TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

supercharger light

Old 09-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger light

Anyone know how to install a light on the supercharger clutch so from inside I know when it is on

thanks Dennis

Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: supercharger light

Originally Posted by bucksarrow
Anyone know how to install a light on the supercharger clutch so from inside I know when it is on

thanks Dennis

Should be simple, parallel a 12v lamp on the plug leading to the supercharger. When the solenoid is engaged, the lamp will light up.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: supercharger light

I had done it with a led, which is polarity sensitive. The supercharger magnet leads are accessable , just done leave bare wires !!!!! Woody

Old 09-26-2017, 03:36 PM

which wire is the hot and which one is ground

thanks Dennis

Old 09-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

which wire is the hot and which one is ground

thanks Dennis
The red/dark green wire is the ground.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can we just run one wire to the black and pink(+?) of the SC clutch and then ground the light wherever convenient in the area of light placement? Or do we need to tap into both wires feeding the clutch? My vehicle wiring skills are limited and don't want to screw this up. I do plan on soldering and heat shrinking the connection though.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:36 PM

when the switch is on the pink and black is hot. When the supercharger is energized the ground is made [ the led is polarity sensitive] so you should be able to find a hot wire close to the dash or just run 2 wires one hot one ground.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 AM

when the switch is on the pink and black is hot. When the supercharger is energized the ground is made [ the led is polarity sensitive] so you should be able to find a hot wire close to the dash or just run 2 wires one hot one ground.
I'm sorry, but am confused. If you tap into the BK/Pk which becomes hot, wouldn't you then connect the other wire from your light to a ground, and not a "hot wire close to the dash" as you suggest?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Simply connect a 2 wire lead across the clutch connector to a LED, observing polarity with maybe a dropping resistor in series.
Run the wire up to the cowl by the driver's windshield and tape the LED to the lower part out of the line of sight.
Bada Bing, Bada Boom.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-09-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Simply connect a 2 wire lead across the clutch connector to a LED, observing polarity with maybe a dropping resistor in series.
Run the wire up to the cowl by the driver's windshield and tape the LED to the lower part out of the line of sight.
Bada Bing, Bada Boom.
Reviving an old thread here. I'm finally getting around to installing my light. I have a single 3mm 12 volt LED light rated at 12 milliamps, what size resistor would be best to place in series? I assume that the resistor is so the led light will last longer, not be too overly bright?

Old 02-03-2019, 03:00 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Reviving an old thread here. I'm finally getting around to installing my light. I have a single 3mm 12 volt LED light rated at 12 milliamps, what size resistor would be best to place in series? I assume that the resistor is so the led light will last longer, not be too overly bright?
LEDs have little internal resistance. They need a limiting resistor, otherwise they burn up, essentially instantly.
The value of the resistor depends on the current required by the LED, which should be specified by the manufacturer.

This calculator can help.
https://www.pcboard.ca/led-dropping-resistor-calculator
Use "14" for volts and "1.5" for voltage drop across LED (if not specified by the manufacturer), it can be 1.5 to 3.3 but you should be safe to assume 1.5.

If you buy an LED that says "for 12 volt operation" it already has a dropping resistor in it's leads or it's housing.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
LEDs have little internal resistance. They need a limiting resistor, otherwise they burn up, essentially instantly.
The value of the resistor depends on the current required by the LED, which should be specified by the manufacturer.

Use "14" for volts and "1.5" for voltage drop across LED (if not specified by the manufacturer), it can be 1.5 to 3.3 but you should be safe to assume 1.5.

If you buy an LED that says "for 12 volt operation" it already has a dropping resistor in it's leads or it's housing.
This exactly answers my question; thank you Mark!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

Great feedback, Mark!

Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

a 1000 ohm 1/2 watt resistor will do it easily, a light bulb will be an easier setup as its not polarity sensitive. Woody

Old 02-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
a 1000 ohm 1/2 watt resistor will do it easily, a light bulb will be an easier setup as its not polarity sensitive. Woody
Thank you, it was you that originally gave me the idea. I went ahead and bought a plug and play green LED that was made to be a dash light and velcro'd it under the hood lip, so I can see it do its thing.