Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

top problems...episode 1,000

Old 03-19-2024, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default top problems...episode 1,000

i checked around before i posted and i couldn't find anyone else with the same exact problem.i already had my windows down...went to put the top down and the windows went up half way then i couldn't hear the pump anymore.checked fuses and fluid is full.i know the xf's are finicky with electrical...could it be my batt terminals are a bit corroded and or dirty causing the problem?

Old 03-19-2024, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 311 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Re: top problems...episode 1,000

Originally Posted by loudrango
i checked around before i posted and i couldn't find anyone else with the same exact problem.i already had my windows down...went to put the top down and the windows went up half way then i couldn't hear the pump anymore.checked fuses and fluid is full.i know the xf's are finicky with electrical...could it be my batt terminals are a bit corroded and or dirty causing the problem?
A low battery will cause a lot of weird problems. Mine was low and when I went to start my car my wing went up and the car started beeping.
Did you have the car running when you tried to put the top down? There could be a few things that could cause that. You're module might have lost track of where your top is supposed to be.
Try cycling your top manually. All the way down and then all the way back up. Check out the video in the link:

Also to prevent corrosion use these felt terminal rings. You can get them at any auto-parts store:

Old 03-19-2024, 08:00 PM

thank you for the fast reply.when it stopped i shut the car off and finished doing it manually.i will clean my posts,cycle it again and try it.thanks again.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:16 PM

i cycled the top manually and this is the sequence...after putting it up and down....tried to put it back up got partially up and it just quit;pump stopped.it's full of fluid and i checked all fuses,checked the divider to make sure it was in place correctly.so i finished closing it manually again.spoiler will not work with the dash switch but will still work correctly while on the highway.i'm almost ready to find a reputable shop here in NC to take it to.

Last edited by loudrango; 04-06-2024 at 10:22 PM. Reason: not finished writing
Old 04-07-2024, 12:25 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by loudrango
i cycled the top manually and this is the sequence...after putting it up and down....tried to put it back up got partially up and it just quit;pump stopped.it's full of fluid and i checked all fuses,checked the divider to make sure it was in place correctly.so i finished closing it manually again.spoiler will not work with the dash switch but will still work correctly while on the highway.i'm almost ready to find a reputable shop here in NC to take it to.
Was the engine running when you tried to put it up and it stopped part way?

Old 04-08-2024, 05:13 AM

yes sir it was running.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Ok, one of the clues is this: At what point did it stop? The point here is that, during the cycle, the controller is watching for signals from cylinder travel sensors that tell it where it is in the sequence. The pump will be commanded to stop dead for many reasons:
  • The fluid level was too low.
  • A travel sensor signals that a cylinder has moved the "wrong" direction (the cylinder did not do this, but a sensor indicated end of travel by accident and confused the controller).
  • The pump stopped, the solenoids shifted to the next segment of the sequence, and when the pump tried to restart, system voltage dropped so far that the controller "lost it's mind" (common when you do not have the engine running and the battery is kinda old or your alternator is not charging at a level above about 14 volts).
  • The trunk latch switch indicated the trunk has come open (that is, the switch is bad).
  • The ABS system told the CLP/SSM that the car is moving more than 9mph (that is, the ABS is lying).
  • The CLP/SSM told the controller to stop moving the top (because the CLP/SSM is insane, probably has water damage in it).
Knowing exactly when/in what position the top stopped can give a clue as to what the problem is that the Controller is dealing with.

Also: As you can see, the top can stop for a lot of reasons OTHER than an actual issue with the top controller or pump themselves. The top controller, BCM, Brake Controller and CLP/SSM all work together to operate the top. A common issue is when the CLP/SSM gets wet and starts to lose it's mind. I have fixed three 'bad tops' by replacing the CLP/SSM and part if its wiring harness when water leaked into the passenger side rear wheel well. But it is true that sensors and switches in the top system are a leading cause of "top wont move".

Consider reading this thread:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...p-sensors.html

Other good threads are here:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...fire-roadster/

Old 04-11-2024, 06:44 PM

it stopped almost half way through the cycle;enough to where the hard cover opened slightly.fluid level is full.