Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Accessing the Front Tow Hook

Old 12-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessing the Front Tow Hook

I hope you all should never need it. But, after a failed oil change (can't say more without cursing) I had to have mine flat-bedded.

Called the Road Side Assistance for a tow. At this point, with all the other problems I have had with Chrysler and the Dealer, I was done. Until its perfect, I am not even going to open the door (Obviously, I am becomming even more dissatisfied). So, I handed him the manual, and the tool for him to do it.

The manual discribes using the tool in the passengar side lower grill, in the obvious hole, and to Rotate Left to remove.

Well, this isn't correct. But, I will get back to that. This (ahem) "person" started jamming the tool in the hole and twisting and prying like he was drilling for gold. As a result, he completely ruined the grill. I sent this incompetant Jail-House **** Tattoo covered "person" away. (I can't imagine being an elderly minority on some back road and this piece of human waste comes out to 'tow' them).

Lllooonnnggg story short(er). I evicted him. Complained to the Road Side assistance about his competance with this vechile. Also called Chrysler Customer service about there choice in tow companies, their unfamiliarity with the car, and the seedy nature of their employees. Then, called the dealer, who jumped right up, paid for a new towing company to come out and they are paying for that and the replacement partS damaged by the first company, so I don't have to go through all the claims problems.

Anyway, how to remove the grill and access the hook...

The manual IMPLIES it is a scew you must find with the tool to release the grill (same as so many other higher end cars). However, this is not the case. There is no screw. There are two ways to remove it:

1) Insert the tool in the hole describe in the manual, at a 45 angle to the grill (Point outward, handle toward the centre of the car). There is a little slot the tool fits into. Then, by prying GENTLY to the left you release the catch and remove the grill peice. *I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS* you still run a high risk of damanging the soft plastic grill.

2) The best way to remove it is, turn the wheels as far Left as possible. In the wheel well, at the front is a little access panel you can easly snap off, then reach in and detatch the grill from the inside. Thus you don't pry agains the grill plastic.

Moral(s) of the story: If you need to flat bed the car, remove the grill youself (with method two above). If you are in middle Indiana and need a tow, and use Road Side Assistance, and do NOT accept service from Twin Towing of Anderson (You dont want to meet this fellow, if you are stranded). NEVER EVER EVER allow Payton Well's Chrysler in Anderson Indiana to even open the door to your Crossfire let alone do any work (On a personal level they are great and do whatever they can for you, they really do try and bend over backwards to make things easy and better. Technically, however, they are completely inept and have not done a single piece of service for me either Right the frist time, nor right any followup times. I've really tried to keep an open mind about these folks, and don't want to bam them publiclly, like this. But, they are really and truely unable to effectively and safely work on this car, certified or not).

Wow! This was way to long, and I didn't even go into half of it (Sides, you folk all love this car, and don't what to hear the fustration of someone who's feelings have been just declining every day of ownership. I'll never get a Chrysler again, and I will most likely be dropping this car as soon as possible).

Hope your experiences are better.
Bye!

Old 12-05-2003, 02:16 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Galen, I'm really sorry to hear about all of your problems. That is pretty ridiculous. After all of the problems you have had with your car, I wouldn't blame you for wanting to get rid of it. I guess these things happen once in a while, but unfortunately you were the unlucky one. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the problems with your car were caused by faulty servicing/prep of the car. Once you regain your composure, maybe you could talk about your failed oil change.... probably difficult for you to recount, but I'd like to know what could have possibly gone wrong?

Old 12-06-2003, 06:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your problems! Those grills just snap in so you should be able to just pull or push it out with your fingers!I think you probably got a lemon or a car built on a friday afternoon.I think the car is great no problems and haven't scene one in the shop yet for repairs.Our dealer even gets problem cars from other dealers and we still haven't scene one.We get some owners that get a lemon.....get it bought back....buy another chrysler and have problems with that one....some people have no luck with cars.My family and I have owned many dodges and chryslers and never had major problems...we also take good care of them!

Old 12-06-2003, 06:36 AM
kusheen
Default lemons

Some years ago, my wife and I bought a Plymouth Voyager mini van new. Had three transmissions in it the first 9 months. The front passenger door was out of line (no big deal) until the paint in the right front fender started to yellow (it was a white vehicle) leading us to believe the fender had been repainted, leading us to further believe (adding the door alignment) that there had been some front end damage sometime in it's short life from factory to our driveway.

Long story short, it was a lemon, had to hassle a bit w/Chrsyler but they eventually took it back.

Soured us on Chrysler products for good. I would not have even sat in an Xfire had it used Chrysler running gear.

Irrational maybe, but that's human nature. If I had bought a lemon Mercedes somewhere along the line, I would've probably steered clear of the Xfire.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:47 AM

I had the same kind of experience with a 97 Cirrus that turned me away from Chrysler. When my 97 Cirrus hit 65K miles it started falling apart. The first thing to go was the transmission Y thank Godd for extended warrenties). When the tranny was torn down they said that almost every seal in it was shot. They rebuilt it and all was fine for anout 3 weeks. Then the A/C compressor locked up. This time my old Chrysler dealer gave me a new Ford Explorer to drive as a loner. As soon as I got the Cirrus out of the shop I took it straight to my local Ford dealer and my '99 Explorer is still sitting in my driveway. I still don't think I would have a Chrysler if this one had been built in Canada like my Cirrus.

Old 12-06-2003, 08:35 AM

I wana hear about the "failed" oil change. :lol:

Olny been towed twice, but your description of the tow- er seems right.

Old 12-06-2003, 08:41 AM

Oh, forgot to say thanks for the info.

May come in handy down [or on the side of] the road someday.

Old 12-06-2003, 08:42 AM

Only been towed TWICE!!! I've only had a car towed once in my life and that was from an accident not a breakdown. I'm 52 with a whole bunch of miles behind me!!! What happened to cause you to have it towed twice???

Old 12-06-2003, 10:50 AM

To bad about your Cirrus, I had mine (1995) for 4 years and 94,000 miles, no problems, traded it in on a 1999 300M. The 300M (95,000 miles) was replaced by the 2004 Crossfire

Old 12-17-2003, 02:47 PM

Mightyjlr asked what could have gone wrong with the oil change. . . I'm wondering that myself.

They were unable to find anything wrong with it. Rechecked everything they did, and checked for evidance of spillage burning off, they can't see anything wrong.

But, my oil light and the wrinkling smell of burnt oil in my nose beg to differ.

This is as short as I can make the chain of events:

I've had the TSB'ed wind noise issue since day one. It finally came back fixed (yesterday) after seven trips in, three replacement moldings, and a whole new window (after they over adjusted one and it shattered in the lot, "untouched").

Over one of the "Its fixed, we road tested it, no wind noise" breaks where I get in, and find the noise again within a mile of the dealership, I decided when I broght it back the next day (for round five of the wind noise) I'd have them change the oil (just brushing 3.5K miles).

Next day, they change the oil and give me the "Its fixed, we road tested it, no wind noise" line. I get in, and of course, noise. I take it right back again (same day, as it was still early, instead of an afterhours pickup).

Get it back, again with the same line I've heard so many times. Again, not fixed. But, its late so I decided to take it home, and try for the seventh time in the morning. That's when I look down and noitice the Oil light it on.

Of course, I'm scared breathless, in the middle of a traffic jam and construction on the shoulders. I just find a break where I can get off the road and the light goes off (maybe on for only 20 seconds that I noticed). Panting and sweating I decided to just get it home before I look at it (only a couple more miles, and I was just trying the 'pretend it didn't happen' technique I am so good at).

Get home, open the door, and wheeeeh! Burnt Oil Stentch. I was willing to play ostrich on the light (just being changed, maybe it was resetting the computer or something, I tried to reason with myself), but I can't ignore the smell.

That's where the first post in this thread picks up. Had a long serious heart-to-heart with the GM, VP and Head of Customer Relations. Told them my impressions of their abilities (quite calmly and politely, I might add) They had the car for two-weeks. Fixed the wind noise, finally (after breaking the window and starting over), replaced the lower grill pieces the tow service destroyed. And, Told me they couldn't reproduce or find the oil problem.

That was yesterday. I've driven it a little bit, to see if the smell returns, okay so far. Since I can't trust what they actually tell me (see wind noise above, also several things I was told during the Transmission replacement nightmare that I have since found to be false), I wonder what they really found and didn't want to own up to. Or worse, what they didn't find, since they can't seem to adjust a window in six tries and the TSB right infront of them (Or check to see if they have fluid when chaning a transmission, or follow proper Chrysler proceedures on warrenty approval, etc,.).

Called all the dealers in this half the state, no one has any real experience with it here (one other place has changed oil in one once), and it only gets more rural in the other half. Also called two Merc dealers to see if they would just peak at it, and double check the work what parts are from the SLK (they wouldn't).

I am contemplating flat-bedding it to Detroit over the shut-down to get it to a dealer who has actually worked on them in real life. I just don't trust a single thing they have done (Including the transmission). But, that's a lot of money when I could just let it burn itself out, and sue the dealer instead. (obviously, quite cynical at this point) I really don't want to get rid of the car. I loved it at the beginning. But now, I just feel ill whenever I look at it, I'm afraid to drive it, and I don't trust the oil or the transmission (or the windows from shattering right next to my face, for that matter).

That's (almost) the whole story. I will try and make my final decision on the car in the next few days.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Forum Regular

I think you need to be going up the ladder with Chrysler. In the information you received with your car, there are numbers to call for this type of situation. If you do not have them, I will go out and get mine for you.

It is truly a great car, and it is sad that you have had such a bad experience. But like the old saying goes, "The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease", so start complaining to the proper people at Chryler.

I hope it works out for you.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:05 PM

Can you supply TSB # for wind noise,

Tahnks

Old 12-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular

Windnoise TSB#23-023-03 Body section came out Oct.17 2003.For wind noise at front of door glass over 50mph.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:16 AM

Thanks

Old 12-28-2003, 01:07 AM

Knowing that the art of communication between dealership management and personel can be somewhat lacking when TSBs and technical updates come out I wonder if the person that did your oil change even knew that the Crossfire takes 8.5 quarts. Maybe he did a 6 quart fill as per our training class and shop manual. As thick as the Crossfire shop manual is I feel it is not the final answer. It doesn't even say what is involved in a A or B service. It says see the owners manual. :?

Mopar Doctor