes I hear a click sound indicating it's latched closed. I don't understand what purpose a hose would serve.
The yellow hose is the airline that runs from the lock back to the pump - it is to operate the pneumatic lock.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:02 PM

Ok, I've looked at a good 100 Google pics of the center console of my 2006 Crossfire Roadster and I am struggling at finding this "lid lock" which apparently requires a vacuum line. Can someone post a pic of it for me? As noted, the mechanic referred to it as a "vacuum lock" and stated I needed to purchase one in addition to the shifter assembly.

Sorry but I'm new to all of this and want to make sure I show up on Monday with everything he needs.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Snapped a picture of under there as I was putting in my cubby and couldn't figure out how the hell to get it loose..

Old 03-17-2018, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata

Snapped a picture of under there as I was putting in my cubby and couldn't figure out how the hell to get it loose..
Wow, Mr.Miata, thank you so very much!. There wouldn't happen to be a part# on that cord, is there? I need to order one.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:37 AM

180 noted in another thread 5mm OD x 3mm ID.. he replaced the trunk latch tubing at a known weak spot on the coupes..

https://www.grainger.com/category/po...ecatalog/N-qxa

Old 03-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

180 noted in another thread 5mm OD x 3mm ID.. he replaced the trunk latch tubing at a known weak spot on the coupes..

https://www.grainger.com/category/po...ecatalog/N-qxa
Polyurethane tube, it is flexible.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Regarding that "vacuum lock" I'm being told to purchase (in addition to the shift assembly.) I'm beginning to suspect that during the removal of the console, the mechanic damaged it. Am I in my reasonable right to tell him he's responsible for replacing it? Prior to removing the console he called and asked my permission and mentioned a $125.00 fee for labor, which I agreed to pay. Later when I told him I would look online to purchase a used shift assembly for cheaper than the new $3000.00 he quoted me, he asked me to make sure I purchased that "lock vacuum." Every lock was working when I dropped my vehicle off. Isn't he responsible for that damage?

Old 03-17-2018, 03:23 PM

Regarding that "vacuum lock" I'm being told to purchase (in addition to the shift assembly.) I'm beginning to suspect that during the removal of the console, the mechanic damaged it. Am I in my reasonable right to tell him he's responsible for replacing it? Prior to removing the console he called and asked my permission and mentioned a $125.00 fee for labor, which I agreed to pay. Later when I told him I would look online to purchase a used shift assembly for cheaper than the new $3000.00 he quoted me, he asked me to make sure I purchased that "lock vacuum." Every lock was working when I dropped my vehicle off. Isn't he responsible for that damage?
If he actually "removed" the console .. yeah he broke it.. it is "strapped" near the bulk head and even taking it loose there did not give me room to shift it around enough to see anything under there.. removed the broke cup holder by "feel" and having the one from my coupe to map just where the screws were. I'm going to guess he actually broke the nipple and not the tubing.. Picture of attachment near bulk head ...

I was actually hearing a vacuum leak in my console before the bin swap.. lock still worked .. while there I pushed the nipple end tighter into the "socket" just for grins.. and now have no "hissing" from it.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

issue...starting...earlier? dashboard lights...speedometer...berserk...lost power...Proper diagnosis? Codes? Is this an independent shop specializing in M/B & other German cars? Reputation/references?
Please forgive me, I only have questions. Sharp people here, they may go back to square one and help guide you in the right direction. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:54 PM

If he actually "removed" the console .. yeah he broke it.. it is "strapped" near the bulk head and even taking it loose there did not give me room to shift it around enough to see anything under there.. removed the broke cup holder by "feel" and having the one from my coupe to map just where the screws were. I'm going to guess he actually broke the nipple and not the tubing.. Picture of attachment near bulk head ...

I was actually hearing a vacuum leak in my console before the bin swap.. lock still worked .. while there I pushed the nipple end tighter into the "socket" just for grins.. and now have no "hissing" from it.

Yikes. Where can I buy that nipple? I'm guessing you are spot on with respect to what the mechanic broke.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by lovecross
issue...starting...earlier? dashboard lights...speedometer...berserk...lost power...Proper diagnosis? Codes? Is this an independent shop specializing in M/B & other German cars? Reputation/references?
Please forgive me, I only have questions. Sharp people here, they may go back to square one and help guide you in the right direction. Good luck.
here is the shop. Highly rates, for what it's worth:

Www.salemboysauto.com

Old 03-17-2018, 04:15 PM

Yikes. Where can I buy that nipple? I'm guessing you are spot on with respect to what the mechanic broke.
Well I didn't break mine .. "thought" about cut the line and splice back (nobody says how they managed on the forum for the bin and roadsters) .. but fought through feeling my way.

So having not searched one out I don't have much of a clue on where to source one. I would personally find out exactly what they broke.. as it might even have been the actual connecting end on the lock assy. itself.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:00 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

Good luck on this one.

I have two go to positions for a situation like this. (They’re both very similar)
1) Experience is what you get when you don’t get want you want.
2) Experience is a great education. Too bad it costs so much.

Chalk it up as a life lesson (we’ve all been there). Try to minimize your losses and get to another shop.

It could have been worse.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

here is the shop. Highly rates, for what it's worth:

Salem Boys Auto
It is not vital that you get the vacuum lock now. Just plug the open end of the hose to the pump and just fix the transmission for now.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:17 PM

Also did I read that right? "Additional" $125 to pull the parking brake handle cover.. remove two screws and 2 nuts?

Old 03-18-2018, 06:05 PM

Also did I read that right? "Additional" $125 to pull the parking brake handle cover.. remove two screws and 2 nuts?
Yep, you read correctly. He called me in advance and quoted me that price before doing the work. I have never removed the middle console so assumed it involved a lot of labor. It is fair to say that this place is ripping me off.

When I visit them tomorrow morning to drop off the shifter assembly, should I give them a piece of my mind, ask to see the work they've done thus far and the balance, or stay calm and hope they don't muck up my car even more?

Old 03-18-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It is not vital that you get the vacuum lock now. Just plug the open end of the hose to the pump and just fix the transmission for now.
Which lock is impacted? When I think of the automatic locks in my Crossfire, there are only door locks that come to mind. Someone said it is for the "lid lock" but I can't visualize which lock that is.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

2 door locks, trunk/decklid lock, fuel filler lock ( lid lock ? ) and on roadsters console lid lock.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:26 PM

I was just told that my car should be ready for pickup later today. Evidently, reprogramming my vehicle using the Crossfire's software is time-consuming. Is there really programming associated with replacing the shift assembly? My concern is them trying to charge me for every hour involved in said programming. Theoretically, they can claim it took 8-10 hours and I have no way of verifying it.

Quick Reply: Help!