Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Tough Manual Shifting

Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tough Manual Shifting

The transmission is tough to shift in and out of gear when cold (6-speed manual). When warm, it is still a bit tough to shift into gear, especially 1st and reverse. The car has only 34,000 miles. Any ideas? Should I have my fluid changed out? Thank you.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Default Re: Tough Manual Shifting

I've been reading about others changing the fluid out saying this issue is caused by the fluid being too thick. Has anyone else changed out there fluid? Could it be bad synchros? I have 3 years left on my powertrain warranty.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

honestly that is how the manual is on this car when cold the first, reverse and second can be kinda klunky.

let the car warm up a bit and drive it easy the first couple miles till the fluid work through and warm up a bit

not sure about the fluid i thought it was good for a while

i have a 08 limited and when cold i experience same issues

Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markfothebeast
The transmission is tough to shift in and out of gear when cold (6-speed manual). When warm, it is still a bit tough to shift into gear, especially 1st and reverse. The car has only 34,000 miles. Any ideas? Should I have my fluid changed out? Thank you.
I had my fluid changed at the dealer at 30k, it comes from the factory with automatic transmission fluid. When they change it they replace it with synthetic oil. As "Faiz23" said, that's just the way some, probably most of the 6 speeds shift.
I really can't say the synthetic oil improved it, actually I think it got a little worse. At least until it warms up.
Most people think the tranny shifts better when you accelerate harder, but that's not always the prudent thing to do.

Last edited by +fireamx; 04-05-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Forum Regular

oh yeah i forgot shift around 3k-3.5k and it should be smoother transition, blip throttle a little upon shift and try to rev match

oh yeah one more thing try driving around one day without traction control it is fun especially when you shift lol .

Even though manual can be notchy in the morning once you warm it up i love the manual over an auto. now if you live in a big metropolitan city that is gonna suck

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM

I would try it.

Make sure you use the right fluid as using plain old synthetic "Autozone" Manual Transmission Fluid can make your transmission feel even worse.

On Japanese cars, I've had great luck with Acura MTF 08798-9031A. Not sure what to recommend for the XF, but there has to be a Mercedes equivalent.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 PM

Maybe I'll take it to my local mercedes dealer and have the fluid changed. It's hard to shift into reverse all the time. You really have to snap it into reverse. As for shifting into 1st, I usually slide it through 2nd then into first and it's easier. Sometimes double clutching makes it easier. It's just not right for a car that cost $35,000.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 AM

You're not the only one complaining about this problem.

I'm wondering if early 6MT XF's went out with the wrong sort of fluid inside the tranny.

Let us know if it helps, and good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try either 0W-20 or 5W-20 synthetic oil.

I switched to Amsoil 0W-20 last Fall with some cold weather shift improvement, BUT, this is just a rough shifting manual tranny when cold by design.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ghlight=harbor

Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 AM

I disagree.

Do not attempt to use synthetic engine oil of any variety. The shifting will get worse, guaranteed (ask me how I know!)

If you choose to use something other than an actual MB MTF fluid, then use the Acura MTF I mentioned.

Gear oil and engine oil have completely different shear viscosity and additives, heck they even smell completely different. Very, very different stuff.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I disagree.

Do not attempt to use synthetic engine oil of any variety. The shifting will get worse, guaranteed (ask me how I know!)

If you choose to use something other than an actual MB MTF fluid, then use the Acura MTF I mentioned.

Gear oil and engine oil have completely different shear viscosity and additives, heck they even smell completely different. Very, very different stuff.
Sonoros - Give me some more detail on this please. My owner's manual lists 5W-20 engine oil as an acceptable replacement fluid, as long as it meets API SL or GF3.

If you've had problems, let me know so I can replace my fluid.

PM me if its a long story.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
Sonoros - Give me some more detail on this please. My owner's manual lists 5W-20 engine oil as an acceptable replacement fluid, as long as it meets API SL or GF3.

If you've had problems, let me know so I can replace my fluid.
The same verbiage "API SL or GF3" is used in virtually every single US auto manual and/or repair guide. That's just a measure of its resistance to heat. What matters for tranny fluid is also its shear viscosity under extreme pressure, for which engine oil is unrated.

How I know from experience - I only drive MT cars and did my first 5MT fluid swap on my brother's DC2 Integra @ 140,000 miles. We pulled out his owner's manual from 1995 and indeed, it specified synthetic 5W-20 engine oil meeting "API SL or GF3" specs. We drained the fluid and refilled to spec with engine oil. Immediately afterwards, he complained of poor shifting. I verified. Gears were grinding on shifts, the gearbox felt notchy.

After 3000 miles, we completely drained the gearbox, refilled with 08798-9031A, and the shifter felt better than new. I'm talking about S2000-style gearbox performance. Completely transformed. The change was instantaneous by the way. The instant the new MTF was put in, the shifting performance was restored.

Engine oil = bad. You may also try GM Synchromesh semi-synthetic with Friction Modifier, #12377916.

I still think the Acura fluid is the best.

Last edited by sonoronos; 04-06-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Wouldn't a Crossfire transmission have a different reaction to fluid for an Acura? I had trouble with a MT on a Mustang and swapped the fluid out with a thinner synthetic auto trans fluid and it shifted better than any vehicle I've ever owned. The stock gearbox fluid was too thick for the galley ways and the transmission fluid wouldn't circulate fast enough to make shifts easy (from what I read). But apparently the fluid has to act as a coolant at the same time and disperse the heat.

Does anyone here have a Crossfire that shifts smoothly?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM

If you put in ATF into a Tremec box and got better shifting performance, then you most likely lucked out, and/or the original fluid was in fairly bad shape.

ATF is designed for a very different kind of transmission, which uses a torque converter.

ATF, MTF, Engine Oil - all different.

Use an actual MTF, like GM Synchromesh or Acura MTF, and if you really feel like spending $$$, you can use stuff like Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I would suggest sticking with whatever Chrysler specifies for the MT6. There are good reasons for manufacturers to select certain fluids.

I have two MT6s and both are relatively hard shifters, compared to my old 2002 Vue MT5 and both my Audi's (A6 and A4) with MT6. It's the nature of the beast. The roadster, now with 32k miles, has gotten easier as it becomes more "broken in". Eventually you will find the sweet spot to go from 1st to 2nd. Reverse is not a problem on either car. Consider it one of the idiosyncracies of the car, like the electrics on an old Triumph.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Here's a link to many, many reviews of GM Synchromesh Friction Modified on the web. Reviews are glowing.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ed&btnG=Search

Last edited by sonoronos; 04-07-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:47 AM

Has anyone tested any other type of transmission fluids on this car?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sonoronos, do you currently have a 6MT XF and if so, what are you running and how does it work out? I have the same problem and want to make sure I only have to drain and purcahse once. Since I know very little about these things, I will trust your advise. Thanks in advance.

John

Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM

05 - I have a 6mt xf in my garage in MN with 5k miles. The shifter has been just fine from the first day that i bought the car.

I plan on changing out my mtf with GM Synchromesh with Friction Modifier @ the first 2 wrench service, you may have to wait a while before that happens - sorry.

As for what fluid to use, don't take my word for it. Just read around, take my opinion as one of many...

Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will keep poking around, thanks for the advice. With mine, I have 40K on it and I think this would not be a bad idea to change, if it has a better feel afterwards, great, if not, it certainly can't hurt to have fresh.

Quick Reply: Tough Manual Shifting