Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

TPM Low Tire Light

Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question TPM Low Tire Light

Well I'm running my car with out sensor's and just figured I would pull the warning bulb. I looked in the service manual on how to remove the instrument cluster, it say's first remove the steering wheel and that's about as far as I went on that route. So I started looking into the wiring to see if it was possible to just pull a wire to get the light to go out, I don't think you can just pull the fuse because I believe it's shared with the Home Link System. In the wiring details the module applies a ground to turn the light on, but it also looks like there could be a problem disconnecting the wire because it said something about a body module in there somewhere if I remember correctly. So with all that crap being said, has anyone disconnected this bulb some how?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: TPM Low Tire Light

A few weeks ago my left front tire was punctured by a screw, the TPM light came on so I immediately pulled off the freeway and into a gas station. I saw that the tire was going low, filled it with air and drove it home, pulled the wheel and had the tire repaired.

Had it not been for the TPM I would not have known, some punk in his ricer would have wanted to race me, I would have been game and at high speed, well it could have been ugly.

I think the TPM is a valuable feature that I would not disable. Just my experience and opinion.

Be careful when you attempt the next SRT-6 land speed record.

BTW - I do carry a Monkey Grip tire patch kit for just this situation, but I was not that far from home.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
A few weeks ago my left front tire was punctured by a screw, the TPM light came on so I immediately pulled off the freeway and into a gas station. I saw that the tire was going low, filled it with air and drove it home, pulled the wheel and had the tire repaired.

Had it not been for the TPM I would not have known, some punk in his ricer would have wanted to race me, I would have been game and at high speed, well it could have been ugly.

I think the TPM is a valuable feature that I would not disable. Just my experience and opinion.

BTW - I do carry a Monkey Grip tire patch kit for just this situation, but I was not that far from home.
I agree with you, the TPM system is a great feature. I started buy sensor's for my new wheels, but when I found they were $95 each I changed my mind. I wanted to leave my OEM wheels & tire's all in original condition and not remove the sensor's. My SRT6 is not a daily driver so I figured I'd just buy a nice tire pressure gauge and keep an eye on them. Especially when attempting a land speed record.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve,

When I purchased my aftermarket wheels, I had the company I bought them from (click my wheels link for details) order them from the nearest Chrysler dealer and install them prior to shipping the rims/tires combo.

I am glad I still have the system... It's sure to have saved me at least the price of one sensor already, maybe more.

As to disconnecting the bulb... You may be able to reach up under the dash and get to it. Remove the lower cover panel and see if you have room. I have also heard about people (from the Mercedes forum) that have pulled the cluster without removing the steering wheel on an SLK 320. They just moved the wheel as far back as it would go and then had just enough room to get at the bulbs. I don't have any links... sorry.

Hope that helps some...

Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Steve,

When I purchased my aftermarket wheels, I had the company I bought them from (click my wheels link for details) order them from the nearest Chrysler dealer and install them prior to shipping the rims/tires combo.

I am glad I still have the system... It's sure to have saved me at least the price of one sensor already, maybe more.

As to disconnecting the bulb... You may be able to reach up under the dash and get to it. Remove the lower cover panel and see if you have room. I have also heard about people (from the Mercedes forum) that have pulled the cluster without removing the steering wheel on an SLK 320. They just moved the wheel as far back as it would go and then had just enough room to get at the bulbs. I don't have any links... sorry.

Hope that helps some...
Just for anybody wanting to disconnect the TMP bulb. Drop the bottom of the dash out,( about 7 or 8 screws) and the whole bottom drops down with the head light switch and air vent. Then you can see it through the fuse panel, oh and there is 1 screw behind the fuse panel you have to remove. It is the top bulb and of course the hardest to get to, you will need a long 6mm wrench and it unscrews like a bolt.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fill your wheel with Nitro. It worked on my wife's crossfire. No more TP alarms.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gwetoe
Fill your wheel with Nitro. It worked on my wife's crossfire. No more TP alarms.
I put new chrome wheels on my car and went without sensors.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TMP "light" was on, got new tires last spring. Had them address this as well.
The "light" was still on.... After a couple of weeks I put a piece of black tape over it

A couple of days ago, I've been reading the XF manual(again).

I then discovered that the "light" that was lit was....the telescoping steering wheel lock warning light!

Wow! What a dumb ****!

The TMP light has been out/working all along!

After your laugh...back to the topic.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianBrave

Have to agree here. I had a bad feeling when the car pretty much kicked up on the back rear.. it immediately lit up and I pulled into the station parking lot. I was wondering what I was going to find when I walked around the car.. FUBAR .. 1/2" diameter bolt x 6" long went through my tire and wheel. If it hadn't lit up I probably wouldn't have went for the brakes and driveway immediately..trying to figure out what happened..wheel bearing or otherwise and was it going to do it again.