Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Emissions: "Not Ready"

Old 08-07-2021, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions: "Not Ready"

purchased car in fla..the car failed inspection in n y.... evap and catalytic failed....i drove for 250 miles at hwy speeds..still failed ..any help would be appreciated

Old 08-07-2021, 12:25 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Re: new york inspection

Originally Posted by jjohn
purchased car in fla..the car failed inspection in n y.... evap and catalytic failed....i drove for 250 miles at hwy speeds..still failed ..any help would be appreciated
Driving at one speed does not get the job done, mixed driving speeds does it, I can get mine done in 20 miles of steady town speeds varying between 20 and 40 mph and a return on the highway at 50 mph. No rapid acceleration just plodding along. There is a thread on how to do it on here or just Google for the Chrysler emissions test.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:16 PM
JSK
Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Did it fail because there were codes or because it was not ready to test? Makes a difference, if there are codes you will have to make the repairs. My coupe has twice failed because it wasn’t ready (battery disconnected before test) and required a drive cycle.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSK
Did it fail because there were codes or because it was not ready to test? Makes a difference, if there are codes you will have to make the repairs. My coupe has twice failed because it wasn’t ready (battery disconnected before test) and required a drive cycle.
hi it was not ready....what did u do for the drive cycle

Old 08-07-2021, 01:34 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by JSK
Good point, I was only thinking of the drive cycle.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Received 903 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by jjohn
hi it was not ready....what did u do for the drive cycle
If it is truly just "Not Ready", just DRIVE THE CAR like you normally would. DO NOT 'try' to 'drive it so it will reset', just DRIVE IT.

It will be ready after a few trips.

Title Edited to encourage better comments and moved to appropriate forum

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-08-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"Did it fail because there were codes or because it was not ready to test?"

From what I understand resetting the codes or disconnecting the battery will require a driving period (50-100 miles more or less) to clear a "Not Ready" indication for some things. In my case it was
Catalyst and Evap. Supposedly this was a safety measure so people couldn't reset the codes and immediately go have their car inspected. This will make some things not ready in the OBDII reader until the car has been through a driving period and sensors do their jobs.

Last edited by WarrantCWO; 08-10-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

some code readers will show you if it is ready, hope that helps. Woody

Old 08-11-2022, 10:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Emissions: "Not Ready"

Also, when you drive it requires normal driving, not 100 freeway miles at cruising speed.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:37 AM
Received 431 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrantCWO
"Did it fail because there were codes or because it was not ready to test?"

From what I understand resetting the codes or disconnecting the battery will require a driving period (50-100 miles more or less) to clear a "Not Ready" indication for some things. In my case it was
Catalyst and Evap. Supposedly this was a safety measure so people couldn't reset the codes and immediately go have their car inspected. This will make some things not ready in the OBDII reader until the car has been through a driving period and sensors do their jobs.
Originally Posted by waldig
some code readers will show you if it is ready, hope that helps. Woody
Originally Posted by ZERACER
Also, when you drive it requires normal driving, not 100 freeway miles at cruising speed.

I'm almost positive this issue is moot since the post is over 1 year old?

Old 09-09-2022, 12:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread i realize, but two things to keep in mind when emissions checks are not ready. The oxygen sensor check may never complete if you do lots of short trips. With obd2 diagnostic tool connected, it took me a 13 mile highway trip to get a completed test. The evap check actually requires that you cycle through most of a tank of gas to complete. After a battery replacement it was not ready for well over 200 miles! But that was because i was only putting in a few gallons of fuel at a time and never filling the tank enough. you need to fill up to around 3/4 tank, and then drive to around 1/4 tank to complete that evap check.

Old 09-10-2022, 11:32 AM
Received 431 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
Old thread i realize, but two things to keep in mind when emissions checks are not ready. The oxygen sensor check may never complete if you do lots of short trips. With obd2 diagnostic tool connected, it took me a 13 mile highway trip to get a completed test. The evap check actually requires that you cycle through most of a tank of gas to complete. After a battery replacement it was not ready for well over 200 miles! But that was because i was only putting in a few gallons of fuel at a time and never filling the tank enough. you need to fill up to around 3/4 tank, and then drive to around 1/4 tank to complete that evap check.

A third thing to keep in mind, every vehicle manufacturer has a different way to validate an OBD 'drive cycle', depending on that vehicle, to reset them. Generalizations cover many individual circuit tests within the set drive cycles, but the manufacturers drive cycle will reset if nothing is out of tolerances (defective) within that vehicle. Best to get a hold of the drive cycle, or not. Eventually it'll reset after a few trips unless something isn't working right (out of tolerance).