Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

I found this part to be the cause of the erratic climate control fan speed

Old 06-20-2023, 07:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I found this part to be the cause of the erratic climate control fan speed

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
That's the part. Fit and worked like factory.
So different fan speeds all normal again? How do we go about getting the part? Buy some of those extras off you or order where you got them?

Old 06-20-2023, 09:22 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts
Default Re: I found this part to be the cause of the erratic climate control fan speed

Yes, all good now. I could tell it was the pot, just slightly turnign the **** and the fan would speed up or slow down. YOu can order them like I did. I have nine more, but shipping them is expensive, the big companies like Digikey and Mouser appear to get breaks on shipping costs.

I can ship USPS priority mail for $12 (that's for two parts cause it's easy to damage one). Digikey will ship two for around $9.50 but that's first class mail, took six or eight days -which didn't matter, took me WEEKS to get around to it.

THe fix is easy if you can solder (and, more importantly , unsolder from a PC board). If you cant, then you can pull the module out and take it to a radio shop or electronics repair business and they can replace the pot in about ten minutes - not sure what someone would charge for that, but a replacement module would be $200+ IF you could find a new one - and used ones are no better than what ya got now.

Old 06-21-2023, 12:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to know, there goes my final excuse for procrastinating...

Old 06-22-2023, 11:24 AM
Administrator

I posted this on Facebook today:

Ok, everyone. By now you have probably seen my post where I fixed my erratic blower problem in my car. This can be caused by three things:
Bad blower motor "resistor" - easy fix, part is cheap. (Somewhat common)
Spotty contacts between the circuit boards in the climate controller (rare but it has happened)
Bad potentiometer in the climate controller (getting to be very common - if the fan speed responds and even works correctly for a time after rotating the fan speed ****, then this is the cause)

I have decided to offer a repair service for the potentiometer failure and will clean the contacts between the boards at the same time.
If your fan speed is erratic, or the blower simply stops running at times, change the "blower motor resistor" first. If this does not correct the problem, you can send me the controller and I will clean the contacts between boards and replace the potentiometer.

Here is how it works:
You remove the controller from the car and send it to me (USPS preferred but that's up to you).
I will fix it and send it back by USPS Priority Mail, medium flat rate box, insured for $200 with tracking number in your email when I ship.
The part, labor and shipping to you is $65.

OTHER CAUSES FOR THE FAN TO ACT UP INCLUDE: odd issues with the ECU that is causing A/C to cut out altogether (red light on A/C switch will go out, if it does not go out, the potentiometer is probably the cause); a bad blower motor resistor (so change it before you contact me) or a bad blower motor (usually caused by water leaking thru the vents, you will have water on the passenger side under the carpet in this case).
If you are considering sending me your controller, friend me and message me here on Facebook first and I will talk with you to try to be sure it really IS the controller and not something else BEFORE you spend money on my fix.

GIVE ME A DAY and I will write up a tutorial on how to remove the controller and re-install it afterwards - it's not all that hard.

Not sure I want to be the "DJ of the Erratic fan speed problem" but I thought I'd make this offer after five people on FB asked to send me their controllers.

The following 5 users liked this post by pizzaguy:
DeKalb (06-25-2023), gblack32 (06-23-2023), M60A3Driver (06-24-2023), MDKEEHN13 (07-13-2023), zip439 (12-28-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it has been years since this post. Do you still have inventory?

Old 07-03-2023, 03:13 PM

Thank you for the web site. Ordered mine.

Old 07-04-2023, 08:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hello I would like to buy one for my erratic Gremlin infested hoc control

Old 07-12-2023, 09:39 AM

I may be able to sell you some, I need to verify my shipping cost first.

The following users liked this post:
MDKEEHN13 (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 12:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, everyone. By now you have probably seen my post where I fixed my erratic blower problem in my car. This can be caused by three things:
Spotty contacts between the circuit boards in the climate controller (rare but it has happened)
Bad potentiometer in the climate controller (getting to be very common - if the fan speed responds and even works correctly for a time after rotating the fan speed ****, then this is the cause)

I have decided to offer a repair service for the potentiometer failure and will clean the contacts between the boards at the same time.
If your fan speed is erratic, or the blower simply stops running at times, change the "blower motor resistor" first. If this does not correct the problem, you can send me the controller and I will clean the contacts between boards and replace the potentiometer.

Here is how it works:
You remove the controller from the car and send it to me (USPS preferred but that's up to you).
I will fix it and send it back by USPS Priority Mail, medium flat rate box, insured for $200 with tracking number in your email when I ship.

OTHER CAUSES FOR THE FAN TO ACT UP INCLUDE: odd issues with the ECU that is causing A/C to cut out altogether (red light on A/C switch will go out, if it does not go out, the potentiometer is probably the cause); a bad blower motor resistor (so change it before you contact me) or a bad blower motor (usually caused by water leaking thru the vents, you will have water on the passenger side under the carpet in this case).
If you are considering sending me your controller, friend me and message me here on Facebook first and I will talk with you to try to be sure it really IS the controller and not something else BEFORE you spend money on my fix.

GIVE ME A DAY and I will write up a tutorial on how to remove the controller and re-install it afterwards - it's not all that hard.

Not sure I want to be the "DJ of the Erratic fan speed problem" but I thought I'd make this offer after five people on FB asked to send me their controllers.
PIZZA GUY. What FB site is this on? I’ve looked on several crossfire pages on FB. Leave it too me, I couldn’t find it.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:35 PM

Here is how it works:

Originally Posted by MDKEEHN13
PIZZA GUY. What FB site is this on? I’ve looked on several crossfire pages on FB. Leave it too me, I couldn’t find it.
duh, maybe I should look you up on FB FIRST. SMH

Old 07-13-2023, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MDKEEHN13
Crossfire Tech-parts & rescue Cliff and Eric's page.

The following users liked this post:
MDKEEHN13 (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 01:56 PM

Crossfire Tech-parts & rescue Cliff and Eric's page.
thank you sir 👍

Old 08-13-2023, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried Ebay but get a listing error. My fan does the same thing and I'd like to pick up one of yours. I don't know how to do it since the ebay listing was a wash.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ceasefire
Tried Ebay but get a listing error. My fan does the same thing and I'd like to pick up one of yours. I don't know how to do it since the ebay listing was a wash.
You did not quote anyone. Who are you asking?

When replying to a specific person, please use the "QUOTE" button at the bottom of the post you want to respond to.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Note added to post #1 about how to align shafts.