TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

This is fantastic information!

QUESTION: I just bought an SRT6 with only one key. Do I have to order a fob/key by VIN# from the dealer to in order to receive a key with the correct ignition "cut"? Then I assume I can program the remote fob using the instructions in this thread.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to order the key to have the right RFID chip for starting the engine. The programing instructions allow the remote to lock and unlock your doors.

The following users liked this post:
M4rCu5 (09-26-2022)
Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks worked great

Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 PM

Hi Everyone,
I have a question about keys. My house was burglarized last month and among the items stolen from my dresser was my spare key. I took the car into the dealer and they ordered a replacement key (homeowner's insurance paid for it, thank goodness). They did have a shoe box size computer which they used to change the code so that the stolen key could not be used. Ever since though, I've had an intermittent problem with the door locks not responding to the key fob. Sometimes I open the key all the way and then it works, but other times it will not. Any ideas on what the problem might be? Would going through the programing steps potentially help with this issue? I haven't tried it because I do not want to screw up and not have the key fob function at all. Any information/insight/suggestions about the problem that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2006 Crossfire Limited Roadster
Blaze Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Vanilla/Slate interior
JVC KD-LHX 550 head unit (thanks to the forum!)

Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Forum Regular

Have you tried replacing the batteries in your fobs? I talked to one of the electrical techs where I work and he said that it is highly unlikely that the intermittent problem has anything to do with the programing.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Forum Regular

Have you tried replacing the batteries in your fobs? I talked to one of the electrical techs where I work and he said that it is highly unlikely that the intermittent problem has anything to do with the programing.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

give the dealerships a little slack guys the crossfire and the sprinter van are the only two chrysler products made in germany so most of the parts almost all of the parts and security systems are unique, regular chrysler products like the 300 use a different securty key system that allows the dealership to program keys (not remotes even tho the remote is built on the key they are two different things) with a security code to the car and they also use there computer to program the remote part of the key the crossfire key has to be ordered with the vin # not only because of the cut of the key but also because they put the proper chip in to work with the car so when you get your key for your crossfire from the parts dept. and go out to your car you program the remote part of your key the part thats clearly stated in your owners manual the the chip is already there for the security part granted every chrysler dealership should know this some probly never deal with crossfires they are very different but great cars hope this helps...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112
By the way, here's a pic of the inside of the remote, in case anyone is interested.

How did you seperate the two halfs

Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_Boyd
How did you seperate the two halfs
Please see my thread on this:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=22470

Old 05-10-2008, 05:18 PM

WOW! thanks, i had a new key in my room for more than a month now, my stepfather was sepost to take it to a dealer to get it done, coz i never seemed to find time, but that... was just amazing lol

Old 08-17-2008, 04:47 PM
jhb

I went to a 5 star dealer this weekend who had no idea how to program the new key. I pulled up this forum with him looking over my shoulder--and we solved the problem in 2 minutes. He knocked some $ off the price, but I said, "I think you owe me $130!"

Old 09-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Angry Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

Hi guys

All I know is someone is trying to make a bucket load of cash out of me. I bought my Crossfire Roadster second hand from a dealer. It only had one key, and they refused to include a new second key as part of the deal. Now I know why - I have just been quoted $975 incl tax for a replacement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone supply me with an address, or a contact, in the US so I can look at getting one direct from Chrysler? It has to be a cheaper option - it couldn't cost any more, that is for sure!

Any advice gratefully received!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprilia
Hi guys

All I know is someone is trying to make a bucket load of cash out of me. I bought my Crossfire Roadster second hand from a dealer. It only had one key, and they refused to include a new second key as part of the deal. Now I know why - I have just been quoted $975 incl tax for a replacement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone supply me with an address, or a contact, in the US so I can look at getting one direct from Chrysler? It has to be a cheaper option - it couldn't cost any more, that is for sure!

Any advice gratefully received!!!

You need to go to another Chrysler dealer. They order the key based on the VIN#. Only a dealer can order a key for you; but they are nowhere near that expensive. If they ask much over $100 look elsewhere. My local dealer got me a new key for about $80.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Forum Regular

so i can grab a 50 dollar key from ebay switch my key to the new case (including the chip) and thats it new key?? this is very important because i just happened to have my new key chewed up by my new dog!!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
so i can grab a 50 dollar key from ebay switch my key to the new case (including the chip) and thats it new key?? this is very important because i just happened to have my new key chewed up by my new dog!!
No.... when you order a key from Chrysler (which is cut at MB lock and key in Fort Worth) they program the EIS code for your vin into the key. The above mentioned programing is just to sync the key for the keyless entry. Once a key is programmed, thats it, it cannot be programmed to another car. Hope that clears it up a bit. I work wholesale parts at a local MB dealership and just had a hell of a time getting a 2nd key from Chrysler.... long story short, it was cut wrong and I had to send my only key to F.W. Texas for it to be cut right.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:47 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
Yes! When you buy an ebay key, that's about all it's good for: swapping everything from a working key into that shiny new case!

In fact, I can save you some cash. I've got one here I'll sell you for $20 plus shipping.

See my thread for directions on how to do this without destroying the key fob.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=22470

Old 09-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Forum Regular

damn i would jump on that but i dont just have a problem with cosmetics i think the circut board is damaged. i was hoping all id have to transfer was the chip and the actual key.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
No.... when you order a key from Chrysler (which is cut at MB lock and key in Fort Worth) they program the EIS code for your vin into the key. The above mentioned programing is just to sync the key for the keyless entry. Once a key is programmed, thats it, it cannot be programmed to another car. Hope that clears it up a bit. I work wholesale parts at a local MB dealership and just had a hell of a time getting a 2nd key from Chrysler.... long story short, it was cut wrong and I had to send my only key to F.W. Texas for it to be cut right.
I recently bought a keyfob from ebay with a blank key, Iwas able to get a local locksmith to cut the key. The key worked great but the fob could not be reprogramed to work with my Xfire ,I was then told I would need to order a new FOB from the factory at 143.00 dollars. So yes the above is true. You need a new FOB which will come with a new key Cut.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 AM

I just took delivery on my 2007 last Saturday, but it only came with one key. I ordered one from the local dealer and picked it up yesterday. They told me that I would have to see the service dept. to have it programmed. I asked service how much to program my new key: $69.95 and it would take about an hour!!!! I said no thanks and did it myself in about 10 seconds . What a ripoff! I wonder how many people they have taken advantage of.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Thumbs down Re: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$

i know this is going to sound like a dumb question but can i get the mercedes switchblade key to work instead of my chrysler one?

Quick Reply: How to program your own key. SAVE $$$