Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Key fob stopped working

Old 02-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Key fob stopped working

Hello, I am having a problem with my key fob not working. I have been driving my Crossfire for about 20k with no problems. I then drove it today and parked it. About three hours later I went out to drive away and the remote wouldn't work. I replaced the batteries in the remote, but that didn't seem to help. The remote won't shut the alarm off or open the door. I can manually open the door, but the alarm sounds. The interior door lock switch will close the door locks, but not open them. I tried to press the remote button twice and then turn the ignition to the on/run position, but that didn' work. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: Key fob stopped working

I use one of
<i> these</i> these

Old 02-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Thank you I will check this out. I have a second key and a spare screem module. Just hope it isn't water in the trunk.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Update: A person who once owned a Crossfire said I should disconnect the battery, and then reconnect it. I did that and the problem at first seemed like it was still there. But when I pushed the remote it worked again like nothing was wrong. Working fine now, but i am not sure why i had to disconnect the battery and wait a minute to fix it. Still wondering if I might have water.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up putting in a new car battery. No problems since.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by John&Terry
Hello, I am having a problem with my key fob not working. I have been driving my Crossfire for about 20k with no problems. I then drove it today and parked it. About three hours later I went out to drive away and the remote wouldn't work. I replaced the batteries in the remote, but that didn't seem to help. The remote won't shut the alarm off or open the door. I can manually open the door, but the alarm sounds. The interior door lock switch will close the door locks, but not open them. I tried to press the remote button twice and then turn the ignition to the on/run position, but that didn' work. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
Do the lights flash when you operate the fob lock and unlock buttons?
The trunk pump is in charge of a lot of things and water is an expensive enemy of it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-07-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:25 PM

Thank you. It is about time for a new battery.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Do the lights flash when you operate the fob lock and unlock buttons?
No, they never flashed. Nothing seemed to happen at all. No pump sounds, and the alarm indicator lamp kept flashing as though he car was still locked. When I opened the door, the alarm went off. The lock switch in the vehicle would lock the doors, but not unlock them. Ignition switch would turn on instrument cluster, but not start motor.

A guy in an office across the street got tired of hearing the alarm and came out. He said his wife used to own a Crossfire. He suggested I disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Think I read that on this forum also. I did that and the key fob worked fine again. Lights flashed doors opened and alarm turned off. Like nothing was ever wrong.

Do you think I could have developed a water problem?

Old 02-07-2019, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by John&Terry
No, they never flashed. Nothing seemed to happen at all. No pump sounds, and the alarm indicator lamp kept flashing as though he car was still locked. When I opened the door, the alarm went off. The lock switch in the vehicle would lock the doors, but not unlock them. Ignition switch would turn on instrument cluster, but not start motor.

A guy in an office across the street got tired of hearing the alarm and came out. He said his wife used to own a Crossfire. He suggested I disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Think I read that on this forum also. I did that and the key fob worked fine again. Lights flashed doors opened and alarm turned off. Like nothing was ever wrong.

Do you think I could have developed a water problem?
Keep your fingers crossed and hope. You could look for moisture down by the pump.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:22 AM

Keep your fingers crossed and hope. You could look for moisture down by the pump.
I will both hope for the best, and verify the worst hasn't occurred. Thank you for your advise.

Last edited by John&Terry; 02-08-2019 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Add to response.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Make sure you dig in there and see if there is any water in the cavities and pits in the trunk and wheel wells. If you find no water, we can almost assume this is yet another electrical glitch that you may never see again.
The top can do similar stuff, where a re-sync or battery disconnect clears it. In these cases, most people run to a dealer and spend $$$$, when it really is not necessary.

If you find water, it is a totally other story, but it is important to GET IN THERE and LOOK, because if there is water in there, then more water is gonna get in there and things are gonna get worse; if there is water, you've got to STOP it from getting in.

Tearing the trim out is NOT a hard thing to do, the plastic rivets are easy to yank out of you know how (large dikes or the tool the auto parts store sells makes it easy).

Old 02-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Make sure you dig in there and see if there is any water in the cavities and pits in the trunk and wheel wells. If you find no water, we can almost assume this is yet another electrical glitch that you may never see again.
The top can do similar stuff, where a re-sync or battery disconnect clears it. In these cases, most people run to a dealer and spend $$$$, when it really is not necessary.

If you find water, it is a totally other story, but it is important to GET IN THERE and LOOK, because if there is water in there, then more water is gonna get in there and things are gonna get worse; if there is water, you've got to STOP it from getting in.

Tearing the trim out is NOT a hard thing to do, the plastic rivets are easy to yank out of you know how (large dikes or the tool the auto parts store sells makes it easy).
Sliding a strip of thin cardboard or stiff paper down the edge of the foam at the forward edge works well and takes no effort, removing the foam in the coupe means removing the roof panels and putting them back is not fun at all.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Thank you for this advise. I am going to follow it.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:31 PM

Sliding a strip of thin cardboard or stiff paper down the edge of the foam at the forward edge works well and takes no effort, removing the foam in the coupe means removing the roof panels and putting them back is not fun at all.
Thank you. I will try this as a quick check. Also, I will have to remove the roof panels anyway, if the pump assembly needs to be replaced. So I would rather do it before that happens. I appreciate everyone's advise.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Owning a Roadster is SO much easier. I can peek down in my wheel wells by raising the deck lid and LOOKING in there.
And, I never need to fix my headliner........

Old 02-08-2019, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by maggy55
I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up putting in a new car battery. No problems since.
Thank you. It is about time for a new battery.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 PM

This is great advise! Thank you.