Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Please Help Me! A Girl That Should Have Taken Mechanics In School!

Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me! A Girl That Should Have Taken Mechanics In School!

Hi, I have a 2004, i took it to chrysler re: abs light on, Chrysler THOUGHT it was a wiring problem (because there were more than the abs lights on, (gas, windshield wiper fluid low), proceeded to pull all the wiring. I guess looking for a short. Well in the process they blew out my computer module ( so they say), now it is in limp home mode. My car has been sitting for over 1 month now. I have heard so many scenarios that i'm not sure what to believe and am afraid to let just any mechanic work on it. Does this sound right to you and do you know where or who i can go to that i can somewhat trust??? Or where to get a computer module? I live in Los Angeles area.
A year ago i took it in to EZLUBE (may they rot in h---), for a simple oil change (my bad), and they told me my differential needed lubed. Well in the process i guess they forgot to put the oil back in differential and it completely locked up on the fwy. They replaced the differential but it has never been the same since. One of my questions is: Do you think that the differential would have caused the abs lights to go on?
If this sounds confusing to you imagine how i feel. Just a girl who should have taken mechanics in school! Please help if you have any info at all. I'm desperate for some answers.

Last edited by spinney; 11-14-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Default Re: Please Help Me! A Girl That Should Have Taken Mechanics In School!

Originally Posted by spinney
Hi, I have a 2004, i took it to chrysler re: abs light on, Chrysler THOUGHT it was a wiring problem (because there were more than the abs lights on, (gas, windshield wiper fluid low), proceeded to pull all the wiring. I guess looking for a short. Well in the process they blew out my computer module ( so they say), now it is in limp home mode. My car has been sitting for over 1 month now. I have heard so many scenarios that i'm not sure what to believe and am afraid to let just any mechanic work on it. Does this sound right to you and do you know where or who i can go to that i can somewhat trust??? Or where to get a computer module? I live in Los Angeles area.
A year ago i took it in to EZLUBE (may they rot in h---), for a simple oil change (my bad), and they told me my differential needed lubed. Well in the process i guess they forgot to put the oil back in differential and it completely locked up on the fwy. They replaced the differential but it has never been the same since. One of my questions is: Do you think that the differential would have caused the abs lights to go on?
If this sounds confusing to you imagine how i feel. Just a girl who should have taken mechanics in school! Please help if you have any info at all. I'm desperate for some answers.
help...!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Forum Regular

How soon after the differential problem did the ABS light come on? I don't see anything related to the differential seizing that would cause the light to come on, but it's possible that whoever replaced the differential could have screwed up some of the wiring which could cause the light to come on.

However, that shouldn't cause the low fuel or low washer fluid lights to come on. Assuming that the dealer was smart enough to verify that the fluids weren't low, then a short in the instrument panel wiring could be a likely cause. If they fried your computer while attempting a repair, then they should be responsible for locating and installing a replacement.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Forum Regular

Has the dealer given you an update? Have they installed the new computer and reinstalled the wiring??

Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM

No i couldn't afford the computer module yet, its $2,000, so i have to hold off. First they have to fix the module just to find out why the abs lights are all on, so thats another problem. I love this car and it seems every dealership or mechanic makes it worse. When i brought it into Chrysler - Alhambra, it would only go into first gear (its an automatic), yet when returned it will only go in limp home mode, which is second. Thanks for responding so quickly. Any advice?

Old 11-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Forum Regular
Angry Re: Please Help Me! A Girl That Should Have Taken Mechanics In School!

The dealership fried your computer and they want YOU to PAY for a new computer ? That's nuts. You need to talk to the general manger of the dealership, Be polite and respectful but firm. They need to replace your computer with no charge to you. If they will not replace it you need to talk to a lawyer about getting your car repaired and getting some money for all the time it's been down due to the dealerships NEGLIGENCE when working on your car. Please keep us updated on what happens with your Crossfire and good luck.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but...is the switch on the shift plate switched to S or W?

Old 11-14-2006, 06:26 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Is your car no longer under warranty? If it is, it should be covered. If not Roy is still right. They should be responsible for their screw-ups. Get that settled, and do not give in. They owe you at least that much. As to the differential, who repaired it? I hope you had the dealer do the repairs at the cost of the Lube place. You say the car has never been the same. That concerns me, as it should run as good if the repair was done right.
In any case, if your car is out of warranty, once you get the dealer to replace the module; do not go back to the DC dealer. Find a good Mercedes shop what will work on your car. They know your car better as it's basically a Mercedes.
Please keep us posted.

Last edited by FP; 11-14-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:16 AM

Hi, my warranty has expired by 4,000 miles and of course Chrysler financial won't help out. Chrysler Alhambra, Ca, (independently owned) denies all of it. They even put a huge gash on the roof which the service manager replied", It looks like someone has painted over this car". But what the jackas* failed to realize was i bought the car brand new, which i quickly told him. First i have to have the computer fixed ($2,000), just to find out what the problem is.
As for EZLUBE, they accepted full responsibility by putting in a USED differential. I need a good lawyer and if any one has any suggestions a good mechanic. Also do you know how or where I can find maybe a salvaged computer module? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the computer basically the whole brain of the car? I love this car and don't want to lose it. I've halfway paid it off. Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 AM

Also its switched to S.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you should escalate this through Chrysler Customer Relations, not Chrysler Financial. They only care that you make your payments on time. Look at your owner's manual. The customer relations contact information should be there. If the computer module was working when you first took it in, they need to take ownership of the problem. If that doesn’t work, get a lawyer.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
I think you should escalate this through Chrysler Customer Relations, not Chrysler Financial. They only care that you make your payments on time. Look at your owner's manual. The customer relations contact information should be there. If the computer module was working when you first took it in, they need to take ownership of the problem. If that doesn’t work, get a lawyer.
Agreed. Yes, the computer is basically the 'brains' of the car. It receives and transmits signals to regulate fuel/air, idle, etc.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may be wrong, but I believe that the computer falls under federal emissions mandate and has to be warrantied for five years. I say that because I had an '83 Chevy Citation, Okay I can hear everybody out there laughing, but that car lasted more miles then my '70 Camaro, and the computer went out 14K miles 2K after the warranty and the service manager told me then that it and the emission sensors and the map sensor (multiplexer) were covered for 5 years. This may have changed over the years but you should investigate it regardless. Also, if they fried it then they are responsible for the repair as marauderroy stated.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If they fried it they should have to pay for it.
Start making some calls.
Take notes on who you talk to.
Also write down the info you want to tell them so when you go over and over it again going up the chain you don't leave out any important info.
As humans we tend to leave out details when we are forced to tell the same tale over and over again.
Best of luck.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:36 PM

Thank you for all your great advice. I'm definitely going to look into the 5 year warranty on the emissions sensor. Keep you posted. Thank you again!!!