Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

No start, No crank

Old 02-03-2023, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, No crank

Thanks for reading my post. I have 2004 coupe xfire with 89k miles it a once or twice a month driver. Today I took it out for a spin everything was fine till I stopped to fill my car up at the gas station. after fill it up everything looked great but nothing no crank no start moved the shifter to neutral still nada, the battery was fine it just wouldn't start. I pushed my car away from the gas pump, and I started to search the forum on possible issues. after around 15 minutes I turned the key and boom the car started , I headed home parked it and it started again. not sure if that a sign the rmc issue or maybe something else. Any ideas to solve this issue?

Old 02-03-2023, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts
Default Re: no start no crank.

Originally Posted by roychez
Thanks for reading my post. I have 2004 coupe xfire with 89k miles it a once or twice a month driver. Today I took it out for a spin everything was fine till I stopped to fill my car up at the gas station. after fill it up everything looked great but nothing no crank no start moved the shifter to neutral still nada, the battery was fine it just wouldn't start. I pushed my car away from the gas pump, and I started to search the forum on possible issues. after around 15 minutes I turned the key and boom the car started , I headed home parked it and it started again. not sure if that a sign the rmc issue or maybe something else. Any ideas to solve this issue?
Too late to say now. YOu can confirm the "Mystery No Start" when the starter refuses to engage by letting the key relax to "ON" and sitting there for about 30 seconds.
If you year the engine cooling fan warp up to high speed (you can't miss it unless you are deaf) - the the RCM's engine control relay output has failed.

Failing that, if I were you, I'd order an RCM today. Then, I would send the old one to DJ for reworking . THAT way, you have what many of us have: A known good spare in the trunk. There is NO reason to not have a spare and there is EVERY reason to have a spare. First, you can change the RCM without tools, ANYONE can. Second, RCMs fail - period."

RCMs often go into a mode where they fail and then work then fail then work. If you do nothing, you will end up stranded sooner or later.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-03-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:48 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: No start, No crank

I would not dismiss the crank position sensor getting heat soaked and fail while getting gas and cooling down while sitting afterward. When mine failed it would take from 1/2 to 1 hour to cool.

Old 02-04-2023, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Received 889 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by JSK
I would not dismiss the crank position sensor getting heat soaked and fail while getting gas and cooling down while sitting afterward. When mine failed it would take from 1/2 to 1 hour to cool.
The CPS does not cause the starter to refuse to engage.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:13 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

The “no crank” slipped past me.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Have seen a hot solenoid do that, fine when cools off, won't set a code either. Have used a quarter to bridge the contacts before.