Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Crossfire Wont Sart

Old 02-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire Wont Sart

My 04 Chrysler crossfire has been fine for two years with no check engine lights or anything....

about a month ago my check engine light went on for two days (i didnt get a chance to get the code checked out) and after the two days it went back off.

On the fourth day i got home then when i was going to leave again my car went on then turned off immediately. I turned it on again and again it went back off immediately. After that when i turn the key it does not turn on or engine does not even make a sound to try to start up again.

I though it was the starter, changed it but nothing. Still wont start up. My dad is a mechanic so he went under the car to make sure the starter is getting power and it is. So he tried to start it up from under with a screwdriver and the engine does start up but it will not turn on.

checked all fuses they are all good.
battery is good.

im stuck, i feel like it might be a sensor, i pluged a computer but did not throw me a code.

car still wont start up or even make any noise when i turn the key.

all might dashboards lights come up so my battery is good.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks guys.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crossfire Wont Sart

Sorry about your issues. Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by hardknocks6936
My 04 Chrysler crossfire has been fine for two years with no check engine lights or anything....

about a month ago my check engine light went on for two days (i didnt get a chance to get the code checked out) and after the two days it went back off.

On the fourth day i got home then when i was going to leave again my car went on then turned off immediately. I turned it on again and again it went back off immediately. After that when i turn the key it does not turn on or engine does not even make a sound to try to start up again.

I though it was the starter, changed it but nothing. Still wont start up. My dad is a mechanic so he went under the car to make sure the starter is getting power and it is. So he tried to start it up from under with a screwdriver and the engine does start up but it will not turn on.

battery is good.

im stuck, i feel like it might be a sensor, i pluged a computer but did not throw me a code.

thanks guys.
If you disconnect the battery for a minute, reconnect it and it will try to start three times more before not trying to start at all it will be an indication that there is a SKREEM problem.
Check the SKREEM posts here, it is a real B!tch of a problem.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:35 PM

what is skreem??

can you explain in a little bit more details didnt find anything on ebay by searching skreem module

Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 PM

what is skreem??

can you explain in a little bit more details didnt find anything on ebay by searching skreem module
Use search on this forum, there is a lot to see about it. It takes a long time to repeat what has been written before.

This is from a post by Superstar, the solution worked for him, if you can rely on it to work all the time I do not know.
So I disconnected the battery one last time. Unplugged the module for a few seconds, then reconnected it and the battery. Keyless entry worked, and the car started right up!

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-26-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:01 PM

Just a quick update....

had a mechanic check out my car, he plugged hes crazy computer to my car (the guy charges 60 bucks just for coming out, he has high tech computer a long with his laptop where he looks at the car diagram) anyways he told me he couldnt connect to the cars computer.........2,500 for a new ecu at the dealer and i have to reprogram it. He told me it cant be used because the dealer wont program it .

so, I just sent my ecu to sia electronics where they repair all types of ecu's or atleast test them and repair them if repairable. Hopefully they give me good news....or else i dont know what to do

ebay has a new ecu for 1,500......

any suggestions on what my mechanic said

check engine went on for two days......now car wont start or engine wont click over...

Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery and see that it gave you 2-3 "almost" starts.. such as the skreem symptoms? You state you plugged in a computer but no codes.. when your dad was checking starter.. Did you get an error connect then? If not I would have to second guess your traveling laptop "expert"...

Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 PM

yes i did.....no start after or engine crank after having the battery cables touch....

Old 03-19-2016, 08:52 AM

yes i did.....no start after or engine crank after having the battery cables touch....
Touch what exactly?

Old 03-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Touch what exactly?
i think he is stating that he touched the pos and neg cable together after disconnecting them from the battery. i'm not sure if this would be any different than just disconnecting the neg cable. the thought is that it completely discharges the car's electrical system.

has the OP verified that the relay control module is not faulty? Obviously that can cause a no crank situation. But it can also throw codes (like P0600 - data link failure). It can also result in a crank with no start. It might be helpful to know what codes the mechanic read.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 PM

hi guys so my crossfire is still down and its really frustrating...

i sent in my computer to sia electronics and they told me my computer was fine. it was responsive and the communicated to it.

car turned off no start or engine crank.....had a check engine light but went off and wasnt able to get the code...

what exactly is the skreem module please in simple terms?

any help would be appreciated it

thanks guys.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sentry Key Remote Entry Module. One of its functions is to immobilize the vehicle if the ignition key fob transponder chip isn't recognized. So if the module itself became faulty it would no longer recognize the valid key fob. But before you even start investigating the SKREEM module, let me ask you again.....

Have you verified that the relay control module (RCM) is not faulty? The reason I suggest this is that you mention in your original post that the engine started and then died quickly twice and then would not crank at all. I had a similar experience and it looks like it was a failing RCM relay (and not the more common solder problem). Before eventually becoming a never crank situation, I experienced several starts followed by quick stalls or just cranking with no start. The RCM is plug-and-play so if is the problem it can typically be repaired or replaced rather inexpensively since you don't need to program anything (unlike when replacing the PCM or SKREEM). I'd recommend removing the RCM and inspecting it if you haven't already.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 PM

I would suggest the same as Rob,
I've had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. My car is in for winter storage and I start it once every few weeks during the winter. A few weeks ago after starting it up the idling was a little wonky then all of a sudden it just stopped running and stalled.. I turned the key and there as absolutely nothing.. Nothing wrong with the voltage as the lights were strong etc... I had removed the Rcm last year and soldered it as I had noticed some weak spots.. Hence I removed the Rcm again this time... Looked at the solder joints and they didn't seem bad but soldered pretty much every joint on the board just to be on the safe side. Installed it back in the car and it started right up... No problems.. It's a quick and easy fix so if that's your issue for the no start.. You will be running in no time... So yes I would also say that it should be the first thing to do before diving into more complicated fixes...
Best of luck.. Let us now how you make out.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Sent you an email Hard Knocks

tighed1@ Hotmail .com

to reply.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Received 186 Likes on 154 Posts

battery is good.

thanks guys.
The car not starting is the result of a permanent Limp mode. A permanent Limp mode DTC recovers when the key is cycled. [B]HOWEVER [B] if the same DTC is detected for three key cycles ( on off starts ) the system does not recover (car won't start) and the DTC must be cleared with a scan tool. You must be able to scan the transmission codes with a DRB III tool. The standard OBD II scan tools won't give you the DTC you need. Many transmission DTC cause permanent start engine lock outs. If you can lock/unlock your doors then i doubt the SKREEM is your problem.
Simple SKREEM test: Lock your doors from outside the vehicle with the FOB then look inside at the Tow-Away Alarm Switch. Is it flashing?? If not then you have a SKREEM problem. If it does flash then the SKREEM module should be OK.

Last edited by zip439; 04-15-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Am a bit opinionated here : Most Crossfires are at least a decade old and were never well understood. You can download the 2005 service manual here and the DTC section near the end contains all of the trouble codes with descriptions.

From Amazon you can buy a
<i>OBD-II dongle</i> OBD-II dongle
for under $15. Torque Pro software is $4.99 from the store, and an
<i>Android tab</i> Android tab
if you do not have a smart phone is $40.

And a FLAPS will read codes for free.

So no excuses for not knowing exactly what codes are set. Personally doubt that you need an ECU, they are very reliable.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

hi guys so my crossfire is still down and its really frustrating...

i sent in my computer to sia electronics and they told me my computer was fine. it was responsive and the communicated to it.

car turned off no start or engine crank.....had a check engine light but went off and wasnt able to get the code...

what exactly is the skreem module please in simple terms?

any help would be appreciated it

thanks guys.
You started off with the classic SKREEM symptoms but you took a left turn from there. "Some guy" shows up with some fancy computer but cannot "read" the car so you start replacing things.

Slow down and get help here first. We asked if you disconnected the battery then reconnected. Does it start now?

Unless this guy had a DRBIII he CAN'T talk to the car.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 04-14-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 AM

i did disconnect my battery, matter of fact i bought a new one because my old one was giving up on me. I had to jump start my car the last three times before the check engine went on .....New Battery and it does not start at all or crank.

my car does lock and unlock with the key control....so does that eliminate the skreem? as zip439 mentioned..

Old 04-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

i did disconnect my battery, matter of fact i bought a new one because my old one was giving up on me. I had to jump start my car the last three times before the check engine went on .....New Battery and it does not start at all or crank.

my car does lock and unlock with the key control....so does that eliminate the skreem? as zip439 mentioned..
Sorry, we need to be very specific here. After you disconnected the battery for 15 minutes and then reconnect did the car start and die three times and then no crank it all?

If you disconnect the battery after the three starts & dies can you repeat the entire process and have the car start/die three times and then no crank at all?

If your answer is yes to both of those scenarios then it is the skreem module or the antenna ring around the ignition. If your answer is no to the above you have multiple issues going on.

Do you have the same symptoms with both key FOB's trying to start the car?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 04-15-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 186 Likes on 154 Posts

KDW read the entire post ~~~~ LOOK THRU THE WINDOW AND CHECK THE TOW AWAY SWITCH> IS IT BLINKING ? ?

and yes please try both key FOB to start the car.

Did you buy the correct battery size & amps? I thinks it about 900 CCA and H6 size.

Last edited by zip439; 04-15-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Crossfire Wont Sart