Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

turns over but trouble starting

Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile turns over but trouble starting

Hi all

I have wadded through all the previous foum posts regarding starting and have neot really read any syptoms that describe what I am gettin gon my 05 roadster.

Problem started last friday. I sue the car every day with no problems then out of the blue last friday the car took a really long time to start, i left the starter in for about 10 seconds then the engine kicked in but seemed to be struggerling to reach an idle. Over the weekend I the problem continued. Each time I left the starter in and when I felt the engine fire I booted the throttle at that seemed to get it going. Worth noting that once the car has started it seems fine.

I took it to a local garage on Monday and they changed my air filters and sparks. When I got the car home and tried to start it once again turned on the starter for 10 seconds + before the engine spluttered in.

The car is booked back in to the garage later this week but so I am struggerling on with it. This morning I tried to start it again. This time it turned for 10 seconds I felt the engine fire so I gave it some throttle but it had no effect it barely rasied the revs then it died and brought the starter back in. Second time I tried it again 10 seconds and booting the throttle and it started okay.

again once the car has started it runs fine, it doe's feel a little flat sometimes when I'm booting it at higher revs?

I've read possible causes are

fuel filter
fuel pump
relay control module
crank position sensor
keyfob battery

I have spoken to the mechanic at the garage who will be takin git on friday and as a mater of course he will be changing the fuel filter for me and I will replace the keyfob battery tonight but I'm not sure If the symptoms lend themselves to one or another cause?

thanks for your help

Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 574 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Re: turns over but trouble starting

Forget the fob entirely.
I think it's a fuel pressure problem of which there has been a lot lately.
Get the fuel rail pressure checked and do a leak down test. Fuel pump check valve or fuel pump pressure are my guesses.
When you put the key in the ignition and turn it on what would happen if you waited 10 seconds before going to the start position? Can you here the pump running and for how long?

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-20-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Forget the fob entirely.
I think it's a fuel pressure problem of which there has been a lot lately.
Get the fuel rail pressure checked and do a leak down test. Fuel pump check valve or fuel pump pressure are my guesses.
When you put the key in the ignition and turn it on what would happen if you waited 10 seconds before going to the start position? Can you here the pump running and for how long?
Thanks for your quick replay much appreicated.

I'm in the office at work at the moment so I will try leaving it in the ignition position for 10 seconds before starting .. will the fuel pump start and build pressure in the ignition position?

Thanks for your recomendations to look at the fuel pump check valve and fuel pump pressure. Can either of these be fixed with out the need of buying new units?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 574 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossco
Thanks for your quick replay much appreicated.

I'm in the office at work at the moment so I will try leaving it in the ignition position for 10 seconds before starting .. will the fuel pump start and build pressure in the ignition position?

Thanks for your recomendations to look at the fuel pump check valve and fuel pump pressure. Can either of these be fixed with out the need of buying new units?
The check valve is in the fuel pump and not repairable. When the fuel pump fails it is time to get a new one. The filter fault is a possibility and are quite cheap.
I would not go back to that garage, they should have cured it the first time, why did they not know it was not fixed.
As I said get the fuel pressure checked and the leak down test. If its the pump this will tell you. Presuming you do not have a leaky injector.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks again .. Much appreciated.

I will post how I get on .. and yes I wont be going back to that garage. I was using alocal garage as opposed to the stealership but maybe a problem like this is best left int he hands of the dealers.

thanks again

Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 507 Likes on 349 Posts

I have just recently had this same problem.
Did a lot of searching here and found this write up to probably be the best match to what I am experiencing and sounds like your problem as well.

Mine began acting up last Friday but today it finally caused the car to barely even run but I made it home....but just barely.
No CEL or codes but not enough fuel supply to run normally.
I'm getting a new fuel pump and fuel filter hopefully this weekend.
Will try the filter/regulator first and test the fuel pump to see if it is the problem.

Check this out: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/607808-post34.html

Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 AM

I tried leaving the key in the ignition position for 10+ seconds before starting the car yesturday in the hope that if the pump was having trouble getting to pressure this would help but there was no difference.
My car is also going in for a new fuel filter and if needed a new pump at the weekend, I will ask them to do a pressue check first though.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 507 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I have just recently had this same problem.
What I am experiencing and sounds like your problem as well.

Mine began acting up last Friday but today it finally caused the car to barely even run but I made it home....but just barely.
No CEL or codes but not enough fuel supply to run normally.
I'm getting a new fuel pump and fuel filter hopefully this weekend.
Will try the filter/regulator first and test the fuel pump to see if it is the problem.
Follow Up: Needswings (Rob) and rcompart (Rudy) did it !!!