Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Air con smell

Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air con smell

I get a very unpleasant smell coming from my Air con just after its switched on. Iv been told that the drain may be blocked and its trapped old dirty water thats causing the smell. Does any one know where abouts the drain is and how to unblock it?

Jon

Last edited by The bodyman; 07-24-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Air con smell

Does water (condensation) drip from under your car after the a/c has been on for a few minutes? If so, it is not clogged. Check your filter (behind/under the glove box) and maybe replace it with one of the carbon ones.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danimal
Does water (condensation) drip from under your car after the a/c has been on for a few minutes? If so, it is not clogged. Check your filter (behind/under the glove box) and maybe replace it with one of the carbon ones.
I ran it for 30 mins with A/c on. Switched off. No sign of dripping water!

Jon

Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 AM

Just curious, where can I expect the drip to come from? I'm not too familiar with the location of the condenser, and I don't know whether it's covered by the plastic underbelly pan. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same problem. I haven't noticed a drip either. I've brought it to the wonderful geniuses at Chrysler numerous times now with no success. The main smell comes through when just the vents are on. the A/C basically smells like a mens locker room, my GF absolutely loves it...haha

They said they checked everything including the cabin air filter. There trying one more time this weekend, and are seriously considering that it might be a dead mouse from being in storage over the winter. Does anyone know the most popular hangout spots for mice in our cars??

Old 07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Forum Regular

Stripped a few bits off today to try and find some thing dead. Scuttle cover off, fan blower cover removed. cabin filter out again. Nothing, just a few leaves under the scuttle trim. Found the a/c drain tubes. Just above the gearbox, two each side. They seem clear. Whats next?

Jon

Old 07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Forum Regular

When I have the ac on it's fine, but when I turn on just the vents to bring in outside air it smells weird. I wasn't sure if it was the humidity or what. I also considered that it might be the cabin air filter. Your problem sounds very familiar. Let me know what you find out

Old 07-25-2008, 04:25 PM

I am with you guys! Smells like something died. I bought this car new this spring, it was a 2007 that sat on the dealer lot for a year or so. I was thinking about a mouse or something crawling in somewhere and dying as well. If I find anything I will certainly let you know!

Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 AM
Forum Regular

Used this today and so far no smell. Job done. Only £10.00 as well

Cheers
Jon

Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 AM

I had a similar problem last month, but it was a very strong chemical smell. It reminded me of rubbing alcohol. I kept the windows down and fan blowing for an hour or so and it finally went away, but every once in a while I get a faint smell of it. Anyone experience that?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:35 PM

I used to have a problem with this. I even bought one of those carbon cabin air filters and it only helped a tiny bit. After doing the following thing for the past month or so the smell is finally gone for good!

When I turn the vehicle off after using the A/C I press the recirculation button on the A/C control panel. The second LED light near the bottom of the button will light up and you'll feel air coming out of the vents. It will run for somewhere between 15-30 minutes (even though the key is out of the ignition) and it dries out your A/C system, which helps to kill off mold and mildew and the bacteria that create that terrible smell. I've done this for over a month now and it doesn't kill your battery.

I hope that works for you as well!

Old 08-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing you can do, I've done this for about 7 years now, my old PT's were famous for the same problem. Just turn off the A/C about 4 or 5 minutes before you hit your destination and let the fan blow on high. I've never had an odor issue in the Crossfire by doing this.
Pat

Old 08-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Same problem here. It's not a drain issue on mine. I even poured dishwashing soap, simple grean, Lysol, and Fabreez in to the AC vent, let it sit and washed it all out. Still smells bad. I cleaned out my filter and sprayed Fabreeze on it and still no luck.

My Stealth and Continental NEVER did this. MB engineering at it's finest.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 PM

My AC has no odor while in use, it's immediately after switching off the AC I get an odor that makes me want to vomit. I haven't seen any condensation dripping out of the drain hoses, yet I can't find any obstructions or kinks in the hoses.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by amcordo
I used to have a problem with this. I even bought one of those carbon cabin air filters and it only helped a tiny bit. After doing the following thing for the past month or so the smell is finally gone for good!

When I turn the vehicle off after using the A/C I press the recirculation button on the A/C control panel. The second LED light near the bottom of the button will light up and you'll feel air coming out of the vents. It will run for somewhere between 15-30 minutes (even though the key is out of the ignition) and it dries out your A/C system, which helps to kill off mold and mildew and the bacteria that create that terrible smell. I've done this for over a month now and it doesn't kill your battery.

I hope that works for you as well!

I strongly urge everyone to try doing this. 90% of the folks with the odor issue are smelling the byproducts of bacteria thriving in a cool, dark, wet environment. This feature was installed specifically to dry out the system after use to kill the bacteria before it can create these smells!