TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Index of Crossfire problems and repairs

Old 06-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Index of Crossfire problems and repairs

Wow. This thread is fantastic. Down the rabbit hole I go.....There's...just....sooo.....much.......

Old 08-30-2017, 07:59 AM
Default Re: Index of Crossfire problems and repairs

Thank You so much, new owner

Old 04-06-2018, 09:44 AM

I have just bought my second crossfire. I bought my 1st convertible when they 1st came out back in 2004. Anyway I sold it about 5 years later with the idea that I would get another one someday. Well about 4 months ago I bought another one. I am having a ball fixing it up to make like new and as stock as possible. I have never work on cars per say,I am more of a woodworking guy. But this is a lot of fun. This forum is great. I never new there are so many fixes and improvements for this car. Anyway back to the crossfire. Does anybody have the same problem I am having regarding shifting up in the 1st and 2nd gear shifting. It is very sticky hard to downshift to second act. As I remember my first one did the same thing. Is there a fix for this problem. Mike

Old 06-13-2018, 03:53 PM

That list must have taken a month of Sundays to compile! Danke schoen!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Unhappy Re: Index of Crossfire problems and repairs - hydraulic cylinders

Good morning,

I am new to this site and trying to find step by step instructions on how to remove the hydraulic cylinders for my convertible roof. I've hit on multiple threads thanking people for advice and remarking it was easier than they thought, but I cannot find a thread that actually describes the process!

Your site helped me diagnose the problem easily and I am recently retired and ready to get more familiar with my car. Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for doing this for allow of us!

Janet
jmckim0@gmail.com

Old 06-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

I have decided that this thread has become unmanageable and I will no longer edit or add to it.
I cannot control my edits to it as they may or may not do as I want, most times they do not.
It is too frustrating.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 195 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Re: Index of Crossfire problems, repairs and How Too's

Hey 180,

caledon ??

my grandmother was born there. Dwyer was her maiden name. Moved to NYC for Nursing School in 1912 and raised a life there.

she was cousins to the McCormacks and Smalls. The dwyers donated land where a 100 year old plus church stands today. Graveyard next to it where she was brought back to for burial back in 1965.

sound familiar ?

joe

Old 07-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Default Re: Index of Crossfire problems, repairs and How Too's

J
Originally Posted by JoeO
Hey 180,

caledon ??

my grandmother was born there. Dwyer was her maiden name. Moved to NYC for Nursing School in 1912 and raised a life there.

she was cousins to the McCormacks and Smalls. The dwyers donated land where a 100 year old plus church stands today. Graveyard next to it where she was brought back to for burial back in 1965.

sound familiar ?

joe
Hi, Caledon covers a big area, we have Caledon East and Caledon village, the whole area is called Caledon Township. There are quite a few churches scattered about. What denomination is the Church? What name.
If you give me a clue I will go there and take some photos, maybe find the grave.
Edit
I have found it, Your grandmothers name was Mary Ellen Dwyer, her name is listed in the burials, 1965. The Church is some four miles from me.
I will PM the website to you.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-10-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how to repair the remote

Last edited by dahntahn; 07-17-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the link
i tap the 2005 PDF or any other PDF and the link does not open
tried all links with same result
patrick

Old 08-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by massgold
Thanks for the link
patrick
Got adobe?
Got decent download speed?

They all work for me.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by massgold
Thanks for the link
patrick
It will not open up directly, you have to open the file using the downloaded files button. In Windows 10 it shows up blue in the top right of the screen.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:52 PM

Thank you, the link works on my desktop. Wish we can see how many graphite grey standard 2005 were made. I mean with the tuxedo interior .
Maybe see you in woodward this weekend.

Patrick

Old 08-20-2019, 08:16 PM

how can i check my automatic trans fluid.?just replaced it, a little over a year, noticed a couple slips already...pre-thanx to all.( oh, sorry.2004 base crossfire)

Old 08-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

from post 83:

"I have just bought my second crossfire. I bought my 1st convertible when they 1st came out back in 2004. Anyway I sold it about 5 years later with the idea that I would get another one someday. Well about 4 months ago I bought another one. I am having a ball fixing it up to make like new and as stock as possible. I have never work on cars per say,I am more of a woodworking guy. But this is a lot of fun. This forum is great. I never new there are so many fixes and improvements for this car. Anyway back to the crossfire. Does anybody have the same problem I am having regarding shifting up in the 1st and 2nd gear shifting. It is very sticky hard to downshift to second act. As I remember my first one did the same thing. Is there a fix for this problem. Mike
"

i bought my manual 2005 coupe (some 65,000 miles on it) on this 4th of july and didnt feel comfortable shifting gears. a little bit rough i mean.
i drove manual all my life until 9 years ago, when circumstances made me drive automatics, so i atributed to that my being a little bit out of practice.
then as i went to the woodward madness with my son, he mentioned that could hear a faint nose coming from the rear so i took it to my mechanic, asking him to check transmission and differental.
he learned that the dif oil was black so replaced it.
the moment i began driving it was like being up on a cloud! no more thinking that i was out of touch nothing. smooth as silk. better than new.
so i wonder if could be convenient checking the differential oil?
just an idea...

Last edited by phil alvirez; 08-22-2019 at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JustSynthetic.com (09-13-2021)
Old 08-23-2019, 07:26 PM

trying to find the right oil for the differential, found this:
from page 245 of manual, synthetic SAE 75W85 that meets MB 231.1 specs.
and those specs are here:
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/231.1_en.html
very precise; specific type.
but also found a thread in which several fellows mention that they use assorted kinds. will try to bring those comments.
my doubt comes from the fact that the manual is very specific so i guess that we must be very precise on the use of the oil recommended by MB.
comments?

Old 08-24-2019, 06:13 AM

this is the link with the comments: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tenance-2.html

the manual (page 221) says that "under normal operation conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will give satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle. fluid changes are not necessary unless the lubricant has become contaminated with water."
the moral is that better check it. you never know how is it until then. and use exactly the oil recommended. i did.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:59 PM

found this regarding viscosity:
" The difference is the viscosity when hot.
Oils without the "W" do not have a cold viscosity test. 75W gear oil has a maximum viscosity of 150,000 mPa.s @ -40°C. (I know, meaningless numbers for most of us, except that the test is at -40°.)
90 wt. gear oil, including 75W-90 has a hot viscosity range @ 100°C of 13.5 to 24 centiStokes. 140 wt. has a 100°C viscosity range of 24 to 41 centiStokes. Again more less-than-meaningful numbers, but note that there is a range of viscosities and that 140 might be much thicker than 90 when hot. Interesting note...90 wt. has about the same viscosity as a 40 wt or 50 wt motor oil. Motor oil viscosity grade numbers range from 0W to 60, and automotive gear oil numbers range from 70W to 250--75W wt. gear oil is about as thick as 10W or 20 wt. motor oil.
Is thicker better? Not necessarily. You need the viscosity the design engineers specified for proper flow into the parts. Excessive viscosity can result in churning of the oil and the generation of additional heat. "
and much more: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

Last edited by phil alvirez; 08-25-2019 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phil alvirez:
JustSynthetic.com (09-13-2021), MySpainards04isBRG (11-17-2020)
Old 08-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Re: Index of Crossfire problems and repairs/Radio Problems

Hello all, I've just joined this forum-I got my 2004 Crossfire Coupe (5-Speed Auto) a week ago. Picked it up in Tucson Arizona and drove it to my home in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Greatest driving experience ever!!!
One problem so far:the sound system. Previous owner took out the Infinity radio and replaced it with a Pioneer radio (DEH-6800BS). Problem is, all the sound is coming out of the two mid-range speakers alone. No sound is heard from the other two small speakers on the door (high-end ones?) and although I can feel the two sub-woofers vibrating I cannot really hear any sound coming out.
I'd really appreciate anyone sending me tips on how to resolve this problem. Rocking out the tunes while driving my Crossfire was one of the dreams (I'm recently retired) and this problem is really harshing my mellow!
Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:45 PM

Two years ago I was going through the forum looking for the fix to the hydraulic system for my convertible top. Well the top is fix . As I was looking I found a note from somebody that was titled something like " You just purchased a Crossfire and here is what I suggest you do". His list included the RCM problem, sticky key, horny horn fix, plus several others. All the things on the list are addressed somewhere in the forum and a novice like myself is able to implement then successfully. I got my 05 convertible in 05 and have 49000 miles on it today. I have done several items on the list over time and want to see what else needs doing. Can anyone help me find that note or several of us generate a new list.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Index of Crossfire problems and repairs