Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

SRT8/10 conversion...

Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT8/10 conversion...

Guys,

I am interested to find out whether or not anyone has even considered stabbing one of these engines into the Crossfire?

There may be a possibility that I could get my hands on either an SRT8 or an SRT10 engine with the 6 speed trans, computer, loom, etc etc.....

Im pretty sure I could make the V8 fit easily, but what say you on the V10 conversion?

Have done conversions before, but am wondering what the potential snags(ie:fit F to R, side to side, trans fitment, wiring and ECU etc etc may be here with the MoPar engines as opposed to the Merc stuff.

I can fab eng/trans mounts, headers, bracketry, cooling systems etc as that is my background and I enoy doing that kinda stuff. But Im a little inepxericneced when it comes to ECU fitement etc although I do have access to some good "brains" for that stuff. Im not sure if removeing the old ECU /wiring and fittinf the V8/V10 cmpatiable ECU and wiring is enough - an someone school me on this ?

Being a MoPar addict, I'd rather fit the Chrysler engines in my the over the MB stuff which is too overpriced and not as well serviced by the aftermarket (unless you are the Sultan of Brunei of course)

So, has anyone already researched this and what conclusions have they drawn.?

Any info would be very much appreciated...

Thanx.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:41 AM
RPM
Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SRT8/10 conversion...

Anybody gotta spare 200K layin around ? I want one of these !!!

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...-Crossfire.htm

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 AM

RPM I already know about the Startech mob - thanx for the lin k anyway. What I was wanting to know was whther or not anyone had heard of the swap having been done Stateside using a Mopar V8 or V10 and what they had encountered along the way.

The Startech deal is WAYYY overpriced....all packaged up for the gold chainer crowd. 137K Euros for 317 KW ...hmmmm. Is that the Merc engine or the MoPar SRT 8 6.1 ? I get the feeling its a Merc engine. Besides, adding some nice brakes, bigger sway bars and some crappy styling bits does not imo add up to 137K.

The SRT 8 and SRT 10 engines are beginning to end up in the second hand market from insurance write offs and are easily available , even to somone like me in Australia. There appears to be enough room both from side to side and from F to R.

Anyone care to comment?

Thanx...

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 AM

Having studied an '04 Viper in the showroom for a while, there's not much room in the engine bay for the Viper V10. Maybe if you moved the radiator forward a few inches.

I haven't really had a chance to look at the 6.1L Hemi up close, so I can't say if it will fit.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 AM

If you have an SRT just mod your engine. It won't take many mods before you'll be running 425 hp at the crank.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 AM

I know this isn't the conversion you're looking to do, but it might give you an idea of fitment issues, etc. that you may run into.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=18481

IMPO it would be a nightmare to do from reading that above thread as all of the gauges and such would not work, just one example, without the MB ECU present. If you're doing the conversion to the HEMI or the V10, plan on it being a stripped down race car and not for the street(talk to member HDDP).

Good luck though, as I'd love to see someone attempt it being a MOPAR fan myself.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not just buy a used viper and enjoy it for what it is. v10 Crossfire would be so overpowered to the point of being useless, the torqe would ignite the tires constantly, then you have to upgrade other parts on the chassis to handle that much torqe, gotta stay within the envelope. 300-400hp is more than enough and can be done with the 3.2l NA motor. no need to upgrade engines.

you can build your own centrafugal set-up, mount it and have kleeman re-program your ecu. low boost will make 300hp, and cost would be around $4000 to DIY it.

Last edited by Maxwell; 02-05-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:38 AM

All my buddies and Burnsville offroad could help you out. They were the first to put a V10 in Jeff Christies wrangler. Now there making The SRT8 Wrangeler. Dusty the guy in charge of the engine swaps there is our family mechanic and the owner has done a lift or two for me as well.

www.burnsvilleoffroad.com

Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 AM

srt8 comes auto only. v10? That'll be a tight fit.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

LantanaTX is currently swapping out the 3.2 V6 for a Mercedes V8... yeah, I know it's not a mopar engine, but I bet it's more reliable.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Life is random...so am I.

By the time you figure in the cost of hacking in the engine, somehow getting the trans to mount, cutting down a driveshaft, and getting it all to work reliably.....you're going to be in a financial hole. All this for a car that will handle worse due to all the extra weight up front.

If I was to ever attempt a swap in this car I'd try what another member once suggested, I think it was Intenseblu, Drop in a highly modified SRT-4 engine. 400 to 500 horse with a lot less weight than a v-8. Then I can have power AND handling!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by apkano
By the time you figure in the cost of hacking in the engine, somehow getting the trans to mount, cutting down a driveshaft, and getting it all to work reliably.....you're going to be in a financial hole. All this for a car that will handle worse due to all the extra weight up front.

If I was to ever attempt a swap in this car I'd try what another member once suggested, I think it was Intenseblu, Drop in a highly modified SRT-4 engine. 400 to 500 horse with a lot less weight than a v-8. Then I can have power AND handling!
Thanks for the in put guys - I can assure you that I am aware of the potential handling changes etc....but that nothing that cant be addressed imo.

Fitting the engine, mounting the trans, shortening the driveshaft etc are the EASY bits of this conversion as it would be ME that is doing it, not some "pro" shop. geez, doesnt anyone do their OWN stuff anymore??. So the $$$ wont affect me there at all.. Its the electronics that Im not conversant with and was interested in thoughts here....

V10 would be a hard squeeze but the SRT8 engine shouldnt be too difficult. And if I was to go this way Id probably run an aftermarket 6 speed (not sure if the MB 6 speed would fit/live) rather than the MB Auto if this was to happen.

Im really not interested in an turbo 4 cyl....1. theyre too peaky, 2. to get the power you are on the EDGE tuning wise 3. NO TORQUE 4. Have to wind the boost down on the street to live on pump gas 5. I hate 4 cyl engines anyway lol.

BTT and thanx....

Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Basically......with a chrysler v-8.....you'd be rewiring most of the car. You'd need all the electronic bits from the donor engine. you'll also need to address things like spoiler operation, abs, esp, Switching out the Auto trans (if not a 6M), the mercedes ignition system w/electronic L.C. keys, etc. Basically there's no way to do a "half and half" on the electronic system, Even with the Mercedes "star" software and breakout box. There have been many people who have talked about (and MAYBE tried) to do more engine things, only to find them unfeasible due to the electronics. I think the most promising projects to date have been HDDP switching his to a SRT, and latana's switching to a Mercedes V-8.

But don't let me stop you......I'd love to see someone swap a big 'ol american V-8 .......preferrably this..........

392 HEMI CRATE ENGINE — 525/540 HORSEPOWER

Mopar’s fi re-breathing, 525-horsepower fuel-injected 392 Hemi crate engine is an all-new engine assembly for a new generation of Mopar enthusiasts. Comes complete with a preprogrammed engine controller and harness to ensure compatibility with virtually any vehicle configuration.
Specifications:
• Deep-Skirted Cast Iron Block with Cross-Bolted Mains
• CNC Ported Aluminum Twin-Plug Cylinder Heads
• Stainless Steel 2.100" Intake and 1.600" Exhaust Valves
• Ovate Wire (Beehive) Competition Valve Springs
• Viton Competition Valve Stem Seals
• 279ฐ/285ฐ (duration @ .006") Hydraulic Roller Cam with .584" In,.552” Ex
• Forged Pistons (4.055" Bore)
• 10.3:1 Compression Ratio
• Aluminum Single Plane High Rise Intake Manifold, Holley 870 cfm 4-bbl. Carb.
• OR 80 mm manual throttle body
• 4140 Forged Steel Crankshaft – 3.795" Stroke
• 4130 Forged Steel I-Beam Performance Connecting Rods – 6.200" Length
• SFI-Approved Competition Crankshaft Damper
• “Plug and Play” Wiring Harness
• Premium Tri-Metal Performance Engine Bearings
• Precision Balanced Rotating Assembly
• Distributorless Coil-On-Plug (COP) Ignition System

“Plug & Play” Engine Management System (EMS) Features Include:

• Windowsฎ software
• Built-In Peak and Hold Injector Drivers
• Built-In Direct Drive Ignition
• Built-In Dual Wideband UEGO Controllers (UEGO sensors not required or included)
• Sequential Fuel Injection
• Soft Cut Rev Limiters
• Onboard 512 kb Datalogger
• Definable Knock Control
• Full Idle Control
• Uses all the Factory Sensors
• Complete 392 calibration included

Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM

Srt-4's are extremely torquey, can make about 300whp for a very small investment, have been shown to handle up to 450whp on the stock block reliably, and actually come manual. Do you have any idea how much a custom six speed transmission is going to cost? You can't just "do" these things by yourself, these aren't old american carburated cars where you drink three beers and are done swapping an entire motor and tranny if three hours. The electronics involved with modern german cars is baffling even to those who make them. If it was easy to do an engine swap, someone would have done it by now. It's taken hddp and lantana a long time to get their done and has probably cost more than they would want to tell us (or will end up doing so).

Point is, the best way to buy a fast crossfire is to buy an srt6. Second best way is to swap in an srt6 engine because the motor has proven to handle more than 400whp in other applications and was made for this car.

But if best of luck getting it done, it would be one bad as s ride if you did it.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
LantanaTX is currently swapping out the 3.2 V6 for a Mercedes V8... yeah, I know it's not a mopar engine, but I bet it's more reliable.
I wouldn't bet on that. Chrysler V8's are known for being bulletproof and extremely reliable. For ease of a swap though, I'd go with a Mercedes engine.

Last edited by No Warning Shot; 02-07-2008 at 09:37 AM.