TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

serpentine belt replacement

Old 08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: serpentine belt replacement

Originally Posted by Sarina
Well I gave up on the alternator since I can't seem to get to one of the bolts in the back (bottom). I did get the S-blet off and the two alternator bolts. I can't really see what else is holding it on or how to get it to come out. Oh well, I did try.
I have not done this, but if I recall correctly there are sleeves that are at the front of the alternator just behind the bolt heads. These slide into the alternator casting and the mounting bracket on the engine. The bolts are inside these sleeves. The photo on the forum that I recall shows these sleeves, you will see them behind the bolt head and are larger than the bolt head in diameter. It is these sleeves that push the alternator back against the rear mounting bracket.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-03-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Did you look in the on manual for the procedure?

Other owners in your area. Maybe someone will lend a hand.

Or drive out here and I'll help!
Thanks so much for the offer. I do not have an owners manual for the car. It is on my list to buy along with a few other things. I guess I should have ordered it first. I did look at one I have saved and downloaded on my PC, but there is nothing about alternators in it. I did try my hand at it again (I'm a bit tenacious) and have it jacked up and secured now. I just can't seem to find how to loosen it. The two main bolts are out and I'll admit, my engine is DIRTY!! Embarassingly so. At least I know now what else to put on that wish list of mine. Anyway, I am about to go crawl back under and see just what is holding it on so tight. Could it be ther grease? Is it ok to take a rubber mallot to it and give it a few bangs of encouragement??

Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Did you look in the on manual for the procedure?

Other owners in your area. Maybe someone will lend a hand.

Or drive out here and I'll help!
I can't even find my rubber mallot!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Thanks so much for the offer. I do not have an owners manual for the car. It is on my list to buy along with a few other things. I guess I should have ordered it first. I did look at one I have saved and downloaded on my PC, but there is nothing about alternators in it. I did try my hand at it again (I'm a bit tenacious) and have it jacked up and secured now. I just can't seem to find how to loosen it. The two main bolts are out and I'll admit, my engine is DIRTY!! Embarassingly so. At least I know now what else to put on that wish list of mine. Anyway, I am about to go crawl back under and see just what is holding it on so tight. Could it be ther grease? Is it ok to take a rubber mallot to it and give it a few bangs of encouragement??
My instruction sheet above came from the 2004 Repair Manual which can be downloaded from this site on this forum.
Is it the one you have already?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html
Follow the instructions to download files. It says SRT6 but that is not true, it is confusing and I am sure some people see that and do not bother to look at it. It may have started out as an SRT6 thread but other info is on there. It should be in the Coupe section, but nobody wants to upset the apple cart and annoy some tender souls.
Hey Mods, why not move the documentation thread to where it should be?

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
My instruction sheet above came from the 2004 Repair Manual which can be downloaded from this site on this forum.
Is it the one you have already?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ollection.html
Follow the instructions to download files. It says SRT6 but that is not true, it is confusing and I am sure some people see that and do not bother to look at it. It may have started out as an SRT6 thread but other info is on there. It should be in the Coupe section, but nobody wants to upset the apple cart and annoy some tender souls.
Hey Mods, why not move the documentation thread to where it should be?
Ok. Well I'm glad it wasn't me! So apparently the person who replaced the alternator to begin with tightened the bolts too far in causing the spring pin to basically mount against the alternator. Fortunately my genius husband, who is very proud of how much I did accomplish, used a piece of brass and his air gun to tap the alternator back a bit-cuz it wasn't budging. Thanks so much for all your help, guidance, and support. I was very happy with my success of removing the fan, the belt, and the two bolts (all without the use of power tools-and while cooking a fabulous dinner). Really, thanks again everyone. It's nice to have this forum group to count on.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM

Ok. Well I'm glad it wasn't me! So apparently the person who replaced the alternator to begin with tightened the bolts too far in causing the spring pin to basically mount against the alternator. Fortunately my genius husband, who is very proud of how much I did accomplish, used a piece of brass and his air gun to tap the alternator back a bit-cuz it wasn't budging. Thanks so much for all your help, guidance, and support. I was very happy with my success of removing the fan, the belt, and the two bolts (all without the use of power tools-and while cooking a fabulous dinner). Really, thanks again everyone. It's nice to have this forum group to count on.
OK, so the sleeve does not enter the alternator, it just pushes the alternator against the back mounting plate. I guess it seizes up a bit and locks the alternator in place.
Tighten these bolts up to spec on assembly or they may come loose.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
OK, so the sleeve does not enter the alternator, it just pushes the alternator against the back mounting plate. I guess it seizes up a bit and locks the alternator in place.
Tighten these bolts up to spec on assembly or they may come loose.
Exactly! and thanks again-you were a huge help.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Thumbs up Re: serpentine belt replacement

Thank you all again!!! Once more you saved the day and saved us a whole lot of money.
My serpentine belt shredded yesterday while I was on the highway, taking a really deep curve to exit onto another highway.
Power steering went out, battery light went on. And of course, no where to pull over. The temperature rose very quickly to the red, so I immediately turned the heater on full blast and got the needle back down. Finally there was an area to pull over safely. Had the car towed back to the house and my husband just put a new belt on according to the directions shown here. Yay!!! You all are awesome! You have saved us thousands over the last few years!

Last edited by sa_red; 11-13-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:41 PM

Well...is my face red! Matches my Xfire...I thought replacing the serpentine belt was the sum of all our problems. Wrong! Turns out we have to replace the idler pulley. So it's almost fixed. Had to order the part and will pick it up on Tuesday (along with the relay for the power seats - driver seat is stuck in position for my 5'3" in height, so my 6'7" husband can't drive it at all! LOL) Now we realized the pulley was bad because we had "that whining sound" several of y'all have been describing. I'll let y'all know when it's all done.

Then I just need to find a driver side visor and the hydraulic arm that holds the hood open. After that she'll be like brand new.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sa_red
Well...is my face red! Matches my Xfire...I thought replacing ..............Tuesday (along with the relay for the power seats - driver seat is stuck in position for my 5'3" in height, so my 6'7" husband can't drive it at all! LOL)
Does the passenger seat work? If it does it may be a fuse that is blown - fuse #22 under the hood and not the relay. A broken relay will affect both but not just one.

Have you checked to see if the seat will move when, a, the door is open or b, when the door is closed.

If it will work in just one of these conditions then it is a 10 cent part inside is broken but not worth fixing if the part is cheap enough.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:35 PM

how do i remove the idler pulley

Old 12-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by CAKESC69
how do i remove the idler pulley
Undo the Torx screw. It's a tamper proof T50m as you can see.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a good thread! It's my turn to replace the belt... I noticed cracks on the edges yesterday while putting in a brand new Optima RedTop in the car. By the way, my optima lasted 4 years, considering all the gadgets and capacitor, that battery lasted a long time. I used a battery tender on it once for 6 months straight while I has in Iraq.

My xfire is a 2004 with 38K miles I figured its 9 years old. What else should I buy due to its age? Thanks

Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jenwhite
where did you buy your belt and how much does it cost? im lookin for low cost serpentine belts for 08 Chrysler... I tried to check online and it was $40, looking for a cheaper one... thanks
SRT6 or NA ? ( they are different belts )
ooops, since you said an '08, it is NA ( no SRT6's that year )

RockAuto Auto Parts

discount coupon : Rock Auto Coupon Codes: Get $7 Off w/ July 2012 Coupons, Promo Codes

You should be able to get one for around $15 total ........

Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 PM

I have seen the post on belt removal but do not understand it. Can I simply use a 17mm to relieve the tensioner on the belt? It mentions a torex but what part does it play in releasing the belt tension?

any help will be appreciated

Also I am looking to replace the a/c clutch and it has 8 grooves instead of 6 like the regular XF. Any ideas where i can get one. The part # would be invaluable. It would be easier that just replacing the bearing. regular xf bearings and clutches are very easily located but not srt

Last edited by crossfire@srt; 08-18-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: need to add a thought
Old 08-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by crossfire@srt
I have seen the post on belt removal but do not understand it. Can I simply use a 17mm to relieve the tensioner on the belt? It mentions a torex but what part does it play in releasing the belt tension?

any help will be appreciated
T
Also I am looking to replace the a/c clutch and it has 8 grooves instead of 6 like the regular XF. Any ideas where i can get one. The part # would be invaluable. It would be easier that just replacing the bearing. regular xf bearings and clutches are very easily located but not srt
The SRT6 tensioner does not have the 17 mm hex moulded onto it, you have to use a Torx bit in the screw head. Make sure that it is the largest bit that fits in the sctprew or the Torx socket will be ruinrped and you are screwed.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:05 AM

Has anyone had this happen? Driving normally down the interstate. AC stopped cooling, Battery Light came on. Pulled over to the shoulder quickly because I knew the Serpentine Belt must have broken.
I found the belt was laying down in front of the engine. It did not break. I looked at all the pulleys and noticed a small one in the Center Right of the front of the engine that had burnt rubber on it. This pulley would not turn. All other pulleys turned (except the Engine Crank Pulley).
I had it taken to the dealer and was informed that the Water Pump bearing failed. Just wanted to know if that pulley that is locked is part of the water pump.
Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by jrhack
Has anyone had this happen? Driving normally down the interstate. AC stopped cooling, Battery Light came on. Pulled over to the shoulder quickly because I knew the Serpentine Belt must have broken.
I found the belt was laying down in front of the engine. It did not break. I looked at all the pulleys and noticed a small one in the Center Right of the front of the engine that had burnt rubber on it. This pulley would not turn. All other pulleys turned (except the Engine Crank Pulley).
I had it taken to the dealer and was informed that the Water Pump bearing failed. Just wanted to know if that pulley that is locked is part of the water pump.
Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
Standing in front of the car the water pump is on the left (passenger side) it has a black painted pulley with a solid front face to it. The pulley on the center right you mention is an idler pulley, it has a vaned front face, it has nothing to do with the water pump.
You can turn the water pump pulley by hand and see if the bearing is grinding.

CLICK for positions of the various pulleys and a diagram.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-28-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info. This site rocks!

Old 01-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I need help the belt came loose and followed directions to put the new one on but looks like something is missing, see pictures attached. 2004 Xfire

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0121181655.jpg (1.55 MB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg
0121181655a.jpg (1.47 MB, 44 views)

Quick Reply: serpentine belt replacement